Do you think it is fair for Sanctuary to be booked by B2B passengers PRIOR to cruise?

Dreamer333

As I mentined in my review of the Ruby Princess, my husband and I were among the first to arrive to the port. Because we had priority check-in, we got on board pretty quickly.

The first thing I did was go up to the Santuary to try to get a spot. The young woman told me they were all sold out for the week and for the day because B2B cruisers can make reservations on the last day of their cruise for the following cruise. In a very polite way, she basically informed me it was nearly impossible to get a booking for the week unless I'm doing a B2B cruise. She told me to make sure I come early the next day if I wanted to book for the day. (I'm not sure if the Sanctuary gets booked like this on ALL cruises, or if this one was an exception).

They open at 8am, so I went up at 7:30am, and there was already a long line, so I turned around and went and ate breakfast. I didn't try again for the rest of the cruise because it just wasn't worth getting up at standing in line.

The Santuary isn't a make or break deal for me, but it did make me think that it's not a very fair way to set it up. But I guess there really is no "fair" way of doing it because the b2b cruisers can obviously get in line the day of the new sailing before the new cruisers get onboard.

I'm not trying to create a debate about the Santuary (I know some people love it, some people don't care about it, etc).

Personally, I'd like to spend a half a day there on a sea day, however it is not worth waiting in line for an hour and a half at 6:30 in the morning.

I'm basically wondering if this is common on all ships (it gets booked prior to passengers getting on board)? If so, I'm wondering if there is a more fair way to handle it?

I don't think its fair but I also don't see a better solution. I do think they should not be allowed to book until boarding day on principle but it won't make an actual difference in logistics if they book the day before or 10:00 AM boarding day.

The other option is just to not start bookings until a certain time, but then you have people just getting in line earlier - same net effect.

Pre-selling them online would solve problem A, but then you would have the situation with Disney Cabanas, where they are gone the day they are released and no chance to actually see them.

Pre-selling them online would solve problem A...

That's not a bad idea... Reward those who book early (the early bird gets the worm).

Or perhaps hold a certain amount of spots for Elite and Platinum members to reward their loyal customers?

It's probably more of a problem on itineraries that draw a lot of back-to-back cruisers. The Ruby's short cruises probably have more of them than the Emerald's 10-day cruises.

I'm not certain if the Sanctuary sold out on our back-to-back cruises on the Ruby last month. It never seemed crowded (from our view of it from the spa pool).

As I mentined in my review of the Ruby Princess, my husband and I were among the first to arrive to the port. Because we had priority check-in, we got on board pretty quickly.

The first thing I did was go up to the Santuary to try to get a spot. The young woman told me they were all sold out for the week and for the day because B2B cruisers can make reservations on the last day of their cruise for the following cruise. In a very polite way, she basically informed me it was nearly impossible to get a booking for the week unless I'm doing a B2B cruise. She told me to make sure I come early the next day if I wanted to book for the day. (I'm not sure if the Sanctuary gets booked like this on ALL cruises, or if this one was an exception).

They open at 8am, so I went up at 7:30am, and there was already a long line, so I turned around and went and ate breakfast. I didn't try again for the rest of the cruise because it just wasn't worth getting up at standing in line.

The Santuary isn't a make or break deal for me, but it did make me think that it's not a very fair way to set it up. But I guess there really is no "fair" way of doing it because the b2b cruisers can obviously get in line the day of the new sailing before the new cruisers get onboard.

I'm not trying to create a debate about the Santuary (I know some people love it, some people don't care about it, etc).

Personally, I'd like to spend a half a day there on a sea day, however it is not worth waiting in line for an hour and a half at 6:30 in the morning.

I'm basically wondering if this is common on all ships (it gets booked prior to passengers getting on board)? If so, I'm wondering if there is a more fair way to handle it?

Sadly, it is the same a booking a specific stateroom. First come first served, with a b2b perk. Just a thought, would there be a CC member on the ship who could book you in on their last day? Would any CC member have some thoughts on this?;)

What if they didn't take reservations until say an hour after muster. That way, everyone would have the same chance to pick a seat? It would have to be a certain time after muster as B2Bers do not have to attend the second muster. Yes, it might mess up dinner plans, but everyone would have the same chance to get one it they really wanted one. The day you board could be a day pass only and could then be put towards the full cruise if you get a seat for the rest of the cruise?

I always get a balcony and am happy to sit there, so don't need to go for the 'special' ones. Just trying to add to the idea list. . .

What if they didn't take reservations until say an hour after muster. That way, everyone would have the same chance to pick a seat? It would have to be a certain time after muster as B2Bers do not have to attend the second muster. Yes, it might mess up dinner plans, but everyone would have the same chance to get one it they really wanted one. The day you board could be a day pass only and could then be put towards the full cruise if you get a seat for the rest of the cruise?

I always get a balcony and am happy to sit there, so don't need to go for the 'special' ones. Just trying to add to the idea list. . .

