What happened to the beverage packages?! (No more soda only!)

Based on what others are saying, it sounds like either the crew on board was confused.

Not sure. The family in question is lurking in this thread, and she just sent me the following:

just want to be clear... we asked the people in the terminal at the port who had all the cups set up on a table for you to purchase right then and there and they said no soda only... just what was on the sheet. Then we went on the boat in the Promenade where there were two more tables set up for you to purchase drink packages... it was crowded... I asked two different employees for a soda only package and they said I could only purchase what was on the sheet. No soda only! Maybe it is possible that I hit three misinformed, or first day on the job employees but I doubt it.
Edited by Oshawapilot

It wouldn't be the first time we have dealt with misinformed staff however if this is what it turns out to have been – in December aboard Grandeur for the first three days the staff at Cafê Latitudes refused to give out any of the snacks in their cooler without a beverage purchase. Apparently they had been told by somebody that this was a new policy, and it took several trips to guest relations to have this corrected.

Later on that same trip we had a guest relations officer that virtually called us liars when we tried to ask for information about the waterslide in Labadie – she vehemently insisted that there was no such thing despite the fact our kids had used it on our last two trips there, going so far as to suggest that we were clearly mixing up Labadie and Coco Cay. When we scoured the ship for a Labadie activities flyer that clearly showed a picture of it she sheepishly apologized.

Not sure. The family in question is lurking in this thread, and she just sent me the following:

I wonder what was on "the sheet"? Could it be possible the guests were looking for "soda package" and not seeing it, assumed it wasn't available?

The package is now called the Royal Refreshment Package. RCCL has done some rather strange things lately, but pulling the soda package (from being purchased onboard) would be wrong on so many levels, including the fact 4 in our group are planning on purchasing it Sunday on the Freedom. Yesterday was the last day we could purchase ahead of time.

If I think about it before I shut my phone down, I'll post what we find when we board.

Cathy

We were on the Dec. 2nd cruise on Explorer. Our friend was told erroneously that the only package was $20 a day.

We then also sailed on Explorer for the January 21 and January 31 cruises and purchased the soda only package.

I think the crew was not understanding the new drink program. The soda only package is not on the sheet they gave out but the sign next to the freestyle soda machines where they were selling the package did state that the soda only packages were $6.50 and $4.50 plus tax and tip.

I wouldn't worry about that package. I just think that the crew was confused.

For me the whole point of buying the package on board is you walk on the ship, buy the package, and have the cup in hand immediately. If you buy in advance you have to wait until the staterooms open to get the cup since they have it waiting for you in your room.

Maybe the OP's issue was that the sales tables were only selling the more expensive packages. So when the RCCL staff who were manning the sales tables said could only purchase the more expensive packages, they could have meant you could only buy those specific packages at that table. If that is the case, they should have then followed up with soda packages are available at a bar.

According to the FAQs on RCCL's website, the soda package is available for purchase at the bars/lounges:

Food & Beverage

Print This Page

Q: Are drink packages offered onboard?

A: We offer a soda package for both kids and adults on every ship in our fleet. To purchase one, just visit any of our onboard bars or lounges.

There is confusion on individual ships about the new packages and rules, and there is also some convenient withholding of policy updates to the bar staff. On Serenade in January, the bar staff was adamant that all adults in a cabin had to buy a drink package and they couldn't sell me just one of them. I went to the bar supervisor and he said the same thing. I then went to his manager who finally admitted they had not 'rolled out' the new rules to the bar staff yet, and he then told them to sell me one package, that my wife didn't have to buy one too. But how many people on that cruise bought packages they really didn't want, just because the husband, boyfriend, wife, etc., wanted one?

They were selling the soda only package but were pushing the $20 version when people asked about soda. Again, they were trying to push people into something they didn't need. But they did have the signs for the 'old' soda package on the sales desks.

I wonder what was on "the sheet"? Could it be possible the guests were looking for "soda package" and not seeing it, assumed it wasn't available?

Look at post #3 in this thread - I included a link to a photo of the very sheet they were given on the ship, to which all the staff said more or less "See, no soda only option, Royal Replenish at $20/day or nothing!".

Edit: Here's the photo again for those who missed it.

http://dieselplace.oshawapilot.ca/beverages.jpg

Edited by Oshawapilot

Look at post #3 in this thread - I included a link to a photo of the very sheet they were given on the ship, to which all the staff said more or less "See, no soda only option, Royal Replenish at $20/day or nothing!".

