Expressing Dissatisfaction in the Only Meaningful Way

NJ Fred

It is with great interest and objectivity that I have digested the many opinions concerning objectionable changes to the Celebrity product.

My wife and I cruise between two and three times per year. We fancy voyages of ten days or longer. We enjoy balcony staterooms but used to book oceanviews in the days when balconies simply did not exist given when the vessel was constructed.

Our first Celebrity cruise aboard Galaxy hooked us on the brand. While not fogey-ish, we savor attentive service, fine dining and reasonable sophistication. We look forward to our before dinner cocktail in a well-appointed, intimate lounge. Out of respect for ourselves and our fellow passengers we honor the dress code. After all, everyone was timely informed of it so why not play by the few rules of the vessel?

I am not going to debate cuisine or entertainment at length. My comments in those areas will be a simple concurrence with those who opine that both food (taste and presentation) and evening showtimes have gone downhill.

It is elementary. Celebrity ships routinely sail at or near capacity. So long as this profitable trend continues it is, I assert, unrealistic to believe that Michael Bayley and his executive washroom colleagues will upgrade cruise components that re included in the baseline fare.

This is the corporate mentality that gave birth to the extra fee so-called "specialty" restaurants. Dining used to be the main event; with theme nights featuring both atmospheric and culinary delights from around the world. Minus the existing Baked Alaska parades, I do not think the main dining rooms will ever again be anything more than gloried mess halls.

The buffets? Please, don't get me started! These fertile planting grounds for noro and crude behavior saw their best days many years ago.

So to the theme of my posting. Taking your business elsewhere is the only way - I say again the ONLY way - to get Mr. Bayley and his "team" to revisit the changing Celebrity product. When those pretty white ships sail away with a plethora of empty cabins, only them will he blow the bugle and attempt to find out what errors were made that resulted in customers spending their money elsewhere. If we keep going back for more we are validating the very changes we seem to dislike. Those comment cards are traditional - the only thing that counts is the "take."

Let me close by assuring those who read my essay that I do not live in the past. I fully understand that the days of family-owned cruise lines (Home Lines, Sitmar, et al.) are in Davy Jones' Locker. Today's cruises are controlled by bean counting and answering to stockholders; some of whom demand profits while they, simultaneously, vilify the lack luster product sailing under the guise of "modern luxury."

We have two Celebrity voyages booked for this year. The first we will board in early May. The second is booked for November 1. If the May trip turns out bad we fully intend to spend our money elsewhere.

I will pay the cost of a cruise. But I want what I want. And if Mr. Bayley's product no longer lives up to expectations - perhaps one of Mr. Arison's ships will.

You see, I still believe that we consumers control the marketplace. But only if we realize that validating a substandard product with repeat business is harpooning ourselves in the foot.

Just my opinion. I respect all others and wish us all Bon Voyage.

You are right in your comments.

I think the issue is that new cruisers spend more money as they are less savvy on ways to minimise their spend. So only if tourists sail once, there are plenty of first timers to replace them. Until this customer base runs out they will have no reason to change.

:)

How long ago was your cruise? I have been reading many reviews from people who have taken multiple Celebrity cruises that they quality of food in the MDR has increased.

I look forward to judging for myself in 13 days!

I agree with your sentiment, but i really think the "everyone is replaceable" adage rings true here. Even if every loyal customer left the brand the ships would be full of new customers who haven't experienced the hayday of sailing (like me).

I don't mind paying more for a suite to get the service I want or paying more for a meal at a specialty restaurant. So I do and that's my choice, maybe I'm contributing to the downfall of the product?

