Wouldn't it be neat if HAL ...

WayneFougere

... sent daily programs to your iPhone or iPad?

Well, as I read earlier on these boards, they will roll out a test on the Nieuw Amsterdam, with local internet connection in your cabin, where you can connect your own device to the network on board and make use of some of the digital facilities. Do not know when or how this is exactly done, but there seem to be movements in that direction…..

But wouldn't that require you to purchase an internet plan to receive them?

I think it should be an option for those that want it, but some of us don't have iPads or smart phones, or don't use them on vacation. And amazing as it is, some of us still like paper and should have that option as well.

I had a heated discussion with HAL customer service about this when I had trouble getting the end-of-cruise survey email. I asked if they could just mail me a copy, but they said they could e-mail me a pdf and I could print that and mail it back to them. Fat lot of good that does when the problem I was having was getting the email from them in the first place. Technology is all well and good, but there needs to be an old-school option for those that do not, or cannot, use the technology.

But wouldn't that require you to purchase an internet plan to receive them?

I think it should be an option for those that want it, but some of us don't have iPads or smart phones, or don't use them on vacation. And amazing as it is, some of us still like paper and should have that option as well.

I had a heated discussion with HAL customer service about this when I had trouble getting the end-of-cruise survey email. I asked if they could just mail me a copy, but they said they could e-mail me a pdf and I could print that and mail it back to them. Fat lot of good that does when the problem I was having was getting the email from them in the first place. Technology is all well and good, but there needs to be an old-school option for those that do not, or cannot, use the technology.

No, as I remember reading it correctly, this would be on a local, on board internet, which would give you access solely to the on board net, to view your account, menu’s and so on and maybe also the on location and shore excursion information. So a free, local way to provide you with information, but no access to the www.

No, as I remember reading it correctly, this would be on a local, on board internet, which would give you access solely to the on board net, to view your account, menu’s and so on and maybe also the on location and shore excursion information. So a free, local way to provide you with information, but no access to the www.

I haven't seen that.

Would it be the ONLY way to get access to that information? I really don't see it as practical for everyone, or even the majority of people on board. And what happens if the system goes down or has problems?

I really don't like the forced conversion to electronic information distribution, especially since another thread on this board mentions that HAL themselves require printed paper documentation of on-board credits and/or pre-arranged reservations.

I haven't seen that.

Would it be the ONLY way to get access to that information? I really don't see it as practical for everyone, or even the majority of people on board. And what happens if the system goes down or has problems?

I really don't like the forced conversion to electronic information distribution, especially since another thread on this board mentions that HAL themselves require printed paper documentation of on-board credits and/or pre-arranged reservations.

It was on the HAL board recently. As I remember it will be a trial on the Nieuw Amsterdam soon and I am assuming that nobody will force you to use is. I think it will be an extra service provided on one hand and also a way to save money on the other. As I understand similar things are already available on other lines and if you want (I cannot imagine they will force you) you can access menu’s, preliminary statement and maybe images from the photo shop (guessing here). The technique is available and I think it is inevitable that this will be the way forward.

For a company that is ISO 14001 (an environmental commitment) they sure deliver a lot of wasted paper. A local network or an interactive TV screen may reduce the paper waste.

I don't need a note every evening saying the captain and crew wish me a good night.

Jim

Years ago, Celebrity had technology in place where passengers could view the status of their on board account (and probably other things) using the TV in their cabin. We found it very helpful. Being in house, no internet connection was required. It would be great if HAL were to have that capability. And if it were expanded to include the daily program and menus, that would be awesome.

Not taking into account the energy used to make your phone or tablet, and the environmental impact of the non-recyclable parts, lithium ion batteries, etc. - the simple fact is that your phone probably consumes the same or greater energy load as a full size refrigerator of the same vintage. Your tablet is worse. From a recent study by Max Luke of the Breakthrough Institute:

Last year the average*iPhone customer*used 1.58 GB of data a month, which times 12 is 19 GB per year. The*most recent data*put out by a ATKearney for mobile industry association GSMA (p. 69) says that each GB requires 19 kW. That means the average iPhone uses (19kw X 19 GB) 361 kwh of electricity per year.*In addition, ATKearney calculates each connection at 23.4 kWh. That brings the total to 384.4 kWh.*The electricity used annually to charge the iPhone is 3.5 kWh, raising the total to 388 kWh per year. EPA’s Energy Star shows refrigerators with efficiency as low as 322 kWh annually.

So, while our tablets and smartphones are convenient, we're not exactly saving the planet.

