Elite Benefit Erosion

Roses2

We received a telephone call from a Princess Customer Service representative today (yes, Sunday) in response to an email we had sent a week or so ago concerning the Elite mini-bar set up benefit. He explained that the benefit had not changes since inception and was one per cabin, regardless of the number of Elites booked into the cabin and there was no plan to change the benefit

We had a very nice discussion and he had done his homework and knew we had a cruise scheduled in just a few weeks, our cabin category, etc.

He stated that they were concerned about possible erosion of some benefits due to misuse. He particularly mentioned misuse of the free laundry benefit by some Elites who apparently are sending the laundry of family and friends.

We believe the vast majority of Elites know and play by the rules, but it would not take many to jeopardize the benefits of the majority. We believe Princess has the best loyalty program of all the cruise lines and would hate to see erosion of the benefits because of a few.

The Princess representative even said that it might be appropriate to post the caution on Cruise Critic. So here it is.

P&J

Thanks so much for posting this! We are not yet Elite but we have sailed with friends who are Elite and they have frequently offered to send our laundry out with their laundry. We have always refused their offer because I can just imagine the logistical nightmare that would pose for the laundry staff. I also know of others who send all their stuff toward the end of the cruise so they go home with clean clothes. I'll just visit the dry cleaners when I return; however, looking forward to the service on long cruises so I don't have to pack as much.

One thing I do disagree with is the Shareholders benefits. I think if each person in the cabin has 100 shares of stock, they should both get the benefit.

We received a telephone call from a Princess Customer Service representative today (yes, Sunday) in response to an email we had sent a week or so ago concerning the Elite mini-bar set up benefit. He explained that the benefit had not changes since inception and was one per cabin, regardless of the number of Elites booked into the cabin and there was no plan to change the benefit

We had a very nice discussion and he had done his homework and knew we had a cruise scheduled in just a few weeks, our cabin category, etc.

He stated that they were concerned about possible erosion of some benefits due to misuse. He particularly mentioned misuse of the free laundry benefit by some Elites who apparently are sending the laundry of family and friends.

We believe the vast majority of Elites know and play by the rules, but it would not take many to jeopardize the benefits of the majority. We believe Princess has the best loyalty program of all the cruise lines and would hate to see erosion of the benefits because of a few.

The Princess representative even said that it might be appropriate to post the caution on Cruise Critic. So here it is.

P&J

We are not Elite and I am not sure we will ever make it....but hoping mightily! It would be a shame if the indiscretions of a few screwed it up for the many. The benefits on Princess appear to be the best in the industry and it would be sad if the actions of a few bad apples changed that.

I also would like to see shareholder benefits extended to all in cabin with the required shares.

I also would like to see shareholder benefits extended to all in cabin with the required shares.

If Princess did that then my guess is that they would just reduce the amount of the credit. I am just happy that we get what we get. Also, because they only extend it a year or so at a time it may go away entirely sometime in the future.

Actually it would very logical for Princess to place a large limit of it even if only a few are violating the rules. The limit could be high enough to not adversely affect those that are not cheating.

But an appropriate caution from The OP and Princess.

P&J

Thanks for posting this, we feel the same way.

First ive heard that my benefits are at risk.

Just read what CCL says about it:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

"The benefit is applicable on sailings through July 31, 2015 aboard the brands listed below...................

........... Reservations must be made by February 28, 2015."

"The benefit is applicable on sailings through July 31, 2015 aboard the brands listed below...................

I thought this was about elite benefits not shareholder

Sending out laundry for others is like the Seinfeld episode where Courtney Cox played Jerry's girlfriend but pretended to be his wife. We just made Elite. I'd hate to see an erosion of the benefit now that we've earned it. Perhaps Princess just needs to police the laundry situation better.

Im sure it isnt abused that much, i m sure a letter to the passenger reminding them not to abuse the laundary benefit would soon stop the very few cases of cheating. Why would princess want to upset all other elite passengers.

I thought this was about elite benefits not shareholder

It is, but, others had brought up the subject of the shareholder benefit and I was just commenting on their posts.

As far as cutting back on Elite benefits, I hope they don't as we hope to get there someday. We would like to see the benefits not get eroded because of abuse by a few that are Elites today.

