Which Ship/Line Has Highest Space/Passenger Ratio?

LBeeE

Which cruise ships/lines have the most amount of space-to-passenger ratio?

If you had looked at the table on my post, you would have known the exact ratios on all the ships out there. Turns out that 2 Silversea ships had the highest ratio.

It is always useful to try to find the facts instead of just making guesses.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

If you had looked at the table on my post, you would have known the exact ratios on all the ships out there. Turns out that 2 Silversea ships had the highest ratio.

It is always useful to try to find the facts instead of just making guesses.

DON

Ummm...nope.

Seabourn Odyssey, Seabourn Quest, Seabourn Sojurn: 70

Silver Shadow, Silver Whisper: 65.87

Wow, talk about a wild guess.

Celebrity R Class: 35/36; S Class: 38/39

Virtually identical to HAL and Princess--and lower than the newer Carnival ships.

Carnival Breeze's space ratio is 34.8, lower than the ships of the other cruise lines you mentioned.

The chart that donaldsc posted is a great response and provides "The ship’s “space ratio” (by definition) is the enclosed space (measured in ft3/cubic feet) per passenger." And the information is interesting and probably answers the question (without guessing).

However, I would be interested in knowing if that's what the OP really wanted to know of if he/she wanted to know the most cabin space or the most passenger common areas space.

The "enclosed space" includes all of the backroom space (engine room, kitchen, staff quarters, offices etc.) It probably coincides with the ration of common area space - but might not.

For me, cabin space (and cabin space per dollar) and the FEEL of lack of crowding, which might not coincide with space per passenger that are important.

Some of the lines that go for a more Las Vegas feeling, at least to me, feel more crowded than a ship that has a more tranquil ambiance but might actually have fewer square feet per passenger.

As others have pointed out, it is not even close between the Mass Market lines (HAL, RCI, Celebrity, Carnival, etc) and the ultra-luxury lines like Seabourn, Silverseas, Sea Dream, etc. Among the mass market lines (and we have been on more then 65 different ships of 14 cruise lines) we have found space ratio not to be a great predictor of the apparent space aboard. Reality is that it can be more important how the space is allocated then how much total space. Some ships have a lot of wasted space in huge atriums...whereas others might have a smaller atrium and larger public rooms. And then there are some ships which do not seem to have enough open deck space causing all kinds of shortages (and flared tempers) because passengers cannot find a deck chair on a Caribbean cruise. Perhaps the statement that size does not matter as much as how you use it....is the real important issue :)

Hank

atriums...

Hank

I have a really dumb question that has nothing to do with cruising -

What is the plural of atrium? According to dictionary.com, the answer is

"Atrium definition, the main or central room of an ancient Roman house, open to the sky at the center and usually having a pool for the ... noun, plural atria."

I once saw a woman who was wearing a shirt that said "vasser alumnae". You have to really respect someone like that.

Just thought that everyone should know this totally useless piece of information.

DON

Ok, thank you for the responses and the chart. Here's a follow-up question. Which ships do you feel are most spacious, even when they might not be according to the numbers? Regarding the question about whether I meant cabins or common areas, well both I guess, but really common areas I think are more important for space. As someone said, I didn't enjoy not being able to find a deck chair on my Caribbean cruise in June. It was a problem for sure. The pools were packed, the deck party was packed, to the point of just being unenjoyable. I'm just trying to do something a little different next time around. We have done RCL twice but would like to try some other options.

Some other follow-up questions:

-Which ships/lines have the best food?

-Which ships/lines have the best entertainment?

-Which ships/lines will make me feel less like I'm being herded around like cattle, and more like, this is MY vacation?

-And another, while I realize this will be individualized per cruise, per week, per ship, but what about most courteous passengers? Honestly, I have some medical issues where I can't stand long periods of time. On our cruise in June I had to sit down in lines, and when it was our turn to move forward, even with my husband whisking me to my feet as fast as he could, passengers behind us took the opportunity to bypass us and cut in line around us while I was getting up - EVERY TIME! Dozens of them! It was so incredibly rude! And it made me very upset because I didn't ask for this problem, we paid hard-earned money for our trip too! I don't desire to be around people like that again!

