Senior discounts in Europe?

shipgeeks

Many US facilities, transportation, etc., offer discounts for seniors. I don't see that on the websites of European attractions. Have any of you ever noticed, or been given, a Senior price while overseas? Did you show an AMAC or AARP card?

We haven't seen a lot of discounts. Some apply only to residents, requiring an ID card issued by that country. If you keep your eyes, open, there are discounts at many museums. DH and I have bought individual train tickets (as opposed to Eurail or other passes) and he's never gotten a discount. I'm 60 so I don't think I've ever gotten a senior discount in Europe, but he's 75 so he's gotten a few at museums.

I agree with Paul. We have done a lot of European travel and seldom find Senior discounts that apply to all seniors. In most cases they will ask for some kind of EU ID, and in other cases the discounts are limited to only folks of the specific country and sometimes to only local/regional residents. I once raised the issue at some attraction in Italy an was told that they only offer discounts to those who pay their taxes (of course we know that tourists never pay taxes).

One place we have had lots of success is with the SNCF (French railroad). We find that they will usually give a Senior Discount to nearly anyone who looks old enough (whatever that means). A couple of years ago we stopped in the Le Havre train station ticket office and got Senior Discounts (about 25% off) on tickets we bought to go to Rouen. The ticket man did speak some English so I ask him how old we had to be...and he just smiled and gave us the discounts (perhaps that was an insult). But I believe that for that purpose it is 60.

Hank

It is hit or miss. If memory serves me, and you know, if you are asking, that might be a problem, a senior discount in Finland starts at age 70. Thank goodness I'm not there quite yet but once in a while I have gotten it in other countries. Some HOHO busses offer a senior rate in Europe, some don't. The same is true for museums. I have found one of the easiest ways to get a senior discount is to prebook tickets from the US. We have never had a shore excursion with a senior discount anywhere.

It's all very variable in Europe.

As other posts, rarely seniors' discounts for transport these days.

In the UK for example seniors of any nationality can buy a card which gives a 30% (?) discount on rail travel - but you need to make a few longish journeys for it to pay for itself, so it's rarely of value to a visitor. The half-price concession for long-distance coach fares - subsidised by the Govt - stopped a few years back when the subsidy was withdrawn as part of the spending squeeze.

Yes, a lot of seniors' concessions & freebies at Govt-run sights (eg Colosseum and Pompeii) are for EU seniors only.

(EU seniors take note, mainly the concession is for over 60's - carry something which proves your age)

I've noticed that at privately-operated sights the usual half-price rates for seniors are often now only a token discount from general prices. So somewhere that used to charge say £15 but £8 for seniors might now charge £15 but £13 for seniors.

Most of London's museums & galleries are free entry to everyone.

A lot of UK restaurants/pubs offer seniors' rates at less-popular times - but generally not in tourist areas.

Generally good discounts for kids.

So a very mixed scene.

Always worth asking.;)

JB :)

In the UK at least, the discount will often be referred to as "concession" or "OAP" or "pensioner" - the last two more rarely, as they're not politically correct. They aren't normally restricted by nationality and don't usually ask for proof of age, which may be 60 or 65.

As stated above, there are few mainline transport discounts for OAPs unless you already have some sort of card. Boat trips are often excepted from this rule.

Norway often gives pensioner discounts, regardless of citizenship, and the age there is 67.

Italy gives free admission to many public sites, but only to EU citizens. Bring your passport, if you're British or European; bring your cash, if not. ;)

That's so true. DD is a fulltime university student in Rome and cannot get the student discount.

I am so surprised by this, generally if a student Identification card is produced in most of Europe the student discount will be given. Do come to London our fantastic museums are mostly free. :-)

I am so surprised by this, generally if a student Identification card is produced in most of Europe the student discount will be given. Do come to London our fantastic museums are mostly free. :-)

She is an American studying at a university in Rome. None of the non EU international students (with the student visas) have been able to get the discount.

Now they are talking about a different kind of tix for public transportation.

She has gone to England several times and lives it. Going to Bath for a MUN conference this semester.