Princess dress code failure

Irvine Traveler

Are you listening Princess?

The vast majority want the dress policies enforced. NO EXCUSES! We all are on OUR vacation, most have to fly, most work where a certain form of dress is required-be it a suit, a post office uniform, a nurse etc. Keep Princess the product we came to enjoy.

Thanks Ethel. I totally agree. The Maître D needs to grow a pair and enforce at least the Smart Casual attire on Formal Night. I wonder if those wearing shorts and tee shirts do so at a restaurant at home?

I agree about formal nights, but I really don't care what people wear on regular nights, except maybe for ripped clothing and dingy t-shirts. On our last cruise we didn't feel like dragging an extra suitcase for three formal nights, but when I told the servers that we wouldn't be there, they told us we could come as we are (I was wearing slacks and a sweater set). We didn't, we ate in HC on those nights. On our cruise next week I am wearing a sparkly cocktail dress. I hope I don't get comments or strange looks.

Denise

Don't think it will be a problem.....:):):)

Bob

"special" to whom?? In their own minds maybe, but certainly not to everyone who dressed in accordance with Princess' guidelines. This really would have annoyed me, especially on formal night.

I agree that Princess' inconsistency is at the root of the problem. Either enforce your current guidelines fleet-wide or change them. :mad:

10828987125_c9d28e5512_m.jpg

Bob

sunsetbeachgal hit the nail on the head. Inconsistency between ships makes it difficult at best.

For some reason, the Sapphire seems to be the ship that adheres to Formal Night. We did see people turned away from the Crown Grille because of short sleeves. The gentleman was wearing a very nice polo type shirt but they would not let him in. So there you go.;)

There is no Crown Grill on the Sapphire.

Just Sterling which is set up in the HC buffet area.

Perhaps this is a tad strong, but not dressing suitably in the MDR makes a mockery of Princess and is insulting for your table guests/other diners. There are other venues if you choose to 'underdress'.

There are some people who will go out of their way not to observe rules and codes. Quite likely the same people cross a double line to pass you on the road.

We are young professionals and cruise Princess often --

I agree that the current rules should be enforced (and we DO adhere to the dress code), but I sympathize with the "I'm on vacation" mindset to an extent. Maybe Princess recognizes that the demographics are changing a bit on these ships and for those of us that wear a suit to work everyday, the last thing we want to do is dress up for "formal night" when we just left our snowy Northeast office buildings for a one-week Caribbean/Mexican/HI cruise (yes, we know the buffet is an option).

I wouldn't mind seeing "formal night" relaxed or limited in some way (maybe only required at one dining area/specialty restaurant that evening). IMO, slacks and a polo should be acceptable every night, as they are in most upscale land restaurants. This would also greatly simplify packing logistics.

Please spare us the "go on Carnival" comments -- we prefer Princess and are trying to offer a different perspective.

"special" to whom?? In their own minds maybe, but certainly not to everyone who dressed in accordance with Princess' guidelines. This really would have annoyed me, especially on formal night.

I agree that Princess' inconsistency is at the root of the problem. Either enforce your current guidelines fleet-wide or change them. :mad:

10828987125_c9d28e5512_m.jpg

Ditto on the LIKE

I guess there will always be formal-night threads on CC and there will always be those who defend the old mores. But every year the makeup of cruise passengers shifts a little more to the informal side. Fewer and fewer men even own a tux, much less want to pay the extra airline fees to bring it. Suits are now seen as a hated but necessary demand of the work environment, not as a natural part of the landscape -- and therefore ditched immediately on shifting into vacation mode. So every year the atmosphere on formal night will be less formal.

It's interesting that the luxury cruise lines have moved quickly to accommodate this trend. Oceania has no formal nights. Even Crystal now has only "black tie optional" nights. This battle is now restricted only to the middle tier cruise lines like Princess, and it will inevitably be lost there as well.

I don't know that it's a matter of defending old mores...I think it's a matter of expecting that dress standards be the same on board the ship as they are when presented in the brochures and guidelines. That's what many of us use to gauge the product that we want to buy. If I ordered something online and when I got the item it didn't work the way it was advertised would I send it back? You bet.

