Is the food on the Ruby really that bad?

CruzinRAC

It seems every review I read, people are complaining about how bad the food is on the Ruby. I know it's a VERY subjective topic, but as a couple who enjoys decent food (although we're hardly snobby about it), we're thinking we made a bad choice booking Ruby for next month. Comments???

It seems every review I read, people are complaining about how bad the food is on the Ruby. I know it's a VERY subjective topic, but as a couple who enjoys decent food (although we're hardly snobby about it), we're thinking we made a bad choice booking Ruby for next month. Comments???

We have sailed the Ruby and Princess many times.

I can honestly say we have never experienced what you are reading about bad food on any cruise with Princess. :eek:

Take these reviews and comments with a grain of salt. :)

I can honestly say we have never experienced what you are reading about bad food on any cruise with Princess. :eek:

So, you're saying the food just needs salt?

I feel the same way as 'Colo Cruiser' & I would never base my decision on whether to take a cruise based on what I read on CC. I've had good food on the same cruise where some say it's bad. On any cruise I can afford I don't expect gourmet food but more like good banquet quality food or better.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Our meals, MDR, Ruby, Jan 2014, were the best meals we have had on Princess for a long time.

They showed imagination and variety, whereas previous cruises on Princess have offered adequate, tho unimaginative offerings.

My opinion for the difference....the short Ruby cruises this year are meant to attract younger and newer clients....hence the attention to more imaginative menus. (this was also true of the entertainment in the Princess lounge).

As said, food is very subjective. If I don't see an entree that I want, I'll ask for something different or modified. For instance, I might order the tenderloin with Béarnaise sauce and a baked potato. Or, I might ask for a large salad with grilled cheese. I even sometimes order an entree size of an appetizer or soup. I never walk away hungry.

I thought the food on the Ruby was very good on our two cruises in December. I'm even thinking of going back next month since prices are down. The only disappointing entree I had was on embarkation day. The beef was tough and overdone.

I thought the food on the Ruby was very good on our two cruises in December. I'm even thinking of going back next month since prices are down. The only disappointing entree I had was on embarkation day. The beef was tough and overdone.

Haven't been on the Ruby since 2011 but when we did sail on he we always enjoyed the food. Even the HC which I'm not overly fond of was rather good.....:):):)

Bob

I was on the Ruby 3 weeks ago and I found the wide variety of food to be very good. I ate from the buffet, the MDR, room service, Vines (sushi), and the Pizza.

We had the same experience (except no room service and tapas in Vines instead of sushi) last week and had exceptional meals in Sabatinis and the Crown Grill too.

We have been on the Ruby three times, the most recent in January, and the food was very good. As others have noted, there's always lots to choose from in the dining room, and the dinner buffets were wonderful, too. Your waiter can modify the offerings to suit you. One night I ordered the dinner portion of the fettucini alfredo with a piece of grilled salmon on top. It was fabulous.

I, too, would never cancel a cruise based on others' reviews of food.

Food is so subjective, however my 1/9/2014 had good to very good food in several areas of ship. I also submitted a CC review. Have re-booked this ship for coming Dec/ 2014.

I was on ruby from Jan. 9 to Jan. 18, and I thought the food was very good. We ate in both the main dining room and the buffet. To show that I do not just think all food is ok, want to see that we boarded Coral the day after we disembarked Ruby, were on Coral from the 19th to the 30th of January, and thought the food on Coral was much, much worse than on Ruby.

Just got off Ruby today, our 4th cruise on Ruby in 2014, the food seemed the same as all the other Princess ships we have been on recently except that there were some really great additional items in the International Cafe on Deck 5.

No complaints from us nabout the food.

The entertainment was a bit spotty though. Not as good as a few weeks ago. Its a personal preference thing of course.

Remember, people are always quicker to complain than they are to compliment.

We had no problems with the food on the Ruby, or any other Princess ship. The closest we've come to being disappointed was when we ate at the buffet.

If you order something in the MDR and it isn't to your taste, tell your waiter, they're always happy to bring you something else. If you get something at the buffet and don't like it, go and try something else.

If you have a problem, be polite and advise the staff they will do all they can to make it right for you.

Here is what I can tell you - we just got off Ruby late Jan. I really don't care - food is food and I am pretty much a veggie. But Hubby thought the food on Ruby was really good. And I will add - we both thought the food in the buffet was really good also, better than Royal for the buffet itself. Dining dinner was also really good. So now worries, you will be fine.