ocean view vs balcony for $1000+

familymum

Hi, We're 2 families looking at the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda with our teens and I'm torn between Ocean view (07) and Inside combos on deck 2 versus a Balcony(2A) and Inside combos on deck 7. We've always taken a balcony for the adults but there is a $1000 price difference so we thought we might try the Ocean view this time. A thousand dollars could go a long way in covering some of the excursions and extras we might like, but I don't want to ruin the cruise experience. This is our first time to Bermuda so I'm not sure if how the cruise experience compares to Caribbean voyages. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Of course it's a matter of personal preference, but I would take cheaper room.

We almost always sail in balcony cabins, but did a summit cruise once with ov. It was very adequate for our needs. Actually liked having the window sill. We use it for more storage.

I can't imagine that an OV cabin can ruin the cruise experience, but more like a balcony can enhance it .

Only you can decide your comfort level and budget. If you believe that an OV will ruin a cruise, you are setting up disappointment and wasting money from the beginning so that type accommodation may not be a good choice for you.

You have several choices:

Take the OV and risk disappointment

Take the balcony and stress about the cost

Wait till you can afford the accommodations that will make you happy.

Many people take OV or inside cabins, and I've never read that their cruise experience was ruined because of that type of accommodation. On the other hand, many will also tell you that you should only book a balcony or suite.

enjoy - what ever you decide

M

Hi, We're 2 families looking at the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda with our teens and I'm torn between Ocean view (07) and Inside combos on deck 2 versus a Balcony(2A) and Inside combos on deck 7. We've always taken a balcony for the adults but there is a $1000 price difference so we thought we might try the Ocean view this time. A thousand dollars could go a long way in covering some of the excursions and extras we might like, but I don't want to ruin the cruise experience. This is our first time to Bermuda so I'm not sure if how the cruise experience compares to Caribbean voyages. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

In this case I'd stick with the ocean view. Balconys are nice, but the price increase in this case is pretty high. We did an inside for our first Celebrity trip. It was fine. The only issue was we must have been near a waste pipe. Each time someone flushed you heard quite a rush go by. We found that by keeping the bathroom door closed it was no longer an issue, but that first time it did startle us a bit!

We usually book a balcony but on the Millennium and Summit we actually have had inside 3106 a few times. That hall near the Guest Relations desk is really a great location.

With us it's a matter of how much more money for a balcony. We've had about 14 with verandas and about 14 with outside windows and one inside. If we can get a veranda for a few hundred more $'s we take it. If it's around $1,000 or more we can live without it and spend the money elsewhere. The average veranda is about the size of our dining room table (it's a good size one) so it's not like we're going to have a cocktail party out there. We would both rather be outside anyway. We don't cruise to hang out in the cabin.

I'm on the side of choosing the OV, too, especially for a Bermuda cruise. Weather will probably not be as hot as Caribbean, and you will be either at sea or docked the entire cruise. Using the open decks when you want to be outside will give you views in all directions, not the limited amount that you'd get from a balcony.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks to all for the reassurance that we were doing the right thing. The price difference was just more than we were ready to swallow as we only really use the balcony in those transition moments (waking up, preparing for dinner,just before bed, etc.)

We're excited to go now that we're booked. Time to read up on Bermuda now to find a great excursion to blow our savings! Lol.

Not sure if prices in Canada are different or when you're planning on cruising, but you might want to re-check pricing. I just looked a couple of dates and the difference between OV and veranda was just $250 pp.

Our 1st cruise in 1992 was a balcony and it pretty much spoiled us. However, we have had OV and inside, as well, and experiences were always good. I think we would justify $500 for the balcony, but not $1,000. Just my opinion and others will see it differently.

I would say to go ahead and book the ocean view, but keep watching balcony prices.

As the departure date grows closer, the balcony prices may drop. Many times it becomes possible to switch to a balcony guarantee later for the same price charged earlier for the ov, or sometimes even less.

If the prices should go up instead of down, at least you are protected knowing you have the ov locked in at a price that is agreeable to you.

Not sure if prices in Canada are different or when you're planning on cruising, but you might want to re-check pricing. I just looked a couple of dates and the difference between OV and veranda was just $250 pp.

Our 1st cruise in 1992 was a balcony and it pretty much spoiled us. However, we have had OV and inside, as well, and experiences were always good. I think we would justify $500 for the balcony, but not $1,000. Just my opinion and others will see it differently.

Checked and rechecked the prices several times, $430 p.p more for the Balcony and the Inside cabin went up $70 p.p when we changed decks (inside category 9 versus inside category 11). (June 22nd sailing)

Our first two cruises were outside and the rest have always been a balcony.

We took the Summit to Bermuda last May. If it wasn't for my wife insisting that she needs a balcony that she rarely if ever uses ( claims she just likes knowing that it is there) I would book a outside for that cruise if we go again.

Sailing out of NJ the weather was rather too cool to enjoy it on sea days and when in Bermuda we didn't use it much as we were always doing other things. The balconies on the Summit are also rather small and the furniture isn't that comfortable. We had a Aqua class balcony that was also a little larger than a standard balcony and it was still tight. It also rained a few times and that also prevented using it.

It may be a little warmer when you sail but rain is never predictable that far in advance so I don't think it is worth the extra $1000 in your situation.