And there are hoards of people willing to buy our cabin if we don't. So it's not always easy to teach a company a lesson by leaving, but it does make you feel better about how your vacation money is spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry to disagree with the OP, but our last four Celebrity S class cruises were absolutely wonderful. The food in the MDR has improved light years from when we first started cruising in the mid 1990's. It was go good that we were actually underwhelmed by our four specialty restaurant dinners and will most likely not book them in the future. We are not usually buffet people, but again we were very pleasantly surprised not only by the variety but the quality of the food available at breakfast and lunch. I agree that Celebrity's entertainment is not very exciting and could probably be improved, and changed on a more frequent basis. We were on a 10 night Caribbean sailing and frankly for the price of a Concierge cabin you cannot find a comparable land based vacation on one of the more desirable islands. There are many cruise options at different price levels and if you're unhappy you should take your business elsewhere. However when Celebrity fills their ships with well over 50% Elite passengers I don't see the vast majority of loyal customers going anywhere anytime soon.

Basically no truer thoughts about free enterprise could be written.

We too have made the choice not to live in the past of Celebrity, our 1st sailing was in 1994 on the Zenith, a small bucket by today's ships. No need to debate the changes as they will continue to evolve.

But alas, even a horse has to be re-shoed. We thought we would try and ride an old horse by sailing the Ruby Princess in 2012, all it did was reaffirm that the Celebrity product, even with the differences and changes from 1994 to now, was the product we wish to validate.

Now on to research 6 ports and what to do with 4 1/2 sea days:)

Basically no truer thoughts about free enterprise could be written.

We too have made the choice not to live in the past of Celebrity, our 1st sailing was in 1994 on the Zenith, a small bucket by today's ships. No need to debate the changes as they will continue to evolve.

But alas, even a horse has to be re-shoed. We thought we would try and ride an old horse by sailing the Ruby Princess in 2012, all it did was reaffirm that the Celebrity product, even with the differences and changes from 1994 to now, was the product we wish to validate.

Now on to research 6 ports and what to do with 4 1/2 sea days:)

Our first Celebrity cruise was also on Zenith before X was purchased by RCI. We have also sailed HAL, RCI and Princess with varying results. Our conclusion is that Celebrity still is the best product in the mainstream cruise industry.

I agree that if a company does not provide you with what you desire, you are best off taking your business elsewhere. My question to the OP - where do you plan to take your business, or are you giving up on cruising altogether? Azamara might remind you more of the old Celebrity; however, it comes at a price, and the cabins are rather basic if you're used to the Celebrity S-class.

I keep expecting Celebrity to start disappointing me, but it hasn't happened yet. Some things have changed for the better and others for the worse, but all in all, we end up with wonderful vacations at a reasonable price. We are trying a luxury line next year only because Celebrity and Azamara do not have the intinerary we want, but after that experience, I expect we will happily return to Celebrity.

The problem that people have is perception of how or what iit really was.

Everyone remembers the good old days. Question is was it really that good or great?

People will comment about how they don't built cars like they use to. I am glad that they don't. I had the opportunity to drive a car like the one that I had I in the good old days. A 1963 Corvette. I always dreamed of buying another. Seached and dreamed and decided to take the plunge. Took one for a rest drive and walked away. Told my wife that I wish that I wouldn't have ruined my fond memories by driving that car. It wasn't as great as I always remembered it to be.

On our first cruise 14 years ago we couldn't understand why so many people were complaining about everything. Everyhting was new to us and for us it was fantastic. I am sure that those people also thought that the cruising experience was going south and not what they use to experience.

In the last 14 years I know that my taste in food has also changed. I no longer find onion rings, pizza, deep fried mushrooms, French fries, hot dogs or hamburgers to be that appealing. Has that been caused by the decrease in quality?

Same with Disney World. Years ago that was our favorite destination and we would try to go there as much as possbile but it no longer appeals to us becasue too much has changed and it is not how we remember it to be, but it must be doing something right as it attracts record crowds.

🌅🚢🇺🇸

Everything changes and for the most part for the better.

Here's my viewpoint....

The faster the all the curmudgeons who complain about the food quality, the loudness of the music, the attire on formal night, and really silly things the lack of flowers or ice water in their cabins move on to other lines, the better.