The B2Bers would just start to line up during muster....same problem.

We have never used the Santuary but when I read your first post about the problem you ran in to I remarked to my DH that I did not think this was fair. I don't have a solution but I would address this situation when you receive your post cruise questionaire.

We were one of the b2b people on your cruise. We were able to book the sanctuary when we board on the 18th and were the 2nd people couple in line when we boarded.

We did book the same chairs for our 2nd cruise which is the one you came on board for. We actually went to pay for the 2nd sailing after we came back on board at 11:15 since they didn't open until 10 am. I checked at that time how many reservations they already had because our friends were boarding with you. (As they were not Elite or Platinum we knew they wouldn't be boarding first, so they didn't bother once on board.) At that point, there were still reservations to be had as not many of the b2b people had reserved their beds again. I saw the reservation sheet as they highlight the beds that are taken. They only reserve 26 I believe and about half were taken by the b2b people. I do know that by 12:15 all the cruise long reservations were taken. Remember, Elites board first and they came up quickly.

There were seats left on some of the days as I know someone who got it the last 2 days. The last sea day they were up there at 7 am and were the 2nd on line to reserve for the whole day.

The Sanctuary has sold out on every sailing Caribbean sailing that we have been on and it always seems to be the shade spots that go first.

I know how disappointing it is and I'm sorry you weren't able to get the reservation that you wanted. For me, it was one of the perks of booking a b2b because I figured that if I didn't get it the first leg, I would the 2nd.

Sadly, it is the same a booking a specific stateroom. First come first served, with a b2b perk. Just a thought, would there be a CC member on the ship who could book you in on their last day? Would any CC member have some thoughts on this?;)

You can only book for the people in your cabin.

I wonder if this same situation happens to other areas of the ship. I know they claim to only sell so many passes to the thermal suite.

I'm still wrestling with the is it fair, but I can also see it as a perk, my wording not Princess, for b2b cruisers.

Why not raise the price of the Sanctuary until there are spots available?:D

That would give Princess extra income where maybe they could stop cutting back on internet for suite passengers and the eucalyptus bath products et al.

I'm ready. . . .

Mike:p

No adult only pools are restricted. On the Coral and Island only there is a separate pool aft that is part of the sanctuary, but that is not the adult pool.

I think I need to add this to the FAQ.

I may be wrong but I thought I read on here that some ships, the adult pool, is only accessible through the Sanctuary. We are looking at Panama Canal in Fall and if we can't book the Sanctuary, can't enjoy that pool.

Why not raise the price of the Sanctuary until there are spots available?:D

That would give Princess extra income where maybe they could stop cutting back on internet for suite passengers and the eucalyptus bath products et al.

I'm ready. . . .

Mike:p

LOVE IT!!!

Why not do a lotto system like the ship's tour. I've used the Sanctuary only a few times and it really is not for me. There are times I want the sun and other times I want the shade. Heck, why not make it open seating - I'd try to book it more then. I was told by a staff member that a good chunk of the people reserving it are people who book insides and don't spend the money on balconies because this way is so much cheaper for them. They don't spend a lot for a vacation doing b2b2b2b's that way. Princess wants people to spend money so maybe if they did use another system that doesn't allow b2b people first chance, these people might upgrade cabins. Remember - it is all about the $$$$$.

You can only book for the people in your cabin.
Not true. You can book for anyone as long as you're paying for it.

How full the Sanctuary is depends on the cruise. The one before mine a couple of weeks ago was mostly full. I went directly on boarding and was the only one. I booked loungers for both my daughter and myself (she was in a separate cabin.) We were the only people there most of the cruise. Sometimes, a couple of people booked for the afternoon but it was essentially empty. This was a week ago.

I thought that the aft pools on the Island and Coral used to be adults only before they added the Sanctuary to those ships. Once they did, the pools, because of their location, were made off limits to anyone who did not have a pass to the Sanctuary.

Not true. You can book for anyone as long as you're paying for it.

How full the Sanctuary is depends on the cruise. The one before mine a couple of weeks ago was mostly full. I went directly on boarding and was the only one. I booked loungers for both my daughter and myself (she was in a separate cabin.) We were the only people there most of the cruise. Sometimes, a couple of people booked for the afternoon but it was essentially empty. This was a week ago.

I had asked about this and they had told me that I could only book for my husband and I. With our friends coming on board for the 2nd sailing, I had asked if I could book for them and charge it to my cabin knowing that they would pay me back later and was told no.

I guess I am the odd man out in this discussion because I do think it is fair, in as much as anything with a limited supply is fair. I might want a seat there if I had an inside or ocean view cabin. If I had a balcony or above I would be on my balcony. Regardless, taking this further, if I booked a cruise today for this weekend would it be fair that I only had a choice of two or three less than perfect inside cabins. Yes, I waited. The B2B people got to book first. I say it is the same as waiting to book the cruise. Nobody promised me fairness whether actually fair or perceived fair.