Why not have these automatic hand washing machines on RCI ships?

LMaxwell

Disney ships (some at least, I am not very familiar) have these innovative automatic hand washing machines. I think these would be great to place at the entrance to many public venues, especially Windjammer. Probably more effective than Purell!

IMG_8626_filtered.jpg

Seems like a great thing, but I can see it slowing down the crowds a great deal. A large ship would need many many of those. I think from what I read they are outside the kids area.

I like them. I hope they get them.

Instead of sanitizing liquid, maybe they should get sanitary wipes?

Seems like a great thing, but I can see it slowing down the crowds a great deal. A large ship would need many many of those.

I agree, it would slow down crowds and large ships would need many, but as far as I am concerned it is a small price to pay to compensate for the fact that many adults practice poor personal hygiene.

I wonder if those machines JUST use cleaning solution or if ultraviolet light is employed as well. Certain UV lights can kill virus as well.

I said in another tread, will say here, would be plenty happy if Windjammer went to all staff service / no self-serve. Less food waste, less illnesses.

I agree, it would slow down crowds and large ships would need many, but as far as I am concerned it is a small price to pay to compensate for the fact that many adults practice poor personal hygiene.

I wonder if those machines JUST use cleaning solution or if ultraviolet light is employed as well. Certain UV lights can kill virus as well.

I said in another tread, will say here, would be plenty happy if Windjammer went to all staff service / no self-serve. Less food waste, less illnesses.

I agree. Too many people from too many different backgrounds equals a greater likelihood of issues.

They have manual washing stations ( sinks ) and soap and still I see people walking out of the restrooms with " pissy" hands.....:eek:....why would they bother with that Star Trek machine?

LOL! That exactly what I was thinking. You just said it so much better. :D

They have manual washing stations ( sinks ) and soap and still I see people walking out of the restrooms with " pissy" hands.....:eek:....why would they bother with that Star Trek machine?

I agree. They totally ignore the hand sanitizing machines now as it is. Some people are just slobs plain and simple.

My view is if people do not wash there hands or have gel on them then they will not put there hands in these either.!

Other than someone "policing" the washrooms and making people wash there hands they will still not do it.

From now on I think I will speak up if I see anyone going to walk out of the bathrooms and not wash there hands. Prehaps if we all did this then the problem may be avoided.

Brenda

was just off the allure a few weeks ago... there were 1800 kids plus over. 4000 adults and I never saw so much staff wiping, cleaning... constantly.. it seemed that every floor had someone constantly cleaning the hand railings... washing the elevator panels... the total ship was immaculate..when you returned from shore they didn't rely on you to put your hands under the purell machines they sprayed you.. . there were no reports of noro ..but I guess it could happen no matter how hard you clean if someone is carrying the germ.... seems previous posters have been blaming the pax... a crew member could be carrying it also... the blame game doesn't work.. it's how to prevent it

Disney ships (some at least, I am not very familiar) have these innovative automatic hand washing machines. I think these would be great to place at the entrance to many public venues, especially Windjammer. Probably more effective than Purell!

IMG_8626_filtered.jpg

Are Disney cruises just for kids? Or do couples go too?

Back to the gadget, on a scene of Babylon 5 in the men's room, they showed men holding their hands under light. Your comment on UV reminded me.

Why does the disney gadget have paper towels? Do your hands still get wet? I have to keep my hands dry to recurrent yeast infections. Liked celebrity because they have those nice cloth towels.

Edited by knittinggirl

I sailed on HAL Veendam to Bermuda 2 yrs ago and they had that very thing in their buffet dining room.

My problem with it was that the water wasn't hot enough...it was barely warm.

Oh and the 7 or 8 kids that were on the cruise thought it was a great way to fool around and play while mom and dad ate their breakfast.

I think those things are germ machines. Maybe the Disney one was better than the one on Veendam?

I sailed on HAL Veendam to Bermuda 2 yrs ago and they had that very thing in their buffet dining room.

My problem with it was that the water wasn't hot enough...it was barely warm.

Oh and the 7 or 8 kids that were on the cruise thought it was a great way to fool around and play while mom and dad ate their breakfast.

I think those things are germ machines. Maybe the Disney one was better than the one on Veendam?

They had them on Zaandam too. I never saw anyone playing with them, just using them as intended. Hot water could scald. Warm is perfect.

Unfortunately some people are lazy, rude, stupid, or selfish. Yes, maybe not everyone would use the machine, but I think a lot more people would be properly clean entering areas like Windjammer if this machine was present. The answer is NOT to not have the machine because of said lazy, rude, stupid, or selfish people; the answer is to utilize the best current technologies to reduce the risk to all passengers. Having a hand washing machine is way better than automatic gel dispensers when the gel they are dispensing is not the optimum way to deal with noro. It makes me think the sanitizing dispensers are for show and not effective.

Lots of couples go without kids. Apparently Disney keeps the kids hidden pretty well and has a lot of adult only areas. The high price of Disney keeps the rowdy party crowd away. I haven't been on Disney but am strongly considering them for the Panama Canal as they are very price competitive for that itinerary.

Back to the gadget, on a scene of Babylon 5 in the men's room, they showed men holding their hands under light. Your comment on UV reminded me.

Why does the disney gadget have paper towels? Do your hands still get wet? I have to keep my hands dry to recurrent yeast infections. Liked celebrity because they have those nice cloth towels.

I would say some couples cruise DCL too. Look at it this way, the sane demographic you'd find in Disney World or Land, is the same demographic on their cruise ships. People young and old go to see Mickey and the gang.

I believe if I read a review of disney correctly, it does get your hands wet. I believe the post I read say they had run out of paper towels by the machine and instead put a box of Kleenex. And as we all know Kleenex is useless to dry wet hands, so some people were reported as just passing the machine by

Disney doesn't have these placed all over their ships - it's located in the kids club only. Outside of their restaurants they hand out hand sanitzer wipes (I prefer the jel because I think people have to do a more thorough job of rubbing the jel in to get it to disappear than using a wipe) and the public washrooms on the ship have a regular sink .

You know that sign they have outside the MDR advising on no shorts, flip flops etc..... maybe they should replace that with a sign that states how many cases of Noro have broken out on Cruise ships in the past month and btw please sanitize your hands before entering.....

Nothing as high tech as these, but NCL put multiple touchless sink/handwashing stations right outside the entrance to the buffet on Breakaway. I always came with clean hands, so I never used sinks, though I still politely accepted the spray from the employee with hand sanitizer. In the week I was on the ship, I never once saw anybody else use the sinks, and I was in the buffet for coffee, water, ice tea, or food on a regular basis. Based on that, other than transient novelty, I doubt people would use the fancier device pictured.

This is a great idea, however, in my humbloe opinion, not necessary.

What is necessary is people need to learn good sanitary practices. This would mean washing their hands!

Also, you need to sanitize before you go to the buffet and before you eat after you have gotten your food. Just because YOU sanitized does NOT mean that others have.

Until everyone is clean this will continue to happen. Unfortunately on a cruise ship you know where it comes from - other passengers. When on land there are usually not 3000 people in the same place for a week. Therefore, you would never know there was an outbreak. You would just think you are sick.

Again, just my opinion. ;)

This may be a good idea but after watching numerous people entering the Windjammer and MDR and walking right past the hand sanitizers I doubt it would help much.

People really need to stop being so judgmental about the stupid sanitizers. There are valid reasons, including medical, some people don't use them.