I rather sail with a ship full of happy people than a ship for of sour, get-of-my-lawn types.

I am sure that Celebrity wishes to appeal to the 'younger' crowd, as many of us more senior members of the community see the constant eroding of the cruise experience. New cruisers have no past experiences to compare their cruise to.

On our first cruises, we were greeted by a steward as soon as we boarded were and shown to our cabin, Happy Days!

I agree with your sentiment, but i really think the "everyone is replaceable" adage rings true here. Even if every loyal customer left the brand the ships would be full of new customers who haven't experienced the hayday of sailing (like me).

I don't mind paying more for a suite to get the service I want or paying more for a meal at a specialty restaurant. So I do and that's my choice, maybe I'm contributing to the downfall of the product?

And there are hoards of people willing to buy our cabin if we don't. So it's not always easy to teach a company a lesson by leaving, but it does make you feel better about how your vacation money is spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with this statement.

Yes I do believe that if one is not happy then they should vote with their wallet and move on. Life is toos short to not be happy. I for one like what Celebrity is offering. I like having the option of the speciatly restaurants. I do not like the MDR. The evening entertainment is just fine in my book. I like the onboard atmosphere. I am very happy that X has decided to upgrade their suite experience. So it's all good in my book.

I have been cruising since 1986 and IMHO the cruise product has only improved. The so called good ole days was not as good as some want others to think. Limited dining options. Tiny cabins and entertainment that was laughable. All of that at a price much higher than what we pay today.

So while some may not like it, there will be others to take their place. There are cruise lines that I will no longer cruise but there are others who do and have taken my place so life goes on.

Edited by cruisingator2

while I do not disagree with the general gist and tone, I think that in the end it will not matter who or how many leave.

there is a new generation of cruisers.. the ones that want rock bottom pricing and whose sophistication level is greatly diminished. they WANT all the things you and I wish would go away. they could care less about exquisite cuisine served on white table cloths with super attentive wait staff.

they want the buffet with its mass produced dumbed down bland food. Same with the MDR.. they have kids who only eat deep fried chicken fingers and adults who only want gluten free options.

I gotta tell ya, I have my first Celebrity cruise in about a month, and I am actually starting to worry that it will be a wasted effort.

I am sure that Celebrity wishes to appeal to the 'younger' crowd, as many of us more senior members of the community see the constant eroding of the cruise experience. New cruisers have no past experiences to compare their cruise to.

On our first cruises, we were greeted by a steward as soon as we boarded were and shown to our cabin, Happy Days!

I also think that this has a lot to do with it. There are so many new cruisers who have no idea what they are missing. Yes, there are certainly some benefits to the new model of cruising. It is nice to be able to go to a Specialty restaurant if you desire. At the same time, I for one think that model has definitely caused a downgrading of the MDR food and service from what it once was. Not bad by any means, but not as good as prior. Entertainment? I beg to differ with the poster who said it used to be pretty awful (don't recall the exact words). I think overall with fewer ships sailing the cruise lines had a much better chance of getting quality entertainment for their sailings. As to room sizes? Depending on the ship they were often larger in the older ships (not necessarily speaking about Celebrity, and agreed they generally were without as many nice amenities).

I also get a bit tired of people thinking we are just moldy, boring, old curmudgeons when we compare the olden days of cruising to now. Of course we hate the new ways - we are ready to be put out to pasture - we can't accept change, etc., etc. A common discriminatory accusation against people who happen to be older - rampant in the workplace and often displayed on these boards - sometimes true and most often not. Yes, sometimes the glasses tend to be a bit rose colored as they are tinted by happy memories, but I was there - I KNOW how it used to be. I am older but I am not senile - I still have my faculties and my memories.

