Cycling to the OPT

• 5 years later...
On 1/23/2014 at 7:11 PM, Sparky74 said:

Do you think I can ride a bicycle to the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney?

Let me explain...

We embark Radiance of the Seas on Monday week. DW and I have been back on our diet trying to shed a few kilos before the cruise. While she has been diligently going to the gym nearly every morning I've been quite slack in the exercise department. So, I've decided to try and ride 314km on the exercise bike at the gym between now and embarkation, which is the distance by road from our home in Taree, NSW and the OPT.

Five and a half years later and I’m reviving this thread and this idea.

We now live in Cowra, NSW, and our next cruise leaves from the Adelaide Outer Harbour (1,099km away) in just under 9 weeks. I joined the local gym last week. Yesterday I cycled 20km and another 13km today. Only 1,066km to go! (17.2km/day). 

Once again, I wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew. I’m 5 years older. I’m in even worse shape than I was back then. I have less time now than I did then due to time commitments. Oh well, it’s something to aim for. I'll see how I go. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Five and a half years later and I’m reviving this thread and this idea.

We now live in Cowra, NSW, and our next cruise leaves from the Adelaide Outer Harbour (1,099km away) in just under 9 weeks. I joined the local gym last week. Yesterday I cycled 20km and another 13km today. Only 1,066km to go! (17.2km/day). 

Once again, I wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew. I’m 5 years older. I’m in even worse shape than I was back then. I have less time now than I did then due to time commitments. Oh well, it’s something to aim for. I'll see how I go. 

why don't you book your cruises earlier, that way you would not have to cycle as far every day 👍👍😂😂

It is possible if you do it every day and bump up the effort like you did last time.

If you think you are tough on yourself look at how I punish myself before and after a cruise but only in the school holidays when I get the time to do such things. This is on a bike against head winds, up hills, down hills, across busy roads weighted down with a 10kg backpack just to make it harder.

I have my health insurance backed by NIB that gives my frequent flyer points with Qantas and in the past year I have made 45000 points just by exercise. Those points would easily upgrade my economy fare to business next time I fly to Japan.

Here is a fitbit trace of where I did a ride from where the starting point is the football stadium in Newcastle where there is a car park that links up to all the bike tracks in Newcastle.

IMG_1253.PNG

Am I in trouble if I try this for my next cruise?

My cruise embarks from Honolulu and I leave in 366 days from Canberra.  So I need to cover 8,408km at about 23km per day.

Am I allowed to do this entire trip on a bike or do I have to do some on a rowing machine?

BTW, I am far more likely to go the distance in a flight simulator.

9 hours ago, banzaii said:

My cruise embarks from Honolulu and I leave in 366 days from Canberra.  So I need to cover 8,408km at about 23km per day.

Am I allowed to do this entire trip on a bike or do I have to do some on a rowing machine?

Cycle, jog, walk, drive, row, do whatever is needed to get you there.

9 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

It is possible if you do it every day and bump up the effort like you did last time.

If you think you are tough on yourself look at how I punish myself before and after a cruise...

I have my health insurance backed by NIB that gives my frequent flyer points with Qantas and in the past year I have made 45000 points just by exercise. Those points would easily upgrade my economy fare to business next time I fly to Japan...

You’re obviously much fitter than me. My BMI is currently 34.9 and while I don’t believe that's the be all and end all it paints a picture. Add to that a fairly sedentary lifestyle.

I must check out our health insurance to see if there are additional benefits. 

9 hours ago, banzaii said:

Our next 2 cruises after this one are out of Vancouver and Honolulu respectively. I'll need to think about fitness goals. A weight loss goal could be to loose my luggage allowance. Or maybe to impose a restriction of only taking luggage equivalent to the weight I loose. ie If I only loose 10kg then I can only take 10kg of luggage. I might suggest that one to DW. 🙄

It was SO HARD to get up and go to the gym this morning but I did it. I reckon when it’s even more important to do it when it’s hard. Another 20km this morning. Only 1,026km to go. (ONLY! 😂)

This morning I passed through Grenfell, birth place of Henry Lawson. 

13 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Lol, was trying to be funny, obviously it didn't work.

Keep posting Mic ..you will get there 👍

I think this forum  is great in that we can "spoke"  fun  at each other and we  all ( well..most) "handle" it without getting"barred" or "framed" by some one else.  And it's free .you don't need to " fork" out for anything. But you do get some "tyred" jokes occasionally.

Over to you mate 😁

Edited by gbenjo

12 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

I think this forum  is great in that we can "spoke"  fun  at each other and we  all ( well..most) "handle" it without getting"barred" or "framed" by some one else.  And it's free .you don't need to " fork" out for anything. But you do get some "tyred" jokes occasionally.

Over to you mate 😁

Very punny. 

It it reminds me of the old song, Daisy Bell. Many people aren’t familiar with the verses which are full of puns. 

There is a flower within my heart, Daisy, Daisy!
Planted one day by a glancing dart,
Planted by Daisy Bell!
Whether she loves me or loves me not,
Sometimes it's hard to tell;
Yet I am longing to share the lot
Of beautiful Daisy Bell!

CHORUS:
Daisy, Daisy,
Give me your answer, do!
I'm half crazy,
All for the love of you!
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage,
But you'll look sweet on the seat
Of a bicycle built for two!

We will go "tandem" as man and wife, Daisy, Daisy!
"Ped'ling" away down the road of life, I and my Daisy Bell!
When the road's dark we can both despise P'liceman and "lamps" as well;
There are "bright lights" in the dazzling eyes Of beautiful Daisy Bell!
(Chorus)

I will stand by you in "wheel" or woe, Daisy, Daisy!
You'll be the bell(e) which I'll ring you know! Sweet little Daisy Bell!
You'll take the "lead" in each "trip" we take, Then if I don't do well;
I will permit you to use the brake, My beautiful Daisy Bell!
(Chorus)

2 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Our next 2 cruises after this one are out of Vancouver and Honolulu respectively. I'll need to think about fitness goals. A weight loss goal could be to loose my luggage allowance. Or maybe to impose a restriction of only taking luggage equivalent to the weight I loose. ie If I only loose 10kg then I can only take 10kg of luggage. I might suggest that one to DW. 🙄

The problem  with that is you need warm clothing for Hawaii and Cold for Canada/Alaska.

2 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Over to you mate 😁

Thanks mate,

Sounds like some of those puns have been re Cycled..