“The Chardonnay Sisters Have Their Eyes on Free Dry Cleaning”

diann744

Or, “Why I Love the Passenger Act of 1886”

When the younger, prettier twin and I set off on our first cruise almost 10 years ago, we knew the stakes. We knew the score. We knew we were committing to spend four figures to attain those coveted little enamel pins – blue, red, gold – that would eventually end up swept into the corner at the dry cleaner’s, never to be seen again.

We knew the hundred day medallion would set us back five figures and thereafter languish in the deepest recesses of the third-best jewelry box gathering dust on the bookcase in the hallway. We knew it would hurt but we knew we were up to the challenge. We had our eyes on the prize.

With seven days to go to four-star status, we looked to book a Coastal/Alaska cruise only to realize that, once again, the Passenger Act was conspiring against us in favor of protecting the health and prosperity of America’s bustling cruise ship industry.

And so, rather than book a B2B on the Statendam, we will enjoy the luxury of the Amsterdam for four days, disembark and join the Statendam the following day for transit to Anchorage.

There’s always a silver lining. Four nights will certainly get us seven cruise night credits. And even if we won’t have the pin to prove it (my dry cleaner doesn't need another pin anyway) we’ll know that we’ve hit the goal of four stars in ten years.

If anyone has any dry cleaning to be done, feel free to send it along.

Diann

This is great, as long as you do your regular thread!! Please, please....

This itinerary change is worth free laundry for a week (not dry cleaning)! You will have to tell the Statendam that you got to 4 star on the Amsterdam. They won't know since it won't be registered for a week or so.

My suggestion: pack light for this one.

I hope these ships are well-stocked in chardonnay. Have a great time and congratulations on 4 star status!!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Are you boarding the Amsterdam in San Diego on May 13 as it winds its way up the coast from FLL? If so, I'll be looking for you, as I'll still be on the ship up to Seattle, then stay on for the b2b 14 day Alaska cruise. I love your blogs and hope to see you on the ship.

776 days at sea....39 ships.....7 continents

HAL 4* ....................Princess ELITE

I don'twant to be a party pooper but four/five star mariners get free laundry and pressing but it's Neptune and Pinnacle Suite guests who have free (included in the fare) dry cleaning.

Oh no! No free dry cleaning?! That’s outrageous. What have we been doing these last 10 years? For shame, HAL, for shame.

I see a grassroots protest in Seattle’s future!

e391b29b-8be8-4564-8299-e404271e7456.jpg

Silvercruiser – yes, we’ll be on the Amsterdam starting on the 13th. I doubt there’s a meet & greet (I haven’t actually looked though) but we can definitely make plans to meet up. Apparently, we’ll be the ones in the dirty clothes!

Sisters744