Overall, Celebrity is still a great cruise line and I look forward very much to my upcoming cruises on her. Even if I wanted to move to lines that were more reminiscent of the olden days like Azamara I simply cannot afford to do so. For the money, I will continue to enjoy Celebrity and while I long for certain things from the olden days, I will bring a positive attitude and 'look on the good side' perspective to my sailings and be happy I am in a position to enjoy the wonderful trips:D

Everything is relative. Have been cruising since 1983. Yes things have changed, but some things are better,some worse. Cabins are way more comfortable, entertainment more varied, drinks way more expensive, excellent food available but at an extra charge, traditional dining is dead although still offered. Most of all the price of the basic cruise fare has gone down even before you factor in inflation. I've sailed upscale lines that very closely approximate the cruise of 30 yrs ago, they are wonderful but cost at least twice the price of an X cruise.

So tell me. What are we complaining about?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

The problem that people have is perception of how or what iit really was. Everyone remembers the good old days. Question is was it really that good or great? People will comment about how they don't built cars like they use to. I am glad that they don't. I had the opportunity to drive a car like the one that I had I in the good old days. A 1963 Corvette. I always dreamed of buying another. Seached and dreamed and decided to take the plunge. Took one for a rest drive and walked away. Told my wife that I wish that I wouldn't have ruined my fond memories by driving that car. It wasn't as great as I always remembered it to be. On our first cruise 14 years ago we couldn't understand why so many people were complaining about everything. Everyhting was new to us and for us it was fantastic. I am sure that those people also thought that the cruising experience was going south and not what they use to experience. In the last 14 years I know that my taste in food has also changed. I no longer find onion rings, pizza, deep fried mushrooms, French fries, hot dogs or hamburgers to be that appealing. Has that been caused by the decrease in quality? Same with Disney World. Years ago that was our favorite destination and we would try to go there as much as possbile but it no longer appeals to us becasue too much has changed and it is not how we remember it to be, but it must be doing something right as it attracts record crowds. Everything changes and for the most part for the better.

Johnny Heedless: Here's my viewpoint.... The faster the all the curmudgeons who complain about the food quality' date=' the loudness of the music, the attire on formal night, and really silly things the lack of flowers or ice water in their cabins move on to other lines, the better. I rather sail with a ship full of happy people than a ship for of sour, get-of-my-lawn types. [/quote']

Appreciate the interesting range of varied thoughts, comments and ideas expressed on this thread. The above comments from our northern "neighbor" from Michigan probably comes closest to my thinking. As noted in the live/blog below, we just got off of the Solstice last month. It was our second Celebrity sailing after doing the Solstice in the Med in June 2011. Were there a few little things where I could see some "slippage" by Celebrity? Yes. BUT, overall, we had an excellent trip. In a few ways, the food, at certain times, could have been a little better for some aspects of quality and service. But, nothing was "bad" or terrible. We did not suffer or put up with third-world conditions.

And for "value", the competitive marketplace has made Celebrity an excellent pricing level for what we got based on this trip and with the six other couples from Central Ohio traveling with us. Nobody seems to complain too much if they purchased at the right time and got nice "extras" such as the 1-2-3-Go free drinks. Lots of factors for "value" and what works, OVERALL, to make a good trip. For upcoming periods, the Celebrity pricing seems to have moved higher. Lots of "economic realities" might be figuring in those developments.

During a tour at an old, historic estate in southern England, the guide wisely noted that the "good old days" were not really that grand. People lived to maybe the 40's in age and there were lots of challenges and suffering back then. People's memories do tend to be shifting and selective. I like to "look forward" and not get too focused in focusing back to the "good old days". It's a changing and evolving world. Nothing stands still and/or stays "just the same".

Johnny Heedless is rather "blunt", but there is some truth in elements for what he says. Businesses cannot just focus on past customers. They need to build and move towards future, new audiences of customers. The challenge is to avoid making your existing business "base" too unhappy with the changes and shifts for the future.

Check out these below postings for more info/background on this nicely-designed ship, its entertainment, food options, port visits, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 41,992 views for this fun posting.