But when I buy a Princess cruise expecting a product that delivers the experience described to me in the sales media and people are not dressed appropriately in the dining room, do I get my money back or an exchange cruise? No. I have to suck it up and accept boorish behavior.

I encourage Princess to change their dress guidelines...or not, depending on what they think markets best for them. But whatever that decision, follow the guidelines so we can make an informed decision on the cruise experience we want to buy.

Thanks Ethel. I totally agree. The Maître D needs to grow a pair and enforce at least the Smart Casual attire on Formal Night. I wonder if those wearing shorts and tee shirts do so at a restaurant at home?

Count on it. They wear exactly the same thing to restaurants at home.

We were on the Royal last week (Feb 23) and on the first night in late seating Traditional dining they were strict about no shorts in the dining room, starting with the first night. They did let them in that night but told them that they would not be seated again if they came in shorts.

I think some people think the first night they can wear whatever they want, with no dress code. I also think when they suggest "smart casual" some people do not know what that means. I do agree that most diners come dressed as they would if they were at home going out to a nice restaurant, while others feel the weather is warm and they come in sporty casual clothes. I live in Florida and you would not believe the way some tourist dress. We've seen people at the mall dress in bathing suits shopping. Granted they are usually bright pink from laying out in the sun, but really these same people would be offended if we dressed that way in their country.

We are young professionals and cruise Princess often --

I agree that the current rules should be enforced (and we DO adhere to the dress code), but I sympathize with the "I'm on vacation" mindset to an extent. Maybe Princess recognizes that the demographics are changing a bit on these ships and for those of us that wear a suit to work everyday, the last thing we want to do is dress up for "formal night" when we just left our snowy Northeast office buildings for a one-week Caribbean/Mexican/HI cruise (yes, we know the buffet is an option).

I wouldn't mind seeing "formal night" relaxed or limited in some way (maybe only required at one dining area/specialty restaurant that evening). IMO, slacks and a polo should be acceptable every night, as they are in most upscale land restaurants. This would also greatly simplify packing logistics.

Please spare us the "go on Carnival" comments -- we prefer Princess and are trying to offer a different perspective.

Princess already offers places for dining to those that do not wish to dress up for dinner in the dining room on formal night. One dining room would not be enough to hold the numbers of passengers that participate in formal night.:D

Another couple joined us. the man has a pair of dress shoes, a pair of dress pants and what was apparently, his formal aloha shirt.

I was told once, on a Hawaiian cruise, that Hawaiian dress is considered formal because it is the formal dress of the culture. It is like the guy in the kilt. I don't know if that's true,but I've never seen it on a non-

Hawaiian itinerary.

What I really like about formal night is watching the people parade by in their finery. I have seen some of the most beautiful dresses...

Princess already offers places for dining to those that do not wish to dress up for dinner in the dining room on formal night. One dining room would not be enough to hold the numbers of passengers that participate in formal night.:D

Not currently, of course, but if smart casual were permitted in a/the MDR on those nights I suspect many passengers would leave their formal wear at home.

I agree. We have cruised for many years and for many of them we complied with all the suits and formal wear. My husband hated wearing a tie and coat and often would come off at the table because it was very warm in the dining room and very uncomfortable for him. Now after 25 years, I tell him go ahead and wear a "VERY NICE POLO AND DRESS SLACKS". I still wear my long gown anyways because I enjoy getting dressed up. We are both happy. Why waste time on something so petty. We have less baggage to take, we usually do 30 days at a time, and it saves space not having to pack his suit, etc. We do feel we pay a lot of money and he looks very nice, not sloppy and I agree with you most fine restaurants in warmer weather allow that look.

I do not agree with shorts or t-shirts; however, sometimes if they were seen possibly their luggage was lost and delayed getting to the ship. If this happened to us, we would expect to be allowed in the DR because we paid our money.

I do realize many people come in inappropriately, however I must agree many women wearing a sundress is no different than a gentleman wearing a polo and nice slacks.

Everyone seems to have a suit and tie thing--what about the women who dress inappropriately.

