Barcelona hotels

Tbay

I'd much rather be in the city. Quite frankly the cruise terminals are pretty close to town....really close actually.....and in between the terminals and the airport is, at least to my one trip through that area, mostly light industrial. Not much to be gained by not going into town.

I'd much rather be in the city. Quite frankly the cruise terminals are pretty close to town....really close actually.....and in between the terminals and the airport is, at least to my one trip through that area, mostly light industrial. Not much to be gained by not going into town.

As a part-time Barcelonian, you are correct. There are some suburbs between downtown and the airport but there is really no reason to stay there. Downtown offers the most convenient and inexpensive way to get to the airport either by the "aerobus" from Plaza Cataluna or Renfe train from Sants. Passieg de Gracia or Estacion Franca. If your need to be close to the airport is predicated on catching an early morning flight, then there some hotels within a 10 minute cab ride from the airport.

Don't expect to find much (if anything) in the way of a Barcelona Hotel that has a shuttle from the airport and to the pier. If they exist, I didn't find them when I researched a few months ago.

Look instead for the type of hotel you want, price, and location compared to what you want to see while there.

We were traveling with another couple and before we went on the cruise we decided to get a limo service for the four of us. It helps that unfortunately both couples pack like they're leaving home for good and not going on a cruise. We knew we were going to have probably somewhere around eight large bags plus carry-on luggage so a service made sense. In looking on line at taxi costs and reading recommendations on CC we had a service pick us up at the airport, even though the couples were arriving from two different cities about 45 minutes apart, and then pick us up two days later at the hotel and take us to the terminal. Worked great and really wasn't significantly more expensive than two taxis.....and that's assuming we could have gotten our significant luggage in one of the small taxis. Language with the service was not an issue.

Edited by Randyk47

We were traveling with another couple and before we went on the cruise we decided to get a limo service for the four of us. It helps that unfortunately both couples pack like they're leaving home for good and not going on a cruise. We knew we were going to have probably somewhere around eight large bags plus carry-on luggage so a service made sense. In looking on line at taxi costs and reading recommendations on CC we had a service pick us up at the airport, even though the couples were arriving from two different cities about 45 minutes apart, and then pick us up two days later at the hotel and take us to the terminal. Worked great and really wasn't significantly more expensive than two taxis.....and that's assuming we could have gotten our significant luggage in one of the small taxis. Language with the service was not an issue.

actually we are doing the same thing - sharing a private transfer - by the time you do the numbers, not much difference.

For the OP, we normally stay on Las Ramblas or Barri Gottic but since we are arriving at Festival time we are staying in Eijample (sp?) It's another avenue to check out as it's not that far from everything and if you get a spot close to the ho ho buses and the metro, life is very easy.

We have stayed in Barcelona a few times, twice at Hiltons, once at the Arts Hotel, these are all on the expensive side. Last time we stayed at the airport at a Marriott related property, that has since changed hands.

Going again in April of this year, again staying at the airport -- this time at Tryp Barcelona Aeropuerto (hotel). We find it is just as easy to stay at the airport and take a taxi to or from the port. Not that far, 15-20 ride by taxi. This hotel has a shuttle to the airport. Hotel rates are reasonable at the airport.

We take the airporter bus in to the center of Barcelona for day trips.

Love Barcelona, plan to be there 3 days.

We stayed at Continental HOtel right on Las Ramblas and literally around the corner from the taxi line up and if you can handle your luggage it's very close to the area in Placa Catalunya where you can catch the Aerobus to and from the Airport.

We walked there with our suitcases, and took the aerobus, it was less than 6 Euro per person to and from the airport.

It's definitely not a fancy hotel but the price is good and they free beer and wine and some snacks out all day and the wrought iron balconies over Las Ramblas are priceless to watch the action. Good Luck

We stayed at Hotel 1898 on La Rambla. Doesn't satisfy your shuttle option, but cabs are plentiful.