Edited by TLCOhio

We recently returned from our first Celebrity cruise after 10 cruises previously on a variety of other lines. We were really excited to give Celebrity a try as our "perception" was that it was considered by most to be a premium experience compared to the most of the other mass lines and probably the closest we were going to get to sailing on a true luxury ship. We actually booked very late and close to the sailing date as we hadn't planned on sailing this spring, but the Midwestern winter got to us. Consequently, we booked a oceanview cabin (we ALWAYS book balcony's) because it was all that was still available on the Summit, and as we later found out, at a hugely steeper price than those who had prepared and booked their Concierge and Aqua cabins months earlier. That was lesson number one.

The days leading up to our cruise saw the Eastern US get pounded by weather that totally disrupted air travel across much of the country, leading to many travelers not being able to make connections to get to a previously sold out ship as it was sailing out of San Juan. I sympathetically viewed this as an opportunity to possibly see if some of the cabins sailing now vacant would be a balcony, that we originally had hoped to book anyway. To make a long story short, over the first 3 days of the cruise, where it was absolutely noticeable that a significant number of passengers HAD NOT made it to San Juan, I decided to inquire about open cabin or upgrade possibilities. For 3 days I received numerous responses, indifferent looks, and general malaise from the guest relations staff. On the 3rd day of a 7 day cruise I was "offered" a concierge class "upgrade" for $250. We were told that there were others who would take this cabin if we didn't want it.

We decided to take it, but at a final total price that we could have booked a suite for on the same cruise the following year. I know it was our decision to make, and we did it for the relaxation we get of having our own balcony to enjoy in the mornings and evenings, but my experience with the staff at the Guest Relations desk will probably taint my Celebrity opinion forever. Upon departure, I wrote 3 pages of my experience on our comment card ( I even had to get a stapler from Guest Relations), WITH my email address and phone number fully realizing I will never hear a word from Celebrity. All in all, my original perception of Celebrity as being a premiere line was debunked, and I can't say that I would categorize them any differently than I would Princess or Royal. Just my 10 cents.

Oh, and lastly, my understanding is there were well over 100 passengers who were not able to make it to San Juan to what for 2 days, Celebrity was calling a completely full ship....

Edited by clojacks

It is with great interest and objectivity that I have digested the many opinions concerning objectionable changes to the Celebrity product.

My wife and I cruise between two and three times per year. We fancy voyages of ten days or longer. We enjoy balcony staterooms but used to book oceanviews in the days when balconies simply did not exist given when the vessel was constructed.

Our first Celebrity cruise aboard Galaxy hooked us on the brand. While not fogey-ish, we savor attentive service, fine dining and reasonable sophistication. We look forward to our before dinner cocktail in a well-appointed, intimate lounge. Out of respect for ourselves and our fellow passengers we honor the dress code. After all, everyone was timely informed of it so why not play by the few rules of the vessel?

I am not going to debate cuisine or entertainment at length. My comments in those areas will be a simple concurrence with those who opine that both food (taste and presentation) and evening showtimes have gone downhill.

It is elementary. Celebrity ships routinely sail at or near capacity. So long as this profitable trend continues it is, I assert, unrealistic to believe that Michael Bayley and his executive washroom colleagues will upgrade cruise components that re included in the baseline fare.

This is the corporate mentality that gave birth to the extra fee so-called "specialty" restaurants. Dining used to be the main event; with theme nights featuring both atmospheric and culinary delights from around the world. Minus the existing Baked Alaska parades, I do not think the main dining rooms will ever again be anything more than gloried mess halls.

The buffets? Please, don't get me started! These fertile planting grounds for noro and crude behavior saw their best days many years ago.

So to the theme of my posting. Taking your business elsewhere is the only way - I say again the ONLY way - to get Mr. Bayley and his "team" to revisit the changing Celebrity product. When those pretty white ships sail away with a plethora of empty cabins, only them will he blow the bugle and attempt to find out what errors were made that resulted in customers spending their money elsewhere. If we keep going back for more we are validating the very changes we seem to dislike. Those comment cards are traditional - the only thing that counts is the "take."

