Fire on Noordam last night

alwaysfrantic

It must have been shortly after 10 we heard lots of strange tones overtaking the sound on the TV. Lights behind the pillow came on and an officer called fire in Lido midship starboard. A minute later anther voice said fire suppression system had detected smoke crews were responding and he would update quickly. Just a few minutes later came all clear and the report of I think it was an electrical outlet fire/smoke. We never had to do anything.

For folks like me who had always wondered in an emergency, how would I hear in my cabin since I usually can't hear other announcements in there. --- this is a completely different alert system. It's made into the bed you won't miss an emergency.

Edited by alwaysfrantic

All emergency announcements will be broadcast in all cabins. They do not disturb the quiet of our cabins for daily routine announcements but the loudspeaker can be switched to 'on' when needed.

The flashing lights are to alert the hearing impaired.

Edited by sail7seas

We had a similar situation on Maasdam last year. I was sitting outside on a lounger when the captain came on to announce there was a fire(I think it was in the kitchen) and he would come back on to tell us what was happening. I went inside the cabin and thought about what I would need if we had to abandon ship. My DH was in the pool and walked down to the cabin. By the time he got there, the captain was back on to say it had been extinguished. A few scary minutes.

It must have been shortly after 10 we heard lots of strange tones overtaking the sound on the TV. Lights behind the pillow came on and an officer called fire in Lido midship starboard. A minute later anther voice said fire suppression system had detected smoke crews were responding and he would update quickly. Just a few minutes later came all clear and the report of I think it was an electrical outlet fire/smoke. We never had to do anything.

For folks like me who had always wondered in an emergency, how would I hear in my cabin since I usually can't hear other announcements in there. --- this is a completely different alert system. It's made into the bed you won't miss an emergency.

We were on one Holland America cruise and there were 2 of those the same night. One was a fire in the incinerator room. I thought there should be a fire in the incinerator room, however, probably this fire was wasn't actually in the incinerator.:p The other was a fire in a crew member's cabin (i.e. smoking and a fire in his cabin's wastebasket, etc.). Apparently HAL has a "zero tolerance" policy on this; the next night our dining room steward mentioned that the crew member was now unemployed and on his way home.

Edited by ScriptOhio

We were on one Holland America cruise and there were 2 of those the same night. One was a fire in the incinerator room. I thought there should be a fire in the incinerator room, however, probably this fire was wasn't actually in the incinerator.:p The other was a fire in a crew member's cabin (i.e. smoking and a fire in his cabin's wastebasket, etc.). Apparently HAL has a "zero tolerance" policy on this; the next night our dining room steward mentioned that the crew member was now unemployed and on his way home.

We must have been on the same cruise, though I can't recall which ship it was. I remember this incident vividly. The crew member had taken a break from his duties during dinner, had a smoke, and set his wastebasket afire with the butt after returning to service. And as I recall it was the second fire alarm that day, the other one had been in the incinerator late the night before.

How frightening it must be to hear the fire announcement for real. Especially to be awakened from slumber, when you might not really be sure of what you thought you heard.

I expect I would be half dressed for muster stations by the time the captain came back on with another announcement. That, and have my meds and jewelry tossed in a bag.

Glad the situation was taken care of so quickly and easily. Nice to know they are on top of such things.

Captain was hosting a table for Mariners Brunch. I was seated beside him when he received a message there was a fire reported in the spa area. He made immediate excuses and was on his feet and gone. We saw him later and he explained it was handled quickly and efficiently and no announcement was necessary.

Our first encounter with a fire on the ship -- Rotterdam -- around 2002(?).

We were anchored off the coast of Grenada -- it was near dinner time -- DH was out on the verandah and I was back in the dressing room starting to get ready for dinner when the alarms went off. The captain came on and announced that there was a fire in the Lido and that all passengers were to go back to their cabins and put on warm clothes and their life jackets.

First thing I did was empty the safe and stuff the medical bag into my purse. Then I got my life jacket on.

In the meantime all passengers on the tenders were ordered off and the tenders were told to get back to the ship.

The captain kept us informed every couple of minutes. It was about 20 minutes when we were told that the fire was out.

