sydney sailaway

shipsealand

DW and I are planning to do the Australia/New Zealand cruise on the Diamond Princes in January next year. Which is best side of ship in sailing away from Sydney, especially to see the Sydney Opera House?

if they drive in portside but if they back in starboard side

someone else asked the same thing on the Australian/NZ board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1999726

DW and I are planning to do the Australia/New Zealand cruise on the Diamond Princes in January next year. Which is best side of ship in sailing away from Sydney, especially to see the Sydney Opera House?

You'll probably get a view from both sides, as most ships dock bow in. While you're still in port the Opera House is on the port side, giving you a wonderful view. When the ship leaves, it backs up, turns in the bay and heads out to sea with the Opera House on the starboard side. Occasionally a ship will back into the dock upon arrival, and in that case you'd only get a view from the starboard side.

You're in for a wonderful treat - leaving Sydney is our favorite sail-away yet!

Edited by Kartgv

Maybe even better than sail-away, is a sunrise arrival. Here's the view from our port balcony (actually an aft wrap-around on port side) at sunrise in March, 2012:

0029A1SydneyArrival_zps16d5b3f1.jpg

Edited by Kartgv

Definitely - get up early if you sail in at dawn as we did - I was up at 5am to see the sail in from the heads to the Opera House - Quite the site as you round the final part and the opera house and harbor bridge come into view....

Sydney sailaways are normally late, 10pm or later, and in those latitudes its normally dark by then.. It does not detract from the excitment but it does provide different views to daylight.

In my experience of many cruises leaving from Sydney, sailaway on Princess (and P&O) is usually scheduled for 4pm, although there could be a short delay.