-Which ships/lines will make me feel less like I'm being herded around like cattle, and more like, this is MY vacation?

You really should look at the luxury or premium lines - of those, I only have experience with Crystal, but I can honestly say there were almost no lines and no problem getting seats at the buffet or pool. The cruise I was on sailed at full capacity (with respect to the number of cabins, though many cabins had 1 not 2 passengers), yet the only lineups I saw were one at check in on the ship, and one to order food at the grill on embarkation day. That was it - for the entire 10 day cruise. No lines for boarding or disembarkation, no lines to get on or off at the ports, etc.

The best food? That's a very personal choice, but again you'll find the luxury and premium lines generally speaking have food that more people would consider better.

The best entertainment? Again, it will vary with individuals. I don't like production type of stage shows, and so I didn't like those on Crystal any more than the ones on HAL, since I didn't like either of them, but I heard others on board saying how great they were. On the other hand, I loved the classical trio and lounge piano on Crystal, but others might find them sleep-inducing.

I have a really dumb question that has nothing to do with cruising -

What is the plural of atrium? According to dictionary.com, the answer is

"Atrium definition, the main or central room of an ancient Roman house, open to the sky at the center and usually having a pool for the ... noun, plural atria."

I once saw a woman who was wearing a shirt that said "vasser alumnae". You have to really respect someone like that.

Just thought that everyone should know this totally useless piece of information.

DON

According to Merriam-Webster it can be atria or atriums.

Had to really laugh at Don's fascinating (but useless) post. DW (who is my personal authority in such matters) says the answer is Atria! But not sure I could respect anyone who used "atria" instead of "atriums." :)

Hank

I know some architects and planners. While I can not say for ships, I suspect a similar problem occurs as with buildings -- and let's face it, most of the ship is a floating hotel. How many square feet or square metres are in a building depends on how you count it and the companies will count to make stats sound good. Cabins and halls will always be counted but the space in all the other cabins but mine is lost to me. Likewise, a nicely designed hall is seldom mentioned in reviewing the photographs. And don't get me started with a staircase! Some real estate rules allow it to be counted as floor space for both of the floors it reaches between!

I appreciate the post with the stats on the space per passenger, but without knowing who supplied the numbers and that all were collected under the same rule, only the biggest of patterns should be used. It was not surprising at all who had the highest ratio. Most of the mass market ships scored about the same. Give what I have seen of architecture, the feel of space is designed into a building and would matter more than the absolute number.

My 3 cents Canadian.

Ok, thank you for the responses and the chart. Here's a follow-up question. Which ships do you feel are most spacious, even when they might not be according to the numbers? Regarding the question about whether I meant cabins or common areas, well both I guess, but really common areas I think are more important for space. As someone said, I didn't enjoy not being able to find a deck chair on my Caribbean cruise in June. It was a problem for sure. The pools were packed, the deck party was packed, to the point of just being unenjoyable. I'm just trying to do something a little different next time around. We have done RCL twice but would like to try some other options.

-And another, while I realize this will be individualized per cruise, per week, per ship, but what about most courteous passengers? Honestly, I have some medical issues where I can't stand long periods of time. On our cruise in June I had to sit down in lines, and when it was our turn to move forward, even with my husband whisking me to my feet as fast as he could, passengers behind us took the opportunity to bypass us and cut in line around us while I was getting up - EVERY TIME! Dozens of them! It was so incredibly rude! And it made me very upset because I didn't ask for this problem, we paid hard-earned money for our trip too! I don't desire to be around people like that again!

Book the small luxury ships and you'll have great food, generally extremely polite and pleasant fellow travelers, and NO LINES. Entertainment is subjective.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Allow me to highly recommend HAL's R or S class ships for your requirements. You will be pleasantly surprised!

HAL is in the lower side for public space.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...