Im sure it isnt abused that much, i m sure a letter to the passenger reminding them not to abuse the laundary benefit would soon stop the very few cases of cheating. Why would princess want to upset all other elite passengers.
I think the Royal T/A was an extreme example of the laundry abuse yet Princess did nothing to control it which resulted in massive delays, immense frustration and upset just about everyone on the ship, from the stewards to passengers paying to have their laundry done. The excuse given was that there were a lot of Elites onboard and that laundry couldn't be done while docked in Venice. Hogwash! I've taken quite a few cruises with as many or more Elites onboard.

What happened is that some people were sending 5-7 bags a day, every day and many were sending multiple bags a day. Granted, there was a delay due to Venice so that the first day, there was a delay of a couple of days to get your laundry back. By the end of the cruise, laundry was taking 7-8 days between sending it out and getting it back. People were literally screaming and crying for their clothing, even if it was wet, so they could pack. It was a disaster.

IMHO, Princess could have easily controlled this by limiting laundry to one bag a day per cabin. That's very reasonable even for people spending several days pre-cruise touring. You can fit 2-3 days' worth of clothing in a bag per couple. As a single, I often send 4-5 days' clothing in one bag. To me, the situation was controllable/fixable but Princess chose not to do anything which resulted in everyone mad, angry and upset.

Edited by Pam in CA

And, so far, Carnival Corp. has annually extended the dates for another year. This usually happens in late February when the Annual Report is issued.

The only time you get 2 bar set-ups is when 1 of you are an Elite and you're in a suite. Otherwise, you can have 4 Elites in a non-suite cabin and still only get 1 bar set-up. To me, it's reasonable. I especially like the fact that they let you exchange out the drinks for ones you prefer or even a coffee card. That's generous IMO.

The free laundry situation - as Elites, we limit what we send out, only sending a out a not-too-full bag about every 3rd day. I don't mind doing a load of wash if necessary and I don't want to over-use that benefit. I can only hope others will be considerate too.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

I thought I remember reading a month ago that the elite bathroom amenities were cut back. Just after that we were in a mini suite and did not get any.

The bathroom amenities have been eliminated entirely.

We asked on our last cruise and our steward's supervisor came to the cabin (to talk about something else) and told us he was recently told that was a change.

As a friendly reminder, as a class, the most experienced travelers on a given line are the least profitable on a per cruise basis (please do not quote how much YOU spend, I am talking in aggregate). They know the deals and how to avoid costs, plus they get perks that others pay for. They make it up by being a fairly reliable source of revenue for the line, even at a lower margin and having a lower acquisition cost.

That said, if the margin on a given class of cruisers drops, costs associated with that class will be cut. People abusing a benefit decrease the margin for elite customers. You do the math.

The bathroom amenities have been eliminated entirely.

We asked on our last cruise and our steward's supervisor came to the cabin (to talk about something else) and told us he was recently told that was a change.

Unless the upgraded amenities for Suite guests have also been eliminated, you should have gone to see your Captain's Circle Host or Hostess. The Captain's Circle web-site still says:

"Upgraded Bathroom Amenities

Regardless of your stateroom type, your stateroom bathroom will be stocked with the upgraded amenities normally reserved only for Suite guests."

Unless the upgraded amenities for Suite guests have also been eliminated, you should have gone to see your Captain's Circle Host or Hostess. The Captain's Circle web-site still says:

"Upgraded Bathroom Amenities

Regardless of your stateroom type, your stateroom bathroom will be stocked with the upgraded amenities normally reserved only for Suite guests."

Upgrade amenities for suites have not been eliminated, at least they were the same as always last month except for the loss of the Lotus Spa eucalyptus products in the small bottles.:(

Mike:)

Upgrade amenities for suites have not been eliminated, at least they were the same as always last month except for the loss of the Lotus Spa eucalyptus products in the small bottles.:(

Mike:)

Thanks Mike! That's nice to know. We are off on our first cruise as Elite in two weeks. Gonna get my shoes shined up real nice.

Edited by beg3yrs

As a friendly reminder, as a class, the most experienced travelers on a given line are the least profitable on a per cruise basis (please do not quote how much YOU spend, I am talking in aggregate).

It would be very helpful to see an authoritative citation to back up the above statement.

As a friendly reminder, as a class, the most experienced travelers on a given line are the least profitable on a per cruise basis (please do not quote how much YOU spend, I am talking in aggregate).

It would be very helpful to see an authoritative citation to back up the above statement.

I agree. We know how to maximize our OBC and minimize our spending. Our onboard account is often $10 to $25 dollars per day, and that includes the autotip and a bottle of wine most evenings.