Comfortable hotel. Great city!

+1 for the Hotel 1898, great location, excellent service and amazing rooms. A little pricey but loved it.

This is a rather new hotel with free wifi, non smoking, wonderful breakfast. It is near the zoo. Bus 14 stops right at the hotel and we were able to get the train from the airport and then the bus to check in.

When it was time to go to the port we got on Bus 14, rode to the area near the port and rode the bus there that takes you to the ship. It was very easy.

We do not travel with a lot of luggage and this worked well for us.

The area is quieter than Las Ramblas and the bus goes quickly from the city center to the hotel. The Born area restaurants are also nearby and are wonderful.

The staff was also the best!

Have fun!

We stayed 2 nights at the NH Calderon-incredible Las Ramblas location-you can walk, grab a bus or taxi or whatever close by. Seems to be more of a business hotel so we had a great weekend rate that included a wonderful breakfast. You can check it out at

http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotels/spain/barcelona/nh-calderon.html?nhagentid=10166&nhsubagentid=101660000000&oodc=63_49313&source=adwords&gclid=CKWTtKyQubwCFVGBfgodRyIAeQ

Gary

I would recommend FRONTAIR Congress Aeropuertu, it is ideally situated near airport. Excellent 4* hotel, probably one of the cheapest on booking.com Has the advantage of a free shuttle bus to/fro the city centre every hour as well as a free airport shuttle service.

Within a 2 minute walk there is a large Hypermarket which sells almost everything, ideal for stocking up for your booze and last minute bit and pieces.

We used http://www.cruisingexcursions.com for our port transfer - be careful a lot of the taxi drivers try to add on port entry costs which is a sham.

Edited by mickey89

Everone's talking about all their great experiences with a hotel, has anyone actually used the Hotel That HAL offers which is the Melia Barcelona Sarria? Is this a good location? Beings we have never ever gone to Europe on a cruise, Tom has never been there and I have not been to a Europe country since 1971 I think we both feel a bit safer going through HAL and having them provide transfers. Is this a good location for being in the city :confused:

Do you have a recommended transfer company?

We used Autos Vilar. I think I got the recommendation here or on Trip Advisor and we were more than pleased with their service. A very nice Mercedes mini-bus like van and a great driver who spoke excellent English. We arranged for them to pick us up at the airport and two days later take us to the cruise terminal. Worked better than I could have imagined. Our original plans were that the other couple was arriving in Barcelona about 45 minutes ahead of us and they agreed to wait for our flight. As it turned out we were delayed by fog in London so we got in some two hours later than planned. Our driver was waiting for us but he'd already taken the other couple to the hotel and returned. No increase in charge. Service with a smile. :) Their website is http://www.autosvilar.com . We made all the arrangements via email.

Edited by Randyk47

Everone's talking about all their great experiences with a hotel, has anyone actually used the Hotel That HAL offers which is the Melia Barcelona Sarria? Is this a good location? Beings we have never ever gone to Europe on a cruise, Tom has never been there and I have not been to a Europe country since 1971 I think we both feel a bit safer going through HAL and having them provide transfers. Is this a good location for being in the city :confused:

We stayed at the El Palace Hotel which is a little closer into the center of town. For us it was about right and we actually found we could wander around on foot, feel safe, and get to just about everything we wanted. Admittedly our cruise was on another line and our first day on the ship was actually an overnight in Barcelona so we got two full days to explore. What we did was the close in stuff the first day that were in walking distance of the hotel. The second day we had a nice breakfast at the hotel and wandered around until about 2 PM before our limo service picked us up to go to the cruise terminal. I guess what would count as the third day, our first full day on the ship, was actually right there in Barcelona so we took a ship's tour to get to some of the more distance sites we couldn't walk to easily from the hotel. The hotel was booked separately from the cruise line but had been one of their preferred hotels in past years. It was the old Ritz and had been totally and beautifully renovated. Excellent hotel.