So what does this mean if i already bought my soda package for my up coming Oasis cruise in May ??. does that mean i have to pay the extra 14$ a day per person to get the replienish. I am not going to call royal agents now cause i know they wont have a clue of what is going on

So what does this mean if i already bought my soda package for my up coming Oasis cruise in May ??. does that mean i have to pay the extra 14$ a day per person to get the replienish. I am not going to call royal agents now cause i know they wont have a clue of what is going on

I'd keep your documentation about your soda package purchase. My guess is that they will honor the package you bought.

I'd keep your documentation about your soda package purchase. My guess is that they will honor the package you bought.

I could be wrong of course, but my guess is they're still selling the soda package both online AND on the ship and will be in the future.

Ill make sure I print one it off tonight, I have it saved. cant really picture them getting rid of the soda package, If they do get rid if it there will be a lot of upset people.

I wouldnt mind getting the drink package but at 55$ x2 a day we would never drink enough to get our moneys worth.

Did you all not the email recently about the new drink packages? If you have an upcoming cruise within a few weeks I would think you did. I did, I for one ....and maybe the only one that has seen this tread think this is a great new package. I think RCCL is listening to what people want. There have been many threads/comments on cc about wanting a drink package that included the coffees and non alcoholic drinks!

if you look into it you will see they will switch your package once on board to the $55 package and you will get a $5 OBC a day.

I would rather have the $20 a day package because DH and I don't drink alcohol but I do like the non alcoholic frozen drinks. We drink the special coffees. the $55 package includes beer and wine

you might want to look further into this!

I have no interest in any of those. I've never had a red bull in my life and I don't drink sugary drinks. The bottled water is nice, but I just drink their water and it tastes fine. I like a few diet sodas a day and the package has always been worthwhile.

Well, if it's not on my Sunday cruise I guess it might be a good impetus to quit the diet soda habit (keep saying I will, but never do).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You do know that you can just buy your sodas by the can, as you go?

just want to be clear... we asked the people in the terminal at the port who had all the cups set up on a table for you to purchase right then and there and they said no soda only... just what was on the sheet. Then we went on the boat in the Promenade where there were two more tables set up for you to purchase drink packages... it was crowded... I asked two different employees for a soda only package and they said I could only purchase what was on the sheet. No soda only! Maybe it is possible that I hit three misinformed, or first day on the job employees but I doubt it.

I don't. :rolleyes:

I just got off the phone with RC and it is still available! :) Around 7.50 per day...(includes the gratuity)

...and we have 1 Soda (only) package ordered on our next 2 cruises...

After all...we have to keep our RCI souvenir cup collection rolling along. :D

Can you show us the WHOLE handout, front and back, nothing cropped off?

Because the wine package, the bottled water package, the bottled juice package, and the soda package are not listed on that .... but they are still available.

Just like the file shown here: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/royal/en_US/pdf/beverage_packages.pdf

Scroll to the second page and you see that there ARE other packages available, they're just not considered to be "all-inclusive" types, so they're not shown alongside the other versions.

Cathy

Scroll back, and you'll see where the OP made "the sheet" available to view.

image.jpg.2115515841b85045c3a8d97ce886c355.jpg

Edited by DimeloCantando

Can you show us the WHOLE handout, front and back, nothing cropped off?

Because the wine package, the bottled water package, the bottled juice package, and the soda package are not listed on that .... but they are still available.

Just like the file shown here: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/royal/en_US/pdf/beverage_packages.pdf

Scroll to the second page and you see that there ARE other packages available, they're just not considered to be "all-inclusive" types, so they're not shown alongside the other versions.

He is showing you the photograph that his friends took of the handout that they received on the Explorer last week. That is the whole point of his starting this thread.

We don't normally buy beforehand because my DH doesn't want to wait to get in the cabin to get his soda card as we normally are on the ship prior to the cabins being ready, I didn't want to take a chance of the soda package being discontinued as the price went for $90 to $240.

You don't have to wait until your cabin is available to get your CARD -- only to get the special CUP.

The insignia is printed on your SeaPass card if you pre-purchase, and added as a sticker if you purchase on board. So you can go to any bar and get a soda with a pre-purchased package, even without having gone to the cabin to get the cup, as soon as you are on board.

The only thing you need to have the cup for is the Freestyle machine. Otherwise, you can just flash your card and get a drink at any bar.

He is showing you the photograph that his friends took of the handout that they received on the Explorer last week. That is the whole point of his starting this thread.

My point is that I asked for an UNCROPPED, TWO-SIDED version of that sheet.

Did I not make that clear?

Because even the online-version of the sheet is TWO PAGES LONG, and the SODA-ONLY package is listed on the OTHER page.