Let me close by assuring those who read my essay that I do not live in the past. I fully understand that the days of family-owned cruise lines (Home Lines, Sitmar, et al.) are in Davy Jones' Locker. Today's cruises are controlled by bean counting and answering to stockholders; some of whom demand profits while they, simultaneously, vilify the lack luster product sailing under the guise of "modern luxury."

We have two Celebrity voyages booked for this year. The first we will board in early May. The second is booked for November 1. If the May trip turns out bad we fully intend to spend our money elsewhere.

I will pay the cost of a cruise. But I want what I want. And if Mr. Bayley's product no longer lives up to expectations - perhaps one of Mr. Arison's ships will.

You see, I still believe that we consumers control the marketplace. But only if we realize that validating a substandard product with repeat business is harpooning ourselves in the foot.

Just my opinion. I respect all others and wish us all Bon Voyage.

I dont really understand.

message boards are full of complaints. Im sure if you go to NCL, Carnival, etc..there will be plenty of complaints as well. So while you might think the quality of Celebrity is declining (i dont agree)...i bet if you tried Carnival, youd come running back to Celebrity. I think Mr. Bayley has done a very good job so far.

Celebrity gives you ALOT of value for the price you pay to get onboard. from an inside cabin to a suite. At the end of the day, they need to make money. This is not a non profit organization. Compare Celebrity's pricing with other lines..and youll see the value. All the cruise lines are going to the same model Celebrity imploys..which is fill the ship to capacity offering good pricing and increase onboard spend. Cruising is changing..no doubt. some people will like it, some wont. Most people I know would rather eat in a more intimate setting onboard, rather in a monstrous MDR.

It sounds to me like NJ Fred is sour on cruising in general. Perhaps it is time to spend those vacation dollars elsewhere.

Don't like specialty restaurants?....try to find another cruise line that does not have them. Buffets saw their best days years ago?.....what is different about them now, other than the fact that those on the S class ships have eliminated the need to stand on an assembly line in order to get food. Noro is nothing new, the press coverage however is. Are the ships dirtier now than in the past?

Don't like the entertainment times??.....:confused: I'm at a loss for that one.

If you really expect Mr. Arison's ships to provide a cruise from yesteryear, by all means try one out, but I think that you would be happier just giving up on cruising & trying another form of vacation.

It sounds to me like NJ Fred is sour on cruising in general. Perhaps it is time to spend those vacation dollars elsewhere.

Don't like specialty restaurants?....try to find another cruise line that does not have them. Buffets saw their best days years ago?.....what is different about them now, other than the fact that those on the S class ships have eliminated the need to stand on an assembly line in order to get food. Noro is nothing new, the press coverage however is. Are the ships dirtier now than in the past?

Don't like the entertainment times??.....:confused: I'm at a loss for that one.

If you really expect Mr. Arison's ships to provide a cruise from yesteryear, by all means try one out, but I think that you would be happier just giving up on cruising & trying another form of vacation.

agree

while I do not disagree with the general gist and tone, I think that in the end it will not matter who or how many leave.

there is a new generation of cruisers.. the ones that want rock bottom pricing and whose sophistication level is greatly diminished. they WANT all the things you and I wish would go away. they could care less about exquisite cuisine served on white table cloths with super attentive wait staff.

they want the buffet with its mass produced dumbed down bland food. Same with the MDR.. they have kids who only eat deep fried chicken fingers and adults who only want gluten free options.

I gotta tell ya, I have my first Celebrity cruise in about a month, and I am actually starting to worry that it will be a wasted effort.

