taking the tube from Heathrow to London

How hard is it to take the tube from Heathrow to London with luggage? I am talking about one checked bag each(50 lbs) and one carry-on each. My hubby has a bad back but can do some lifting. I have no issues. Also where does the tube stop? Does it stop anywhere near the waterloo train station Thank you so much. We are planning to stay at the Premier Inn near waterloo for 2 nights and will be arriving on a Monday.

Also we want to take the train from the waterloo station to Southampton. Is this easy? Do they take credit cards for both the tube and the train

SUPER easy !

We took the tube last summer with the same amount of luggage.

There are stations without elevators and some with steps...so you will need to plan your route accordingly...but it should not be a problem !

Don't know about waterloo station sorry.

When on the platforms, you will see some sections are 'raised'...this is to allow roll aboard entry into the subway car...otherwise there is about a 4-5" step...not all stations have the raised sections for roll on/roll off.

Edited by p_mori7

How hard is it to take the tube from Heathrow to London with luggage? I am talking about one checked bag each(50 lbs) and one carry-on each. My hubby has a bad back but can do some lifting. I have no issues. Also where does the tube stop? Does it stop anywhere near the waterloo train station Thank you so much. We are planning to stay at the Premier Inn near waterloo for 2 nights and will be arriving on a Monday.

Also we want to take the train from the waterloo station to Southampton. Is this easy? Do they take credit cards for both the tube and the train

Depending on what terminal at LHR you're arriving at, you might have a bit of a walk to get to the tube station, although I seem to recall there being moving ramps. In any case, you can bring a luggage cart right to the entrance of the station. Escalators down, but then you'll be boarding the cars at the end of the line, so lots of room to find a spot for you and your luggage.

Going to Waterloo will require a change, I would probably transfer at Green Park as it has lifts I believe. There should be luggage carts at Waterloo when you take the train to Southampton. Only one step up into the trains, so shouldn't be an issue for your husband and his back. You can check out the inside of Waterloo station with Google Street View.

You should have no problems using a credit card at both the underground and train stations.

The Piccadilly line travels from LHR but you will need to change lines at another station. Green Park to the Jubilee line to Waterloo is one option. The line starts at LHR so the train will be empty but will fill up. Park yourself close to the door so you can get out. There are a few local experts who will advise you more about the travel to Southampton and stairs/elevators(lifts) /escalators at each station. It seems trains from Waterloo to Southampton run regularly.

There are many online resources for the London Tube System that allow you to plan your trip. Also many apps. Google and take a look.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Only the Piccadilly line serves Heathrow, and that's where it starts. (dark blue line on the map, Heathrow is bottom left).

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

Which means you can't get on a wrong train :).

And you'll be amongst the first to board, so get seats near the door, with luggage around you (don't put luggage in the door area, cos the train will fill & it'll get in everyone's way).

Takes about 35 mins to central London.

As others have posted, there's one change to get to Waterloo, you have three choices.

- change at Green Park to Jubilee line, direction of Stratford.

- or change at Piccadilly to Bakerloo line, direction of Elephant & Castle.

- or change at Leicester Square to Northern line, direction of Morden.

Get best advice which of these is easiest with luggage - that best advice won't come from this country bumpkin.:rolleyes:

Best advice might even be to get off at one of those stops & take a taxi from there.

.............................................. mind the gap :) ......................................

About three trains per hour from Waterloo to Southampton, journey time about 90 mins, standard fare about £38.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

But on-line you can buy restricted tickets for as little as £1 (yes, one pound, not a typo) from

http://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

This is a perfectly safe & respectable bucket shop, operated by a consortium of train operators, to sell seats on trains at quiet times of the day.

Prices are flexible, cheapest as soon as available, which is about 6 weeks out.

Restrictions are that you must pre-purchase (can be done from the USA), you are limited to a choice of less than a dozen of those train times (but there'll be two or three that will suit), and you must select the train time with your booking - no amendments.

On current timetables, trains departing Waterloo at 09.39 or 11.39 will get you to your ship in good time.

No megatrain tix available for sundays, no megatrain tix available for any mornings in the Southampton to Waterloo direction.

JB :)

Other's above have given you excellent advice on how to...however..."bad back", luggage & the tube...might not be your best decision :eek:

Other's above have given you excellent advice on how to...however..."bad back", luggage & the tube...might not be your best decision :eek:

I have the same concern. Tube travel can involve long walks and stairs. Would you and your husband be able to take your luggage around the block and up and down a few flights of stairs? If not, consider a hiring a car. http://www.justairports.com/ or similar.

timetraveler ~

I routinely take the Tube between Heathrow and central London with luggage--but my luggage invariably weighs considerably less than 50 pounds.

So... Yes, it is entirely feasible. But with a 50-pound bag and a bad back, I'd think twice. (My back tends to be a bit dodgy as it is; I wouldn't risk it with that sort of weight.)

