Sorry! Yet another thread about carrying wine aboard

CowPrincess

My friends and I are continuing along with our cruise planning (May to Alaska).

One of them has now suggested that a non-drinker in the group could carry aboard a bottle of wine for someone who does drink wine. Her thinking is 4 people are allowed 4 bottles of wine without corkage for the cabin.

I'm not too sure how I feel about this. In one way, it seems like doing that would cheat HAL out of corkage on a bottle of wine. In another way, I guess HAL is expecting a certain # of people to carry a bottle of wine aboard, so there's no harm, no foul, if the person carrying it doesn't actually DRINK it.

I think I know which way I'm swaying, but would really be interested in others' opinions. Do you think this is cheating or is it no harm, no foul?

Thanks in advance.

Go for it, Cow Princess.

Early on in the wine policy discussions, I had a Roll Call member from our upcoming TA offer to carry on a bottle for me. I don't believe in smuggling wine on board, but if someone isn't making use of their "one bottle per person" allotment, I have no probably having her take one on board for me.

Ironically, I had the same offers on roll calls when HAL announced the originally changed wine policy which limited wine to one per person.

I would have accepted the offers on that basis without a thought.

Now that it is permitted with corkage I am a happy camper and won't be asking anyone to do it for me. Now, if someone chooses to offer or insist - I risk insulting them if I refuse don't I ;):p

What a quandry! I suspect if a fellow cc'er insisted I would have no choice but to accept their generous offer :D

Seriously, I don't see an issue. Everyone is allowed one bottle. No one said they had to drink it - LOL:D

Hopefully our intrepid explorers from the recent Wine cruise post with their opinions.

Someone in your own group carrying on one bottle for you? I don't see an ethical problem with that. I would even extend it that I don't see a problem with one person doing that for another, even if they are only minimally acquainted.

It would be different if you were, say, paying a stranger half the saved corkage fee. But in your case there is no exchange other than friendship and good will. That's fine.

We were recently on a cruise and they had a free liquor tasting ... I don't drink so we asked if my husband could have mine ... no problem they said! I say it's the same thing ... go for it!

The policy is one bottle per adult over 21. It doesn't say that the adult has to drink it. I would imagine that having to chug your wine at check in would probably slow the line down.

The policy is one bottle per adult over 21. It doesn't say that the adult has to drink it. I would imagine that having to chug your wine at check in would probably slow the line down.

Exactly, as there is no 'requirement' that the adult be a wine drinker, there is no conundrum and you are breaking no rules.

My husband and I do not buy wine to take aboard so we are more than happy to take it aboard for friends. In fact, we are all signed up for our upcoming Panama cruise. ;)

We could have used a bunch of "wine mules" for our recent research project on the Noordam. :D We just figured it woud have been a little unseemly walking around the terminal, acting like ticket scalpers before a football game.

Tip of the hat to @AlexandNessa for the term "wine mules." I can't take credit for it.

Edited by POA1

We could have used a bunch of "wine mules" for our recent research project on the Noordam. :D We just figured it woud have been a little unseemly walking around the terminal, acting like ticket scalpers before a football game.

Tip of the hat to @AlexandNessa for the term "wine mules." I can't take credit for it.

Hee-hee. Perhaps CC should start a new forum for wine-mules, just under Roll Calls forum;)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised -- I thought there would be a few voices saying "oh that's cheating". That is pretty much what I was thinking, except for my DH. If DH was joining me, I'd expect him to bring aboard a bottle of wine for me. I'd feel no qualms about it at all. But having a friend bring aboard a bottle that I know she wasn't drinking? It still raises some qualms.

Having said all that, I'll let the other travellers in our group figure out what they are going to do, and keep my mouth shut about my opinion ;)

Personally, since I travel solo and pay a hefty single supplement, I feel I should be entitled to carry on TWO bottles!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised -- I thought there would be a few voices saying "oh that's cheating". That is pretty much what I was thinking, except for my DH. If DH was joining me, I'd expect him to bring aboard a bottle of wine for me. I'd feel no qualms about it at all. But having a friend bring aboard a bottle that I know she wasn't drinking? It still raises some qualms.

Having said all that, I'll let the other travellers in our group figure out what they are going to do, and keep my mouth shut about my opinion ;)

Where in HAL's policy does it say that the wine has to be enjoyed only by the person bring it on? It doesn't. You could be bringing it on as a gift for someone else, for that matter. I join the others in believing that it is not illegal, unethical, or against the intent of the policy to allow the two bottles of wine to be consumed as the holders see fit.

Personally, since I travel solo and pay a hefty single supplement, I feel I should be entitled to carry on TWO bottles!

Agreed. If I have to pay as if I were two people, I should get all the benefits that two people would get.