Status of Shareholder OBC?

royal65

My next HAL cruise is in August and I'm wondering about whether I'll receive a shareholder credit. I seem to remember this benefit is renewed periodically for a limited period, perhaps a year at a time. HAL is changing and I hope they don't eliminate it. I've searched the HAL site to no avail and the CC search function is down. Anyone know its status? thanx

I cruise in Sept. on the Oosterdam. I faxed my stock info about 2 months ago and after a couple of weeks I called them because I hadn't seen my OBC posted. After checking they said they received it and it would show up about 3 days before my cruise. Today after reading some of the problems people had with getting their OBC after boarding, I called my T/A and had her check with Hal and get me an e-mail confirmation. After a few mins. on hold my T/A came back and said it is showing now and they were sending her a confirmation which she forwarded to me. So yes, it is still good. Be sure to get a confirmation.

So is this on board credit based on the number of shares you own or is one share as good as 100? If I am not being too forward, how much OBC does owning shares get you?

You must own 100 shares to get the OBC. The amount varies by the length of cruise and level of cabin. The max is $250 OBC for a suite on a cruise over 12 days in length, IIRC.

You must own 100 shares to get the OBC. The amount varies by the length of cruise and level of cabin. The max is $250 OBC for a suite on a cruise over 12 days in length, IIRC.

The cruise must be 14 days in length to get $250. Cabin category is not relevant to amount received, only the cruise length is relevant.

If you are going to do at least 2 cruises a year -- and for several years -- it is well worth buying 100 shares.

The shipboard credit you get depends on the length of your cruise.

We bought Carnival Corp stock years ago when it was about $12 a share.

The bad news is we bought ours years ago too, at $40.86 a share. It is currently selling for $39.66 per share.

The good news is that we have gotten $5,725.00 in shipboard credits (OBC) on the $4,086.00 investment and that doesn't count the dividends. In addition, we will be getting another $500 OBC on 2 future cruises already booked.

Needless to say, it is a very good investment.

Edited by ScriptOhio

This is the breakdown of the OBC by length of cruise.

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 14 days or longer

US $250

€ 200

£ 150

A$ 250

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 7 to 13 days

US $100

€ 75

£ 60

A$ 100

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 6 days or less

US $ 50

€ 40

£ 30

A$ 50

My next HAL cruise is in August and I'm wondering about whether I'll receive a shareholder credit. I seem to remember this benefit is renewed periodically for a limited period, perhaps a year at a time. HAL is changing and I hope they don't eliminate it. I've searched the HAL site to no avail and the CC search function is down. Anyone know its status? thanx

Since the OBC's are provided by Carnival Corporation, not HAL, I wonder how much influence HAL does have over them. It would seem that it is in Carnival Corporation's best interest to encourage the buying of stock. With that in mind, I would assume that would strongly encourage HAL to honor the OBC's.

Yesterday I sent in a copy of my shareholder statement in the morning, ET, and the OBC was on my next three cruises by lunch time! This is the first time I tried this and am pleased at how easy it was to accomplish.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I recently sent my Shareholder benefit request to HAL via snail mail. I received an e-mail confirmation 5 days later. I expected it to take at least 2 weeks. Seems to me that HAL is doing a good job of honoring these OBC's.