But if you feel able to do it... Yes, take the Underground from Heathrow to Green Park, and change there to the Jubilee Line to Waterloo.

Here's a handy-dandy map showing Underground stations where you can avoid stairs:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/avoiding-stairs-tube-guide.pdf

According to the description for Green Park (scroll down to page 9), there is "Lift access between street and platform." I assume that means that it is possible to take a lift or series of lifts between the Piccadilly Line and the Jubilee Line (the trains on these two lines use different platforms), but I'm not absolutely certain about that. (It's been ages since I've changed trains at Green Park.) This video shows that there are a considerable number of stairs involved in changing trains, but perhaps the person who shot the video had no need to use the lifts (if any):

At Waterloo Station, you definitely can get from the Jubilee Line platform to the street-level exit using a lift or escalator. From there, it's a very short walk to the Premier Inn.

For our Baltic cruise May 2012 we went through Waterloo station on the way to our hotel. We took the tube. It was very easy and inexpensive. We took the Picadilly line to Green Park. If you take the lift at Green Park you will be walking a lot. Instead, take the escalator up to the ticket hall (don't leave the station) and then follow signs to the Jubilee line, taking another escalator down to the Jubilee line. Take the train towards Stratford and get off at Waterloo, I think it was only two stops from Green Park. Since the start of the tube is at Heathrow it is very easy to get a place for your luggage.

If you change your mind and want to take a car service, we used http://blackberrycars.com/ when we got off our Baltic cruise back to London from Harwich.

Julie

• 3 weeks later...

As long as outside rush hour (8-9, 5-6) it's easy

Piccadilly line to Central London. 60 mins to kings cross. No changes. Very safe. We don't have the pick pocket problem in London that many EU cities have.

The express is much quicker and nicer but very expensive. I personally avoid the heathrow express as I need to change trains from kings cross and that's a real hassle.

I have the same concern. Tube travel can involve long walks and stairs. Would you and your husband be able to take your luggage around the block and up and down a few flights of stairs? If not, consider a hiring a car. http://www.justairports.com/ or similar.

This is really silly advice!!

I work in London and travel in everyday would NOT recommend hiring a car

London is not the sort of city you want to be driving around. There is limited parking, the driving is stressful, lots of one way systems, cyclists, buses. Not to mention the congestion charge.

Just use public transport like all the locals do, you'll be fine. There are lifts in many stations

This is really silly advice!!

I work in London and travel in everyday would NOT recommend hiring a car

London is not the sort of city you want to be driving around. There is limited parking, the driving is stressful, lots of one way systems, cyclists, buses. Not to mention the congestion charge.

Just use public transport like all the locals do, you'll be fine. There are lifts in many stations

Bit of a language issue - hiring a car in this context meant a private hire from LHR into town, which is a good option for many.

What we Brits would describe as a hire car would be a rental car.

I lived in London for 16 years. Given the cost of your cruise I would take the Heathrow Express from the airport which is super quick and a taxi to your hotel from Paddington Station. The taxi will be about £20-£25 pounds however you will see a lot of London on the way and avoid a lot of stress, plus you will meet a london cabbie.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If I decided not to use the tube I would prebook a car from Heathrow direct to the hotel. I wouldn't bother with taking the Heathrow Express and then a taxi. I'd take a mini cab (pre booked car) direct from LHR and save any messing about. It will probably work out cheaper too. If you have a look on the London Forum on Tripadvisor there are no end of recommendations for companies operating the service.

• 2 weeks later...
As others have posted, there's one change to get to Waterloo, you have three choices.

- change at Green Park to Jubilee line, direction of Stratford.

- or change at Piccadilly to Bakerloo line, direction of Elephant & Castle.

- or change at Leicester Square to Northern line, direction of Morden.

Get best advice which of these is easiest with luggage - that best advice won't come from this country bumpkin.:rolleyes:

Best advice might even be to get off at one of those stops & take a taxi from there.

Actually, if the decision is to go by Tube and the destination is either the Premier Inn County Hall or the Premier Inn London Waterloo, then the best route is none of these.

The best route is Piccadilly Line to Barons Court, and a cross platform change to the District Line to Westminster. (Change at Hammersmith instead in inclement weather or during the morning peak.) There is step-free exit at Westminster to Bridge Street. Then simply walk across Westminster bridge to the "south" side of the river. County Hall is immediately on the far side of the bridge; the new Premier Inn London Waterloo involves going to the road junction and turning left onto York Road.

The walk from the Jubilee Line exit at Waterloo to either of these Premier Inns is about the same distance as walking across the bridge from Westminster station.

Even if Waterloo is the destination Tube station, I would still do this route and then change to the Jubilee Line at Westminster. (And I practise what I preach: this is what I do if heading out further east on the Jubilee Line.) The connection at Green Park is horrible. And for someone with luggage, the other two are even worse.