Advice needed...Independence vs Oasis

bigsky

Thought I had it all figured out that we were going to go on the Oasis in Jan. We have cruised many times, and have cruised with RC many times as well. Problem is, I found a cruise cheaper, longer, and a port we haven't been to on the Independence.

O= 7 days to the Bahamas, St Thomas, St Maarten, Jan 10th....

I= 8 days to St Maarten, St Kitts (new for us) San Juan, and Labadee, Jan 17th

We were on Freedom of the Seas, so Ind. wouldn't be new to us.

Both go out of Fort Lauderdale. I do enjoy going over to St John from St Thomas. So will miss that. I really wanted to go on the Oasis. Both have 3 days at sea. Ind has 2 days at sea right off the bat ending with one day at sea. O has 1 day at sea and ending with 2 at the end.

What did they do to the Independence to make it "new"?

What are your opinions? Really torn right now! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

I would go with the more interesting ports cruise, so Indy. We very much enjoyed St. Kitts (Royston tour--more info. on the St. Kitts board).

If you cruise often, you will be going to St. Thomas again, in all likelihood. And if you're saving a bit on the cruise fare, you can put that into some great excursions.

For us, the only advantage Oasis/Allure have over other ships we've been on is the entertainment.

If I compare same category, it could be 700.00 cheaper. But I could go to a different balcony and save only 400.00. I always try to get the hump or close to.

I'd go with the longer cruise for significantly less money.

I would go with the more interesting ports cruise, so Indy. We very much enjoyed St. Kitts (Royston tour--more info. on the St. Kitts board).

If you cruise often, you will be going to St. Thomas again, in all likelihood. And if you're saving a bit on the cruise fare, you can put that into some great excursions.

For us, the only advantage Oasis/Allure have over other ships we've been on is the entertainment.

Yes, we've been to ST Thomas many times. I guess I just wanted to try Oasis. The whole reason for dh to do a cruise, is that it's so much cheaper than our trips to Maui. So we would be saving even more on Indy. An extra day at sea sounds really nice!...and less $.

Oasis and Allure are great ships and we sail them periodically. But I love the Freedom (Indy) class ships and Indy's 8 night itinerary is really nice. We have done it several times on both Indy and Navigator the year that ship was doing the 8 nighters.

If you have never done Oasis or Allure you might want to put out the extra money to at least try those ships but you can't go wrong with Independence. But if you are really into the entertainment aboard the ship Oasis is the way to go. It beats Indy by FAR in that department.

Edited by Ocean Boy

What did they do to the Independence to make it "new"?

They didn't do as much as they did to the other ships. The changes that I can recall are:

• Added outdoor movie screen
  • Updated digital wayfinders (Independence had some before, but now she has the Oasis-style ones)
  • Cupcake Cupbard instead of the Clean Shave barber shop
  • Giovanni's Table replaced Portofino

Go on the Oasis, I JUST GOT OFF the IOS, for some reason I do not like that ship. I have been on the FOS 3 times and love that one. Been on Allure and liked that, have 20 RCCL cruises, some ships you like, others you don't.

What do you find being different? They're basically the same ship.

We had the exact same problem and have booked on the IOS for Jan 17, 2015. IOS was our very first cruise and it's the one that made us fall in love with the ocean. We have been on FOS twice since and are excited to be back on IOS. To us there was no real difference. We decided on IOS instead of the Oasis because of the extra day and we really like the Freedom class and feel the Oasis may have just too many people, especially in port. One day we'll try an Oasis but not yet.

We had the exact same problem and have booked on the IOS for Jan 17, 2015. IOS was our very first cruise and it's the one that made us fall in love with the ocean. We have been on FOS twice since and are excited to be back on IOS. To us there was no real difference. We decided on IOS instead of the Oasis because of the extra day and we really like the Freedom class and feel the Oasis may have just too many people, especially in port. One day we'll try an Oasis but not yet.

If we do it, we'll be on the same cruise with you! I tried to do a pretend booking, but could only book on deck 6! I don't want to be there with the promenade below. I think I'm going to call my agent to see what we can get. Still going on the Oasis!...if not in Jan, another time.

If we do it, we'll be on the same cruise with you! I tried to do a pretend booking, but could only book on deck 6! I don't want to be there with the promenade below. I think I'm going to call my agent to see what we can get. Still going on the Oasis!...if not in Jan, another time.

Just got off the IOS today. Love it because of the extra day and the friendly staff. We always book on 6 or 7. That way we can walk up to the pool or down to the promenade or MDR instead of having to wait for elevators.

I would say the Indy and save the $700 AND get another day.:)

We made a similar decision for this year between the Allure and the Freedom for later this year. The Freedom is $500 less so we are going on her. We have been on her once and the Allure 3 times.

