Changes to the Next Cruise Program

Just called again and was told basically the same thing (kinda). This C and A gentleman said they are still working it out but "for now" the unofficial rule is that they will allow 1 change in ship and sail date without penalty.

Thanks for checking! I can live with that as we would only be changing it once anyhow!

Thanks again for checking for us.:)

Morning Bob. Congratulations on becoming a member of the 30,000 club.

I know that you are one of the lifelines here, along with Patty (cruisenfever), and wanted to thank you personally for all that you do, so patiently, for so many.:)

So, back to the subject at hand!!

Rick

Consistency is not a strongpoint with RCI service reps.

We called yesterday regarding adding OBC (as a gift to ourselves) to our onboard account prior to sailing and was told the only way is to pay cash to the account when onboard.

You can buy OBC, call this number - 01932 834 243

I have just checked this with RCCL UK :D

I know that you are one of the lifelines here, along with Patty (cruisenfever), and wanted to thank you personally for all that you do, so patiently, for so many.:)

Rick

Thanks for the kind words Rick. I know you don't post that much anymore, but when you do, I very much enjoy reading them.

Hate to see the OBC for open booking reduced to almost worthless. We always did the open booking and then selected dates after we got home and had time to research our next destination. Would always introduce friends to cruising and have them book the same cruise.

Started building up our loyalty points with other lines, so those we encourage to cruise with us may be a loss to Royal as we shop around. We only hope they reconsider after seeing what effect it may have.

Rick

Hi Rick, you can blame all the cut backs on us-seems like as soon as we reach another level everything changes... lol. Just got an email from Ron and Barbara and they are going to join us on the Navigator 11/30 & 12/07. Would love to have you join us. We have the party balcony, 7688!

Carla

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

They reserve the right to remove most of the OBC if you change ship and sail date. However, Ellen has called C&A about this and their story (today) is that they will only remove the OBC if you change more than a couple of times. Since this is a brand new stipulation, we really don't know how they will actually implement it.

will keep a close watch on the board.

Hate to see the OBC for open booking reduced to almost worthless. We always did the open booking and then selected dates after we got home and had time to research our next destination. Would always introduce friends to cruising and have them book the same cruise.

Started building up our loyalty points with other lines, so those we encourage to cruise with us may be a loss to Royal as we shop around. We only hope they reconsider after seeing what effect it may have.

You likely represent a growing population of RCI cruisers.

Apparently RCI is adopting the airline industry business model - make you best customers get less value than new customers. We all know how well the airline business does...UGH!

We'll finally hit Platinum on day 2 of our next cruise, which opens up some benefits on Celebrity too. Like you, we have always purchased the open booking certificates onboard every cruise for the "next one".

This past week we did NOT do so...and are still debating about doing it on our next cruise coming up in May. Since many cruisers book their cruise well in advance, committing to a specific cruise while onboard another simply carries too much risk (for change)...therefore, this new policy also virtually neuters the value of Next Cruise Certificate for many people.

• 2 weeks later...

I just learned that they neutered the NextCruise program. I'm shaking my head here. I thought they were finally getting a clue when they started allowing us to take wine on board, our alcohol bills were the highest they've ever been last cruise since the "pump had been primed" with us drinking our own wine, it got us into drinking way more.

I have speculated elsewhere that they are seeking new cruisers necause that helps them maximize their onboard upsells -- since my friends who are highly cruised are often less likely to drop big $$ on photos, logo items, drink packages, specialty restaurants, shore excursions, bingo, etc. -- but surely the financial muckety-mucks realize that the loyal return customers will keep the ships full, and sing the praises of cruising to their friends and family (assuming there are praises to sing)... they've got a LOT of berths to fill, you'd think they want to keep us coming back...

Anyone who has ever run a business knows that it's 10 times tougher to get a new customer than to retain an existing one. But they really don't seem to get that at all.

Us regular customers simply throw money at RC with practically zero effort on their part. We just keep showing up and saying "here, take more of my money please". These certificates were absolute no-brainers, as your customer was committed to spending money with you in the future. A guaranteed future sale.

And now, many of us will never get another one again. Leaving us as complete free agents, shopping the best deals as we find them.

You have to work really hard to drive a loyal customer to the competition, but Royal oddly seems to be doing that. Changes to the NextCruise, the savings certificates, the stupid new dining program that promises to infect the entire line one day, we're actually researching Carnival and Princess again, something we haven't done for years.

Well I think that answers my question!

We'll be on Allure this October and are considering one of the Quantum class ships for October '16, which I'm sure won't be available for booking yet.

But if we book another (specific) cruise while onboard in order to move it to Quantum when bookings open, we'll lose most of the OBC, correct?

They reserve the right to remove most of the OBC if you change ship and sail date. However, Ellen has called C&A about this and their story (today) is that they will only remove the OBC if you change more than a couple of times. Since this is a brand new stipulation, we really don't know how they will actually implement it.

I have an Oasis booking for November that I just made last week when I was on-board the Navigator. So far I have changed my cabin twice:o, then switched sailings and categories:o, then changed categories again.:o Aside from the fact that I'm spending entirely too much money and entirely too long on hold with C&A, it's been relatively painless. I still have the same booking number and OBC I got when I booked with the LA.

I have an Oasis booking for November that I just made last week when I was on-board the Navigator. So far I have changed my cabin twice:o, then switched sailings and categories:o, then changed categories again.:o Aside from the fact that I'm spending entirely too much money and entirely too long on hold with C&A, it's been relatively painless. I still have the same booking number and OBC I got when I booked with the LA.

That's good to know- unless you have an inside cabin where the OBC would be $25 regardless-