Don't be worried about your upcoming cruise. Celebrity is a great product. There have been a lot of exaggerated generalizations on here, especially about the Carnivalization of Celebrity, IMHO. Every cruise line has changed and evolved over the years. Even a cruise line like Crystal, where I was escorted to my cabin by crew on most of my cruises, until the last one where they didn't do it any longer and guess what it didn't change my cruise experience. I've always found good food on Celebrity at the buffets for breakfast and lunch and have never sent back an entree in the MDR (has it changed over the years, yes it has just like every other cruise line). There has been a lot of talk about catering to 30-somethings, I really don't see that. I see that Celebrity is trying to accomodate all their customers with a wide variety of services and activities, in an effort to attrack new customers, not just 30-somethings. With regard to the dress code, yes some don't abide by it, but does it really hinder what another's experience is, no. I will still dress up for formal night, but if the person next to me prefers to wear a black skirt and black top, it won't bother me, because I'm sure they don't dress for me and I certainly don't dress for them. We want cruises at a cheaper and cheaper cost, but don't understand that something has to give in order to get those prices. I'm paying less now than what I paid when I first started cruising and I certainly understand if there are some changes.

Let's face it, the silent generation (those between 70 and 90), are not going to be around cruising in the next 10, 20 or 30 years and Celebrity, in order to stay in business, has to attrack more baby boomers and the generation X'ers and Y'ers to make up for those cruisers who will eventually stop cruising. It doesn't mean that they are going to be serving dumbed food in the buffet or chicken fingers in the MDR, it just means that they will continue to evolve with the times.

I think a cruise is what we make of it. There are always going to be those that want to live in the past (the way it use to be) and will complain and then there are those that realize that not everything on a cruise will be 100% to their liking, but will enjoy it because they love the cruising experience and there is more to like than there is to dislike.

The OP is correct about one thing, if you don't like a product, don't buy it, but I feel that there will always be someone new to cruising who can take their place.

BTW, the things the OP complained about Celebrity, I'm sure if you go on every other cruise line's threads, you will see the same complaints about them as well.

Edited by NLH Arizona

But nobody has complained that there isn't a librarian any more, and that the Bridge Directors seem to have disappeared, and that there isn't always a priest/rabbi/preacher of each faith on board. And that the line used to provide free shuttles from the port area to town. Someone mentioned the lack of midnight buffet (where almost nobody ate much).

I must admit that I did once send back a plate in the MDR. It was veal steak, and like shoe leather. Two others at the table had the same reaction. Somehow, we decided that it was more logical to blame it on the vendor than the chef, the captain, or the folks in Miami. And yes, I do think the food on Azamara and Oceania was better. But then, food in the more expensive restaurants is often better than in the lower price chains, too.

Haven't been on that many lines, but overall think that Celebrity offers very good value. Our upcoming TransAltlantic, with balcony, costs just a tad more than an upcoming week in a motel in Duluth MN, no balcony and no water view-and no food included. Hard to beat.

Let's face it, the silent generation (those between 70 and 90), are not going to be around cruising in the next 10, 20 or 30 years and Celebrity, in order to stay in business, has to attrack more baby boomers and the generation X'ers and Y'ers to make up for those cruisers who will eventually stop cruising. It doesn't mean that they are going to be serving dumbed food in the buffet or chicken fingers in the MDR, it just means that they will continue to evolve with the times. I think a cruise is what we make of it. There are always going to be those that want to live in the past (the way it use to be) and will complain and then there are those that realize that not everything on a cruise will be 100% to their liking, but will enjoy it because they love the cruising experience and there is more to like than there is to dislike. The OP is correct about one thing, if you don't like a product, don't buy it, but I feel that there will always be someone new to cruising who can take their place. BTW, the things the OP complained about Celebrity, I'm sure if you go on every other cruise line's threads, you will see the same complaints about them as well.