🌅🚢🍸🍻

If it wasn't for my wife insisting that she needs a balcony that she rarely if ever uses ( claims she just likes knowing that it is there) I would book a outside for that cruise if we go again.

Love this! I have always insisted on a balcony and my husband is always the one on it. I think he does it just to get his money's worth and could easily do without it. We spend very little time in our room, and his time out there is when I am getting ready for dinner. I'm sailing solo for the first time because he can't make it and I opted (reluctantly) for an OV because the cost is over $1000 for the balcony. Maybe I can get a spa treatment or two with the extra cash.

Love this! I have always insisted on a balcony and my husband is always the one on it. I think he does it just to get his money's worth and could easily do without it. We spend very little time in our room, and his time out there is when I am getting ready for dinner. I'm sailing solo for the first time because he can't make it and I opted (reluctantly) for an OV because the cost is over $1000 for the balcony. Maybe I can get a spa treatment or two with the extra cash.

Your post almost makes me think that my wife is the one that posted it.

I do the same thing. I will sit on the balcony many times at night with a blanket just to get some use out of it. I will also sit out there waiting for her to get ready for the evening just to give her more space and also to get some use out of it. If I had a OV I would probably be waiting at a bar. Can buy a lot of drinks with the money saved and there is usually a HH somewhere.

🌅🚢🍸🍻

When I first started cruising, there were hardy any balconies, and they were outrageously expensive. In any event, we could only afford insides. Balconies are now generally a great value and we almost always book one.

However, last year we took an Alaskan cruise with DH's frugal family, who had never cruised before, and we all got OV's. I was surprised at how nice it was and how little I missed the balcony. Since there were 6 of us, we spent all our time on deck or in a lounge together anyway, so it really didn't matter at all.

In the OP's case, with 4 traveling it will be much the same. Not enough room for everyone in a cabin for very long anyway, so may as well not worry about it, certainly not for $1000!

One thing we did that helped was to designate a "connoitering" spot on the first day--a certain area of the buffet. If we were looking for each other, we'd always check there first, and eventually everyone showed up!

Edited by CathyCruises

[quote name=CathyCruises;41634122

In the OP's case' date=' with 4 traveling it will be much the same. Not enough room for everyone in a cabin for very long anyway, so may as well not worry about it, certainly not for $1000![/quote]

Just to clarify, we're not 4 in a cabin, yikes, I think that would be tight! DH and I will take the OV and our 3 teens will share the inside across the hall. Ditto for the other family with whom we are traveling, except they have 2 kids. Mine already grumble about being 3 in a cabin, especially when it comes to who takes longest in the shower.

[quote name=CathyCruises;41634122

One thing we did that helped was to designate a "connoitering" spot on the first day--a certain area of the buffet. If we were looking for each other' date=' we'd always check there first, and eventually everyone showed up![/quote]

We do this too! It works great. During the day it's somewhere near the pool, later it is usually the "piano bar" (every cruise seems to have one is some guise or other.)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1987902

post #8 has a pic of ocean view room.

Thanks! great pics of the ship as well. I surmise from the comments that our cabin will be a bit smaller as the reviewer said theirs was larger than standard but I'm sure the cabin will be fine. I think I'll miss the easy access to the outside air and the peace from not having to share the space with others but not enough to pay such a high premium for it. I will do as someone commented earlier, and keep and I out for price changes for both categories, just in case I get lucky.

Just to clarify, we're not 4 in a cabin, yikes, I think that would be tight! DH and I will take the OV and our 3 teens will share the inside across the hall. Ditto for the other family with whom we are traveling, except they have 2 kids. Mine already grumble about being 3 in a cabin, especially when it comes to who takes longest in the shower.

Oh, sorry, I thought you had 4 total. I meant even with 4, you wouldn't want to be hanging out in each other's cabin, when there are so many more comfortable places to be!

FWIW, we used to do two insides for 6 of us: ex-DH, his mother, me and our 3 kids. Our youngest was the only one who would sleep with grandma cause she snored! So my husband and I and the two older kids would share a room, and a couple of times I think all 5 of us were in one (inside) cabin! But we had a great time, at least that's how I remember it. It was that or not go at all. Can't image doing it now!!

.. especially when it comes to who takes longest in the shower. ...)

Just an FYI, especially on this ship, I almost always take showers in the locker room. Nice sized area. I do miss the ass grabber curtains that you have in the room, but it is much easier to do that way.

Although our preference is a balcony cabin, we opted for an ocean view on our cruise to Bermuda a few years ago, and had no regrets. The seas were rather rough in both directions, so the balcony would have gone unused. Add to that the fact that only one side of the ship has a view of the port when docked, we had a 50/50 chance of seeing nothing but the great wide ocean anyway.

I think saving the extra cash for shore excursions and treats is probably a good strategy.

Have fun!

We just sailed on the Eclipse in the Caribbean and had our 1st balcony. We have taken around 30 cruises and have booked mostly inside cabins and a few ocean view. We hardly sat on the balcony, but did enjoy the outside light in the cabin during the day. The ocean view cabin will also give you light, without the extra cost of the balcony. We would not pay big bucks for sitting outside a few times during the cruise.