Is this B2B itinerary legal?

Beachin2

Is there another cruise line around the same dates, that embarks in Vancouver, and then you could board the Pacific coastal? Maybe stay in Vancouver a couple of days, if needed?

This law has been fought before with some pretty high ranking politicians...it didn't get anywhere.

You may want to wait for Celebrity's Alaska to come out. Last year the Solstice did the Pacific coast. This year it goes straight back to Hawaii so who knows which route it will take to get back to Australia next year:cool:

You may not think its correct, but it is. Cruises to nowhere aren't visiting any other ports. Just like you will never see a cruise just visit a U.S. port ie; Miami-Key West-Miami. They will always visit a foreign port.

Sorry, you would be incorrect sir :D

OP stated:

If a non-US flagged carrier takes a person from a US port to the same US port, then they have to visit any foreign port.

Last I heard a cruise to nowhere "takes a person from a US port to the same US port, without stopping at a foreign port."

OP stated:

If a non-US flagged carrier takes a person from a US port to the same US port, then they have to visit any foreign port.

Last I heard a cruise to nowhere "takes a person from a US port to the same US port, without stopping at a foreign port."

Where have you seen one of those scheduled?

OP stated:

The difference is that the cruise to nowhere does not make any port stops - an exception to the rule.

The difference is that the cruise to nowhere does not make any port stops - an exception to the rule.

Ok, that makes sense. Last week I was looking at the QOS cruises and thought the 3 night looked fun so when I read the sentence it didn't seem right.

So why is St. Pierre and Miquelon considered a foreign port for the purpose of northeastern cruises and Vancouver is not for northwestern?

Vancouver is considered a foreign port. That's why Alaska cruises that start and end in Seattle stop there. However, it's not a distant foreign port. If you are going between 2 different US cities, then you need to visit a distant foreign port.

Edited by clarea

So why is St. Pierre and Miquelon considered a foreign port for the purpose of northeastern cruises and Vancouver is not for northwestern?

Vancouver IS considered a foreign port, but a NEAR foreign port, for US round trip cruises. For the sake of embarking in one US city, and disembarking in a different US city, the ship has to visit a DISTANT foreign port, which usually includes an ABC island, or a South America port.

I have a feeling St. Pierre and Miquelon are considered near foreign ports for the northeast to satisfy round trips from that area.

Edit...Clarea and I were posting at the same time

Edited by crzndeb

The PSVA can be such a pain!

Looking to maybe book the new Jewel September 2015 itinerary B2B:

#1 Seattle to Vancouver (7 nt. Alaska)

#2 Vancouver to LA (8 nt. Relo)

Is this itinerary B2B fair or foul?

It's legal. Booked it this morning

Sent from my C6903 using Forums mobile app

You may have been allowed to book it, but be prepared you may get a call to cancel one leg. I wouldn't be making any plane reservations just yet.

Trust me, it's not legal.

And if the cruise begins in a foreign port, say Vancouver, then it all becomes a moot point. PVSA only pertains to beginning and ending in USA ports.

Edited by crzndeb

You may be receiving a follow up phone call from RCCL or your travel agent. People have been successful in booking these, but portions of their cruise have subsequently been canceled upon further review of the internary by the "powers-that-be".

Edit to add: Crzndeb beat me to it.

Edited by comxkid

Have to add. Someone on the roll call has booked all 4. Vancouver to Fort lauderdale

It was all checked out by CVP supervisor

Yvr to San Juan

Goes to Mexico

Edited by CVU

Have to add. Someone on the roll call has booked all 4. Vancouver to Fort lauderdale

Haven't looked at the itineraries, but this appears to involve a Panama Canal transit. Those cruises typically stop in Colombia or somewhere else that qualifies as a "distant" foreign port so that would be legal. Several years ago when Mariner was sent to the west coast many folks we know booked the entire transit from Florida to LA. It was technically 4 seperate cruises, but each individual cruise was US to a foreign port, Foreign to foreign, or foreign to US. Therefore any idividual leg was legal and if you took the whole thing it was legal because rounding the horn included port calls in several "distant" foreign ports in Brazil, Argentina and Chile [maybe others].

Yvr to San Juan

Goes to Mexico

It's not the Mexico stop that makes that one legal - it's the South America stop (Columbia) on the way to SJU.

The key is you must book the LA to SJU leg for it to pass.

I think maybe we are missing the obvious. Some have been talking about starting in Vancouver and ending up in Florida which would be Foreign to US, i.e. legal. it is the US to Canada to US B2B that is not.

Which is what the OP was asking about to start the thread.

how is it illegal? he's doing two different cruises and one of them embarks and departs out of Vancouver, which IS considered a foreign port. I'm sure the first one docks in Victoria, am I correct? So it's perfectly fine. But if you're not sure consult your TA or a RCI rep, you're probably not going to get a legitimate answer on cruise critic.

Edited by CRUISEBOY305

Yvr to San Juan

Goes to Mexico

Vancouver to San Juan is not a problem because it's not US to US. Once the start or end point is outside the US, the PVSA does not apply.

how is it illegal? he's doing two different cruises and one of them embarks and departs out of Vancouver, which IS considered a foreign port. I'm sure the first one docks in Victoria, am I correct? So it's perfectly fine. But if you're not sure consult your TA or a RCI rep.

It doesn't matter that it's two different cruises. He is starting in one US port and ending in another US port with no stop in a foreign distant port (Canada is not considered a foreign distant port) thus making it illegal.