Dick in Falls Church: But nobody has complained that there isn't a librarian any more' date=' and that the Bridge Directors seem to have disappeared, and that there isn't always a priest/rabbi/preacher of each faith on board. And that the line used to provide free shuttles from the port area to town. Someone mentioned the lack of midnight buffet (where almost nobody ate much). I must admit that I did once send back a plate in the MDR. It was veal steak, and like shoe leather. Two others at the table had the same reaction. Somehow, we decided that it was more logical to blame it on the vendor than the chef, the captain, or the folks in Miami. And yes, I do think the food on Azamara and Oceania was better. But then, [b']food in the more expensive restaurants is often better than in the lower price chains, too. [/b] Haven't been on that many lines, but overall think that Celebrity offers very good value. Our upcoming TransAltlantic, with balcony, costs just a tad more than an upcoming week in a motel in Duluth MN, no balcony and no water view-and no food included. Hard to beat.

rich sea: It sounds to me like NJ Fred is sour on cruising in general. Perhaps it is time to spend those vacation dollars elsewhere. Don't like specialty restaurants?....try to find another cruise line that does not have them. Buffets saw their best days years ago?.....what is different about them now' date=' other than the fact that those on the S class ships have eliminated the need to stand on an assembly line in order to get food. Noro is nothing new, the press coverage however is. Are the ships dirtier now than in the past? Don't like the entertainment times??..... I'm at a loss for that one. If you really expect Mr. Arison's ships to provide a cruise from yesteryear, by all means try one out, but I think that you would be happier just giving up on cruising & trying another form of vacation. [/quote']

Appreciate the above and added other important "perspectives" to look at the overall realities in a changing world. Lots of good, smart people on these CC Boards.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 164,231 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Johnny Heedless is rather "blunt", but there is some truth in elements for what he says. Businesses cannot just focus on past customers. They need to build and move towards future, new audiences of customers. The challenge is to avoid making your existing business "base" too unhappy with the changes and shifts for the future.

I realize I'm rather blunt. But, the constant complaining about by very vocal minority of miserable curmudgeons on this board (and to a much lesser degree onboard) is really tiresome -- REALLY tiresome.

We get it; cruising is no longer as glamorous as it was when Captain Stubbing and Julie McCoy were running the show. We get it; the food sucks relative to your distant glory days. We get it; you don't like modern/loud music, poorly-dressed passengers, or rambunctious children.

So, why the heck are these vocal curmudgeons still cruising on the large, mainstream cruise lines? The food and service are never going to return to the levels of their glory days. The loud/modern music, poorly-dressed passengers, and rambunctious children are here to stay.

Yet, at the same time, their vision of cruising is readily available. Seabourn, Azamara, Silversea, and many others offer the EXACT experience the vocal curmudgeons so fondly remember.

Why aren't they sailing on those lines instead of making of vast majority who really like Celebrity's product so freakin' miserable?</rhetorical>

The problem that people have is perception of how or what iit really was.

Everyone remembers the good old days. Question is was it really that good or great?

People will comment about how they don't built cars like they use to. I am glad that they don't. I had the opportunity to drive a car like the one that I had I in the good old days. A 1963 Corvette. I always dreamed of buying another. Seached and dreamed and decided to take the plunge. Took one for a rest drive and walked away. Told my wife that I wish that I wouldn't have ruined my fond memories by driving that car. It wasn't as great as I always remembered it to be.

On our first cruise 14 years ago we couldn't understand why so many people were complaining about everything. Everyhting was new to us and for us it was fantastic. I am sure that those people also thought that the cruising experience was going south and not what they use to experience.

In the last 14 years I know that my taste in food has also changed. I no longer find onion rings, pizza, deep fried mushrooms, French fries, hot dogs or hamburgers to be that appealing. Has that been caused by the decrease in quality?

Same with Disney World. Years ago that was our favorite destination and we would try to go there as much as possbile but it no longer appeals to us becasue too much has changed and it is not how we remember it to be, but it must be doing something right as it attracts record crowds.

Everything changes and for the most part for the better.

I agree. We didn't have a Corvette, we had a CORVAIR!! Unsafe at any speed. I'm glad those good old days are gone!! Lol! But, truthfully, things do always "glow" in our memories and first time, youthful experiences are particularly susceptible to that.