Dining room menus

cruisue

Do you see a definite change in menu selections in the main dining rooms (which are included in the cruise price, not the specialty restaurants)? We started cruising in 1996 and at that time, the selections were much greater than they have been over the last 4-5 yrs. Also, we haven't seen the quality of food there used to be. My thought is, they have toned down these menus, hoping to encourage you to go to one of their specialty restaurants where you will have to pay. What do you think?

From what I've seen the cruise lines don't 'make' money on the 'pay' restaurants. Yes, the MDR food quality isn't what it used to be, but the prices charged for cruises now aren't either (adjusted for inflation). Our first cruise was in 1980. We paid $880/pp IIRC, for the least expensive cabin on the ship. When you adjust for inflation... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Food prices have increased across the nation. So with cruise line budget cuts quality has definitely decreased. It makes sense that the best quality food is not going to be served for 'free' in the MDR. That would be true even if there were no specialty restaurants.

It depends on the cruise line. I patronize two on a frequent basis, both mass market lines. One has seen a noticeable decline, while the other after going through a bumpy two year period has now improved back to levels not seen in several years. I think it depends to a certain degree on who the head chef is for the company. Of the two line I cruise on, the cruise line where I have seen the improvements replaced the head chef a year or so ago and improvements were almost immediate.

Edited by boogs

It is obvious that unless fares go up, the quality of food must go down. Even if there were no increases in what the cruise line has to pay, the unending pressure to improve net earnings year after year means that the line must spend less on food to show an increase in net earnings.

I am not sure that I accept the conventional wisdom, often quoted, that the pay restaurants do not return a profit to the lines. That extra $19, or $40, or whatever, per person does not have to pay for food served -all it has to cover is the DIFFERENCE between what the line pays for MDR food acquisition and preparation and what it pays for specialty restaurant food acquisition and preparation.

In any event, the existence of the specialty restaurants serves to attract those customers who would abandon the mass market lines because of the deterioration of MDR food quality - thereby returning an indirect profit to the line.

You hit the nail on the head....they've "dumbed down " the MDR offerings to encourage you to spend more in the specialty restaurants. You're right, the MDR offerings used to be top class...some dishes were to pretty to eat, but you did anyway because they tasted so good!

It's certainly not like that anymore.

And, NOTHING is "free"...you have paid for everything in your fare!

Edited by cb at sea

Yes -- we have seen a decline in the main dining room food. Less offerings and not as high quality of meats compared to just 3 and 4 years ago.

As to trying you to spend more and eat in the specialty restaurants, HAL has even dropped some very popular items in their Pinnacle Grill and raised the price of dinner there. Also the Canaletto has changed their menu and now charge to eat there -- a couple of people have reported that they do not like the new concept where you are to share dishes and HAL has yet to figure out what Italian food is.

Price of food has gone up in the grocery stores and the cruise lines are trying to not raise cruise fares -- end result is cheaper quality of food.

I've never thought the food quality was all that great. We first started cruising in 1998, my husband went on a couple cruises in the late 70's. He told me not to expect gourmet food, just lots of it.

We have sailed the same ships, different voyages. When the ships were lower capacity the food seemed to be a bit better. I just don't know how people can expect excellent food on the mega ships of today. It's prepared and held like banquet food.

We are thankful for the specialty restaurants, we can get a really good meal, quiet ambience and fantastic service for a small price if you were to compare to a land restaurant.

The menus seem to be simpler. Yet, compared to when we first started cruises in the late '80s, there are some things that are more complex. For instance, on our first cruises, we would order entrees but the assistant waiter would serve the vegetables to everyone. He would have a couple of vegetables and some type of starch that you could choose from. Now each entree comes with side dishes meant to go with it.

The menus seem to be simpler. Yet, compared to when we first started cruises in the late '80s, there are some things that are more complex. For instance, on our first cruises, we would order entrees but the assistant waiter would serve the vegetables to everyone. He would have a couple of vegetables and some type of starch that you could choose from. Now each entree comes with side dishes meant to go with it.

The current pattern -entrees coming with vegetables rather than having a waiter come around with choices reflects the MDR "streamlining" - mass production in the assembly line galley and fewer waiters attending tables.

back in the good old days every third person wasn't asking for gluten free, dairy free, nut free, diabetic, vegan dinner be made just for them.

back in the good old days kids got polio.

back in the good old days women wore silk stockings and garters.

folks the good old days are gone.. they ain't coming back.

back in the good old days every third person wasn't asking for gluten free, dairy free, nut free, diabetic, vegan dinner be made just for them.

back in the good old days kids got polio.

back in the good old days women wore silk stockings and garters.

folks the good old days are gone.. they ain't coming back.