The emergency lights around one of the storage room doors exploded and caught the wood on fire.

How frightening it must be to hear the fire announcement for real. Especially to be awakened from slumber, when you might not really be sure of what you thought you heard.

I expect I would be half dressed for muster stations by the time the captain came back on with another announcement. That, and have my meds and jewelry tossed in a bag.

Glad the situation was taken care of so quickly and easily. Nice to know they are on top of such things.

In our situation, we were up and fully dressed with passports and meds in hand by the time the Capt. announced all was well but I had to gather everything together. It was chilling to hear the fire crews running down the hall responding to the initial call. Now I never unpack the bag that has my passport, meds and other small valuables. Each night they are ready to go just in case.

Edited by localady

A reminder that it's not a bad idea to have a small flashlight handy in your stateroom. It will make life easier for you to find your "stuff", incl. warm clothes and shoes, in the complete dark at night in case of a total power failure coupled with a general emergency alarm having been activated. Also, know the way to your muster station, not only from your stateroom, but from wherever you might find yourself on the vessel. Know the emergency lighting system ; green leads to red, an exit (similar to commercial aircraft) in the corridors (you'll always find them activated during the pax emergency drills and during crew drills)! Know what deck your muster station is on; know your lifeboat # and know if it is located on port (even boat #s) or starboard (odd boat #s). It pays to be prepared and to have a plan!

The danger of a fire onboard is taken very seriously! Each ship has an Incident Commander, four Fire Response teams (two Deck and two Engine) and several support teams who all drill constantly

SADMDeck5EmergencyLighting_zpsf83ea5c3.jpg

SADMFireDrillB-Deck-MarshalingArea3_zps9a5024f2.jpg

SADMFireDrillB-Deck-MarshalingArea4_zpsee1a57b0.jpg

SADMFireDrillB-Deck-MarshalingArea2_zps05db5270.jpg

SADMFireDrillB-Deck-MarshalingArea_zpsaec67675.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8

The last time we were on HAL. On board the Volendam in 2008. We had docked in Burnie, Tasmania, after a pretty wild crossing of the Tasman Sea. As we were waiting in the uber-long line to disembark for our shore excursion, we heard the ship's horn start blasting. My mother-in-law and I started counting. After seven, we looked at each other and said, "It's probably just a drill since we're in port." Then the crew who were doing the disembark came pounding up the stairs. One of the officers yelled, "It's not a drill! It's a fire. GET OFF NOW!!" :eek: So we all made a very fast, very orderly disembarkation. Later we found out there was "a small fire" in the engine room.

I always wondered how they knew who was on and off the ship after that as no scanning of ship cards took place.

We left that night, as scheduled. T'was a memorable cruise for many reasons!

Robin

We were woken on the Volendam one morning at 1.10, by the fire siren, the Captain announced a fire in the Incinerator, asked everyone to remain calm and stay where they were, a few minutes later he announced that the fire was under control; smoke had escaped setting off the alarm.

We heard later that some passengers had dressed, and were in the hallways wearing their life lifejackets.

I expect I would be half dressed for muster stations by the time the captain came back on with another announcement. <snip>

You and me both!! WOW!! I'm so glad it wasn't more serious.

A reminder that it's not a bad idea to have a small flashlight handy in your stateroom.

Maybe an idea, we always have our keycards in a special ID card holder and attached to it, is a miniature key chain LED light. Size of about ¼ of a pencil, but with a very bright light. We have bought a handful online in China for less than a dollar a peace, so easy replaceable. You can also attach it to a lanyard keycard holder.

fotokey_zps1b46b373.jpg

Maybe an idea, we always have our keycards in a special ID card holder and attached to it, is a miniature key chain LED light. Size of about ¼ of a pencil, but with a very bright light. We have bought a handful online in China for less than a dollar a peace, so easy replaceable. You can also attach it to a lanyard keycard holder.

fotokey_zps1b46b373.jpg

Great idea, bedankt!

HAL used to have mini-mag lights as prizes in the games played. They are good to keep on the nightstand; I use one when I have to toddle off in the middle of the night. Just enough light to see, without totally waking me up.