NCL cancel future calls to Tunisia

isdoo

The government of Tunisia refused to allow Israeli nationals the right to disembark Norwegian Jade in the Port of La Goulette, Tunis on Sunday, March 9, 2014. In response to this discriminatory act, Norwegian Cruise Line announced today that it has cancelled all remaining calls to Tunisia and will not return.

“We want to send a strong message to Tunisia and ports around the world that we will not tolerate such random acts of discrimination against our guests,” said Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian Cruise Line’s CEO. “We are outraged by this act and the fact that we were not notified in advance of this practice. We apologize sincerely to our guests who were affected and want them to know that we have taken the appropriate action in response.”

The government of Tunisia refused to allow Israeli nationals the right to disembark Norwegian Jade in the Port of La Goulette, Tunis on Sunday, March 9, 2014. In response to this discriminatory act, Norwegian Cruise Line announced today that it has cancelled all remaining calls to Tunisia and will not return.

“We want to send a strong message to Tunisia and ports around the world that we will not tolerate such random acts of discrimination against our guests,” said Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian Cruise Line’s CEO. “We are outraged by this act and the fact that we were not notified in advance of this practice. We apologize sincerely to our guests who were affected and want them to know that we have taken the appropriate action in response.”

I must admit to being in agreement with this policy. Much of the Arab World refuses to accept that Israel exists. In some countries maps are disfigured to eliminate Israel.

I lived in Saudi Arabia for five years during the 80s and came to know a lot of great many Muslim people. Like people anywhere, the basically wanted to work, raise their families and live normal lives. Yet, at least on the surface, Israel was simply unacceptable to them.

If you tried to reenter Saudi Arabia with an Israeli stamp in your passport, you would fail. There was a case of a Saudia flight that had mechanical difficulties and had to land for emergency in Israel. Every Arab had their passports stamped by Israel, who otherwise insured their safety and helped them on their way. When the flight returned to Saudi Arabia, everyone, even the native Saudis were not allowed in their own country. All had to leave and get new passports outside the country.

In effect, it is a form of boycott that has failed. The political differences are huge, which I won't address, since this is not the right forum. I will say that having been to Israel and finding the country to be an exceptional place with wonderful people. Of course, there are wonderful people in the other Middle East countries.

It is sad that this port is denied to all of us now. This port offered much history for the tourist. However, I understand NCL's decision. Perhaps, one day this problem will no longer exist. Probably not in my lifetime.

We support NCL's position.

NCL's Kevin Sheehan says "We have taken the appropriate action in response"

(WE will be on the Jade in April.)

Does that mean we get another sea day or another port?

In the another thread somebody mentioned a replacing port call in Palma.

Thank You.

Do you have a link to that thread. Please.

This is the letter I got for our March 22 Jade Sailing

IMPORTANT:

ITINERARY CHANGE INFORMATION

Due to the fact that the Tunisian Government refused to allow Israeli nationals the right to disembark Norwegian Jade in the

Port of Tunisia last Sunday, Norwegian Cruise Line has decided to cancel all remaining calls to Tunisia and will not return.

Norwegian Cruise Line employs more than 90 different nationalities and welcomes people of all nationalities to sail aboard our

vessels. The Company does not condone or tolerate discrimination of any type and with these cancellations hopes to send a

message to those who do that such acts are completely unacceptable.

Please be advised that the itinerary has been modified for the March 22, 2014 and April 12, 2014 sailings. Norwegian Jade

will now call in Palma de Mallorca, Spain instead of Carthage, Tunisia. The call to Cagliari, Italy will move to Sunday.

Updated itineraries will be reflected on NCL.com beginning March 12, 2014.

Good for NCL! I'm pleased with their position.

However...on my November cruise we're showing a sea day instead of Palma.

It doesn't change my pleasure in their position, but it would have been really, really great to hit Palma :(

I agree with their position, but the cruise I was looking at for December now has another sea day :( I am hoping that this is just a temporary placeholder while they scramble to redo itineraries.

What about morroco? That would be a great replacement.

I do feel sorry for the tour operators, who may be out of business if other lines follow suit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Bravo NCL for supporting your guests I knew there was a good reason I liked you so much

I hope other companies do the same ..hint hint HAL

Now if we could boycott Russian ports because of what is happening in Ukraine

Tourist dollars are very important ...maybe that will change the agression going on in the world if it hits the economy or pocket ..bravo bravo NCL?..i will choose you again ...soon I hope

Official announcement made for Future Cruises on the Jade

IMPORTANT:

Due to the fact that the Tunisian Government refused to allow Israeli nationals the right to disembark Norwegian Jade in the

Port of Tunisia last Sunday, Norwegian Cruise Line has decided to cancel all remaining calls to Tunisia and will not return.

Norwegian Cruise Line employs more than 90 different nationalities and welcomes people of all nationalities to sail aboard

our vessels. The Company does not condone or tolerate discrimination of any type and with these cancellations hopes to

send a message to those who do that such acts are completely unacceptable.

Please be advised that the itinerary has changed for sailings from November 1, 2014 through March 28, 2015. Norwegian

Jade will now spend an extra day at sea instead of calling Carthage, Tunisia.

Updated itineraries will be reflected on NCL.com beginning March 12, 2014. Should you have any questions, please call us

at (800) 327-7030 Monday to Friday 8 am to midnight ET or Saturday and Sunday 9 am to 9 pm ET and a Norwegian Cruise

Line representative will be happy to assist you.

So it looks like those this summer may have a port call but after November 1st they will just have a Sea Day.

NCL's Kevin Sheehan says "We have taken the appropriate action in response"

(WE will be on the Jade in April.)

Does that mean we get another sea day or another port?

One of our fellow cruisers said we'll go to Palma. I've not gotten any notification but My NCL shows another sea day, not Palma. I understand the situation but am very disappointed to miss the reason we booked this cruise.

Edited by HokiePoq

Official announcement made for Future Cruises on the Jade

IMPORTANT:

Norwegian Cruise Line employs more than 90 different nationalities and welcomes people of all nationalities to sail aboard

our vessels. The Company does not condone or tolerate discrimination of any type and with these cancellations hopes to

send a message to those who do that such acts are completely unacceptable.

Please be advised that the itinerary has changed for sailings from November 1, 2014 through March 28, 2015. Norwegian

Jade will now spend an extra day at sea instead of calling Carthage, Tunisia.

Updated itineraries will be reflected on NCL.com beginning March 12, 2014. Should you have any questions, please call us

at (800) 327-7030 Monday to Friday 8 am to midnight ET or Saturday and Sunday 9 am to 9 pm ET and a Norwegian Cruise

Line representative will be happy to assist you.

So it looks like those this summer may have a port call but after November 1st they will just have a Sea Day.

Jade has different itineraries during the summer. The above itinerary is for the winter (Nov - March) season.

P.S. I support NCL's decision, although a bit disappointed for not being able to visit Tunisia.

Edited by bluesea777

I agree with NCL.... however, our stop in Tunisia was replaced with another day at sea. So now in 11 days 3 are at sea....might have to rethink this cruise if they don't replace it with a port before the cancellation date.