We were on Royal Caribbean Liberty and Independence during spring break and they were letting the young college kids coming in the DR in clothes that looked like Victoria Secret clothing, with shorts that looked like underwear. All the men thought it was fine and didn't understand what the problem was when 50-60 couples would parade through to their tables. Point is, I would never let my daughter wear that to dinner, but I am sure their parent's didn't know. I didn't let it ruin my cruise.

Princess should make at least one DR formal night optional and I would imagine you should see that DR much more full on formal night than the formal one.

As far as first night goes, things are often relaxed because luggage may not have made it to the stateroom yet, especially for early Trad.

My opinion on this is unchanged. I don't care what you wear to the MDR as long as its clean, odor free, and in reasonable repair.

That said, I also believe in respecting the rules of the ship and not forcing the staff to either turn a blind eye or play police. Therefore, if we are eating in the MDR on formal nights, I will wear at the minimum a jacket and tie. Because that's what the ship has requested of me. To do otherwise is disrespectful to the staff and the ship, more so than the other diners.

As far as first night goes, things are often relaxed because luggage may not have made it to the stateroom yet, especially for early Trad.

My opinion on this is unchanged. I don't care what you wear to the MDR as long as its clean, odor free, and in reasonable repair.

That said, I also believe in respecting the rules of the ship and not forcing the staff to either turn a blind eye or play police. Therefore, if we are eating in the MDR on formal nights, I will wear at the minimum a jacket and tie. Because that's what the ship has requested of me. To do otherwise is disrespectful to the staff and the ship, more so than the other diners.

We feel that the staff hate wearing all that attire, especially when it is that hot and they are working their butts off. I think the staff care more about people treating them like people and appreciating them more than what they are wearing. I do agree with you that wearing clean and odor free and good condition clothing is important. On the Emerald there were many people getting in the elevators who it was evident did not bathe or wash their clothing.

I was told once, on a Hawaiian cruise, that Hawaiian dress is considered formal because it is the formal dress of the culture. It is like the guy in the kilt. I don't know if that's true,but I've never seen it on a non-

Hawaiian itinerary.

What I really like about formal night is watching the people parade by in their finery. I have seen some of the most beautiful dresses...

There are all styles of Aloha shirts and all types of costs. But in Hawaii an Aloha shirt will suffice at the most elegant event and will not be considered inappropriate.

I read this on the Princess "Cruise Answer Book" just now... all the way at the botton :D

"Note: Dress Code is subject to change with the ship's itinerary. The above is a general guideline".

Key Words:

1. Subject to Change

2. General Guideline (referring to the dress code)

They dont say how Princess will communicate this out to each ship/itinerary... But I'm assuming that if you were on one of those cruises where "casuals" strolled into the MDR... you were on one of them! :p

As for me, like I have said before, will confidently enjoy my cruise the casual way. ;)

There are all styles of Aloha shirts and all types of costs. But in Hawaii an Aloha shirt will suffice at the most elegant event and will not be considered inappropriate.

Where I live it gets hot in the summer - lots of high 90's and always a week or so in the 108 - 112 range (obviously Fahrenheit :-)). You will find many people at restaurants (including the nice ones) wearing nice shorts, Birkenstocks or other nice sandals, and a nice Aloha shirt. They aren't tacky, they are trying not to get heat stroke.

I wore Aloha shirts (Tommy Bahama) to MDR most nights on our last cruise (Hawaii) and didn't feel bad about it at all. Of course I also wore nice pants and shoes at the same time. On formal nights I don't wear a tux. I do wear a nice dark suit (sometimes with vest), a dark dress shirt, coordinating tie, and dark socks with black dress shoes. We stay "dressed" for the entire evening.

As stated above, a nice Aloha shirt works for most things in Hawaii. The same is true here where I live.

Edited by Thrak

I agree!:D

I am thankful that my husband feels the same as you Loonbeam.:D

More than 99% of Princess passengers adhere to the dinner dress code. By far the vast majority would prefer that Princess enforce their standards.

Princess would be better served to cater to the majority than to continue to make exceptions for a small minority

Wait, what? Is it really the case that less than 1% of those in a MDR are causing all of this hubbub? What is that, 5 people? If so, I think you just made the point that this is kind of a non-issue.

Take care.