The end of the Suite Luncheon ???

GmaPajama

Originally the Suite lunch was a buffet held either in the Crow's Nest or the Explorer's Lounge. Some times it was held in the dining room.

More recently it has been held in the Pinnacle Grill. Sometimes it is the Indonesian lunch, sometimes it is a choice of items from a menu and one time we had a mixture of Indonesian and regular food.

Sometimes we got to order drinks but most recently it has been the same wines that are offered at the Mariner's brunch.

To be honest, if HAL is chipping away at S/PS (I'm old fashioned. Can't quite get the hang of the ever changing categories...) then they give you little reason to choose these rooms other than square footage.

Heck, the people who book an SS and the Suite Amenities package wind up being better off. They get everything but the Neptune and they get to keep their robes.

We don't sail anywhere near as often as many of you, but we've always booked an S or PS and we always book 9 months to a year or more in advance. If HAL is going to erode the quality of their upper end offering and sell the important perks as an add on to lower priced categories, I start to feel like we're self-identifying as rubes when we book an S or PS and pay regular price.

Edited by POA1

I just checked the Cruise Atlas and HAL's site and the Suite lunch is no longer listed.

I can remember when it listed that there would be a Suite Lunch on cruises of 10 days or longer. I don't know when that was eliminated from the list of amenities for the PS and Neptune Suites.

Yes, we tried to find it as well. I know it was there a little while ago when we were planning our cruise. I really hope they're not doing away with it. I looked over our per diem costs for the last decade and the cost of our suites has more than kept up with inflation, even factoring in fuel.

I guess we'll know in a little over 2 weeks.

Edited by POA1

I thought the first day lunch was a "Mariner" lunch, not just for Suites. Maybe HAL should change it to just a "suite" lunch???

You are talking of two different things.

Suite Lunch is only for Suites.

Embarkation Lunch is for all Mariners.

To be honest, if HAL is chipping away at S/PS (I'm old fashioned. Can't quite get the hang of the ever changing categories...) then they give you little reason to choose these rooms other than square footage.

Heck, the people who book an SS and the Suite Amenities package wind up being better off. They get everything but the Neptune and they get to keep their robes..

Keep their robes - Really?

You are talking of two different things.

Suite Lunch is only for Suites.

Embarkation Lunch is for all Mariners.

Oh, just learned something new. Where and when are Suite Lunches held? I have been on HAL several times and always in a Suite, but never knew about a suite lunch.

Thank-you!

Oh, just learned something new. Where and when are Suite Lunches held? I have been on HAL several times and always in a Suite, but never knew about a suite lunch.

Thank-you!

normally a sea day and the date is chosen by the HM & Captain. If there is a luncheon, you receive an invitation. Most of the lunches are in the PG. (at least the ones we have been to).

Thank-you!

Suite Lunch is for guests in Neptune and Pinnacle Suites. An invitation is sent and most usually the lunch is held in Pinnacle Grill.

Heck, the people who book an SS and the Suite Amenities package wind up being better off. They get everything but the Neptune and they get to keep their robes.

We don't sail anywhere near as often as many of you, but we've always booked an S or PS and we always book 9 months to a year or more in advance. If HAL is going to erode the quality of their upper end offering and sell the important perks as an add on to lower priced categories, I start to feel like we're self-identifying as rubes when we book an S or PS and pay regular price.

I wasn't aware that one gets to keep the robe merely by booking an SA suite. Perhaps it is limited to buying the Suites Amenity package?

I wasn't aware that one gets to keep the robe merely by booking an SA suite. Perhaps it is limited to buying the Suites Amenity package?

That was specified earlier in the sentence preceding (and connected to) the one you quoted. The word "and" could have been highlighted to make it more prominent, but it was there.

Edited by RuthC

Sorry. My bad. I meant by purchasing the Suite Amenities package. You don't get to keep the robe when you just book an S (SA, SB, SC or whatever they're calling them now.) or PS.

Like you, we never saw a price reduction on the full suites - back when we were booking them outright. It's almost a crime to know how little we paid for a recent upsell. Makes me feel foolish for ever paying full price. Sad, but true.

OK. After announcing that I felt foolish for paying full price for a Neptune Suite for so many years ... I've just done exactly that for next November. It just proves that when we want something very specific, we're more than willing to pay for it. And I don't feel foolish at all. Eating a little crow here. :)

OK. After announcing that I felt foolish for paying full price for a Neptune Suite for so many years ... I've just done exactly that for next November. It just proves that when we want something very specific, we're more than willing to pay for it. And I don't feel foolish at all. Eating a little crow here. :)

Same here Donna. They seem to cut suite perks, but we still booked the PH for full price for our upcoming cruise in May.