More here:

http://science.time.com/2013/08/14/power-drain-the-digital-cloud-is-using-more-energy-than-you-think/

Given HAL's record of dealing with WiFi (about the worst in the industry) and the internet (among the worst in the industry) we are waiting with baited breath (I never understood this old saying) for more WiFi options. My suspicion is that HAL would be happy to send daily schedules to your iPhone (on ships where they actually have WiFi that works shipwide) for a price. I can imagine HAL would charge you about $10 a day to send you the "free" schedule and might even give 4 and 5 Star Mariners a discount :)

As an explanation, we have cruised on 14 different cruise lines and cannot recall any cruise ship (in recent years) that did not have shipwide WiFi except on HAL. While on the Westerdam I probably wore-out a pair of sneakers just going from my cabin to a public area where there was WiFi. And now, with reports of the new "enhanced" WiFi on the World Cruise we can just start to imagine about "new improvements."

Hank

P.S. As very frequent cruisers we get lots of free internet/WiFi on RCI, Azamara, Celebrity, Princess, etc. But on HAL, being mere 4 Star Mariners we get SQUAT. This is a perfect example of HAL charging us more for not much!

Edited by Hlitner

I know it's a shocking concept but some of us don't need, want or have an iPad or iPhone. I still have my old cell phone and it meets my needs. :o

I will be purchasing an iPad....... I'm finally agt a point I want one but until now, I was happy with just my cell phone and netbook computer.

I think it would be an interesting idea and convenient, but even though I own both iPhone and iPad I'd still rather use paper.

My husband is a technology nut and it drives me mad with the constant phone staring. Just imagine a ship full of people staring at their phones as they walk around ...irritating would be an understatement.

I like real paper books, I like taking notes in real notebooks (there is nothing better than a lovely new clear notepad with endless possibilities) and I get ridiculously happy when I see the next days 'on location' on my bed ...I love lists :D

I admit I'm probably in the minority for my age group, but as I see more and more apps to make you happy, apps to makes you slim, apps to help you talk to people, apps for your children, it makes me a little sad. Oops I went off at a bit of a tangent there .... sorry

God I hope so. Several lines do this. Heck Crystal has a complete video on demand system where you can watch movies anywhere - intranet is free.

HAL though doesn't even have freaking kiosks to view your account so wishful thinking. Their lack of technological advancement is my biggest complaint actually with HAL.

Given HAL's record of dealing with WiFi (about the worst in the industry) and the internet (among the worst in the industry) we are waiting with baited breath (I never understood this old saying)...

"bated breath - The expression is based on bate, meaning "to moderate, restrain" or "to lessen, diminish"; though bated was once rather common, it is now rare except in this set expression."

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bated+breath

I use my IPAD onboard to read and do not purchase an internet package at all. I do however wish that we could look at our on account and book dining excursions etc on the TV which is common on several other lines. Those that prefer paper can still get it but like it or not paper is going away more and more. The younger generations do so many things in their lives on tablets and smartphones or interactive TV at home that HAL needs to look at these options in order to continue to attract these potential customers. I use social media and technology in my business life and at home....some because I wanted to and other because I had to. In order to remain relevant in my profession I could not ignore technology even though some of it I don't care for. I think the same is true for how people travel. I hope they will have both options available in the future to please the needs of all travelers. Just my two cents.

I know it's a shocking concept but some of us don't need, want or have an iPad or iPhone. I still have my old cell phone and it meets my needs. :o

I will be purchasing an iPad....... I'm finally agt a point I want one but until now, I was happy with just my cell phone and netbook computer.

You're going to like your new IPad, Sail. I just got one about a week ago for my birthday. I didn't think I'd particularly care for it, but found out differently. It's pretty dog gone cool!!! I sold my Acer netbook, which I bought for traveling solely because I had read on CC where you were so happy with yours, and got $75 for it. Only paid $199 for it at WalMart a couple of years ago. I'll take that money and buy a case/cover for the new IPad.

Better wifi, programs for iphones/ipads????

I would be happy if they could just have an in cabin interactive information system displayed on the TV. It is hardly a new concept...other cruise lines have had it for years.

I too wonder about those wonderful environmental messages that HAL and other cruise lines make.

On our last Celebrity cruise our cabin was bombarded daily with junk mail and useless paper based messages. Seems just a tad contradictory to me. And while we are at it...what about all those photos that they print and then destroy. So much for the environment.

SNIP... while we are at it...what about all those photos that they print and then destroy. So much for the environment.

I think we're deluding ourselves if we think our giant, air conditioned, diesel burning, floating hotels with all that food are eco friendly. Just because we recycle our daily programs and use our towels an extra day doesn't mean we have the environmental footprint of people who hike into the woods and camp in tents.

Just sayin'. ;)

On our Early NADM Dec. cruise we were invited to debrief with HD, CD panel.

We were told that an intranet network was being installed throughout the ship. Once up you would be able to check your account, make reservations, review menu's etc. we were told it was being implemented Fleet wide.

Frankly, I'm surprised this system is not already up and running because we were told it would be running soon. I guess soon is longer than two months!

Would that be similar to a closed circuit station?