Sadly, you are not 100% on. The mysterious paralyzingl illness striking children in California bears strong resemblance to polio. Some women adhere to "tradition" -- how do you think Victoria's Secret stays in business. Putin's move into the Crimea to "protect" ethnic Russians bears some semblance to Germany's desire to "protect" the Sudeten minority inCzechoslovakia in the 1930's.

Some aspects of the old days (not all so good) are not that permanently in the past.

We have been cruising since the early l980s, my DH even before that... when there were still classes aboard.

Menues have changed a lot. If one is selective one can still eat well aboard. For us well is healthy.

We ask for what we want and find we can usually get it. We do not limit ourselves to what is on the menu or the buffet.

We rarely eat in any speciality restrauants. To be honest, the best part of the SR is not the food, its the peace and quiet. So even if we do go to a SR we will special order off menu and check that out in advance with the Matre'd. If we are paying extra we want to make sure we get what we want.

We sometimes enjoy a late lunch from the buffet which we take back to our cabin and enjoy on our balcony as much as eating in the MDR.

After 50+ cruises we know how to look for what we enjoy.

Cruises are cheaper today, I can recall cruising in the Mediterranean in the late l980s. Recall we booked a limited view cabin, because that was all we could afford and that cabin cost us $3,500 pp for a 12 day cruise and that did not include air. This year we have a 14 Mediterranean cruise, without air again, balcony cabin for $2,800 pp. Ships are bigger, so economies of scale have brought the cruise price down and the quality of food and service has come down too with more people.

In any event, the existence of the specialty restaurants serves to attract those customers who would abandon the mass market lines because of the deterioration of MDR food quality - thereby returning an indirect profit to the line.

I agree with this completely.

You hit the nail on the head....they've "dumbed down " the MDR offerings to encourage you to spend more in the specialty restaurants. You're right, the MDR offerings used to be top class...some dishes were to pretty to eat, but you did anyway because they tasted so good!

It's certainly not like that anymore.

And, NOTHING is "free"...you have paid for everything in your fare!

I don't totally agree with this. Yes, offerings in the MDR have fallen off in choices and quality of ingredients (e.g., tilapia has replaced sea bass, more pasta based items), BUT cruise fares have gone down significantly. Just think of what a balcony cabin cost in 1990 dollars cost compared to what it costs today.

To please those who want better choices and variety, the cruiselines have introduced the specialty restaurant concept as well as upsell entrees in the MDR. No one is forced to spend an extra penny on dining and can still take advantage of the low fares. For those who want to eat "better" there are options available.

All in all, having options - the ability to choose to do things - is most important. It is obvious that the niceties of "the golden age of cruising" (which very few of us could ever have afforded) are no longer with us. MDR food is of decreased quality and narrower selection. But, it is important to recognize that we are able to afford cruising at all only because of cost-cutting by the cruise lines. If I want gourmet experiences, I will go to restaurants which offer them; since I enjoy cruising, I appreciate the fact that today's model makes it possible for me.

I am not going to pretend to be a marketing guru or a business major but I have noticed that they now make "gummy" vitamins that they market to adults and Dave and Buster's bears a remarkable resembalance to Chuck E. Cheese. Just wondering if changing customer demographics might be playing a role in all of this.

Edited by sparks1093

To please those who want better choices and variety, the cruiselines have introduced the specialty restaurant concept as well as upsell entrees in the MDR. No one is forced to spend an extra penny on dining and can still take advantage of the low fares. For those who want to eat "better" there are options available.

I would agree with this, except for the fact that it is not just the quality of food that has decreased. It is also the quality of service throughout the ship. Fewer niceties that were previously included. If one really wants the same cruise experience, it is more or less necessary to go with one of the upscale lines (e.g., not mass market).

I am not going to pretend to be a marketing guru or a business major but I have noticed that they now make "gummy" vitamins that they market to adults and Dave and Buster's bears a remarkable resembalance to Chuck E. Cheese. Just wondering if changing customer demographics might be playing a role in all of this.

Of course there is a changing demographic. Cruising used to be a pastime of the relatively well off. Now cruise lines need to appeal to a much wider customer base if they wish to fill the rapidly growing number of bunks.