Edited by molly361

Given your particular situation, really wanting to try Oasis Class and possibly not cruising again for 2-3 years, I'd pick Oasis.

Without your particulars, I'd say Indy makes a lot of sense... but you wouldn't want to regret missing out on Oasis, a truly spectacular ship.

Just got off the IOS today. Love it because of the extra day and the friendly staff. We always book on 6 or 7. That way we can walk up to the pool or down to the promenade or MDR instead of having to wait for elevators.

I just remembered last time we went on the FOS, we were on deck 6! I used to go out and sit in a chair with my computer and watch people on the promenade down below. Noise wasn't an issue. My dh said the same thing as to not wanting to wait for elevators all the time. Just grab the stairs.

Just hoping if I choose Indy, I won't regret not going on the Oasis, like you said, Dave85. Since we do cruise a lot, I can go on the Oasis another time.

Some people just can't go very often at all. If that was the case, I'd do Oasis for sure. But saving money, extra day, and going to a port we haven't been to is really persuading me.

Love these boards! So nice to get advice from fellow cruisers. Only thing is, once I have one booked, I can't stay off of them! : )

I do think I spend too much time on FB as well. I tend to look for the "like button" when someone writes something I like. :D

We just did Indy this past November and oasis this month. If the ship and entertainment are important then choose oasis. If the money and ports are important then choose Indy.

A few things that stood out to me :

1) To me Indy felt way more crowded than oasis.

2) we always book a balcony but we feel if we do oasis class again we could forego the balcony for a cheaper category and save the money. We were so busy we really didn't use it much.

3) loved all the food options on oasis. We only ate at the WJ 3 times all week.

4) the shows on oasis cannot be compared to anything else in the fleet.

5) oasis was the easiest ship we've ever got off and on in port. Fast, efficient and no elevator wait! Maybe we were just lucky:)

I personally would choose oasis over Indy for $700 more but I say that only because I've been on both. Before I sailed on oasis I'm not sure I would've said that.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We had to make basically the same decision for our upcoming spring break trip (Allure vs Indy). Having been on the Oasis, we decided to go on Allure. It was a hard decision, but in the end the amazing entertainment on Oasis class ships won us over. We absolutely loved the aqua theatre shows, production shows and comedy club on Oasis! Plus the ship is just beautiful. We had a family ocean view balcony on Oasis and are trying connecting Boardwalk balconies on Allure. These balconies were cheaper than the ocean view and we can still see the water through the aqua theatre. Hoping we don't miss our ocean view balcony too much.

We'll miss Labadee though! With the ages of our 4 kids (infant - 9), it limits our activities in port. So while we would have preferred Indy's itinerary, we decided ship activities were more important than ports for this particular vacation. Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you'll have a great time either way.

We just did Indy this past November and oasis this month. If the ship and entertainment are important then choose oasis. If the money and ports are important then choose Indy.

A few things that stood out to me :

1) To me Indy felt way more crowded than oasis.

2) we always book a balcony but we feel if we do oasis class again we could forego the balcony for a cheaper category and save the money. We were so busy we really didn't use it much.

3) loved all the food options on oasis. We only ate at the WJ 3 times all week.

4) the shows on oasis cannot be compared to anything else in the fleet.

5) oasis was the easiest ship we've ever got off and on in port. Fast, efficient and no elevator wait! Maybe we were just lucky:)

I personally would choose oasis over Indy for $700 more but I say that only because I've been on both. Before I sailed on oasis I'm not sure I would've said that.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

IF we do the INdy, the Oasis is next on my list! The one thing that stood out was Indy feeling more crowded and easier to get on and off the Oasis.

Did you do the same itinerary on Indy as we're looking at? St Marten, St Kitts, SJ, and Labadee?

Wondering which side of the ship is better? Funny, I found I ALWAYS book the right side of the ship when cruising, but always the left side on planes. Don't do intentionally, but for some reason.....

IF we do the INdy, the Oasis is next on my list! The one thing that stood out was Indy feeling more crowded and easier to get on and off the Oasis.

Did you do the same itinerary on Indy as we're looking at? St Marten, St Kitts, SJ, and Labadee?

Wondering which side of the ship is better? Funny, I found I ALWAYS book the right side of the ship when cruising, but always the left side on planes. Don't do intentionally, but for some reason.....

Our Indy cruise was a transatlantic and our Oasis was a western Caribbean. We had an aft corner on Indy and a D1 starboard on Oasis. In St. Maarten on Indy starboard was facing the port/pier. In San Juan on Indy either side would have views. In Labadee on Oasis starboard was also facing the port/pier. Not sure if this helps you:confused: