Shorts in dining room

khut

IF by chance on the first night you don't get luggage in time to change for early seating dinner......will they allow you to eat in dining rooms?
You can rest easy because it's far less likely that your luggage will be delayed these days than it used to be thanks to the printed, and clear, luggage tags. The vast majority of luggage is delivered by shortly after Muster.

And on the Ruby's short itineraries this season, they've been allowing shorts in the main dining rooms on other nights as well. I did not see them on the formal night of our 5-day cruise, but I did see them on the "dress to impress" nights of our 4-day cruises.

I think the first night on most cruises is a bit more casual for the reason that in some cases luggage may be delayed. Some people try to dress a bit more....nice casual?....the upper end of casual I guess, just in case they don't have their luggage and also so they look nice in their "all aboard" photo.

Yes.

When we board, we choose to dress in something other than shorts. We DO however carry our swimsuits and a pair of shorts and casual top in our carryons. Just in case the bags would really get lost. For me...the thought of having to spend time shopping for a bathing suit while at port is... :eek: Those tiny bikinis seen in the isalnds...not so much for me!

I've read a couple anecdotals here of couples that didn't get their bags for the full 7 day cruise. And all the shopping they did at the first couple ports. Rare of course. But since reading that, we come prepared for the worst.;)

We also cross pack a few outfits when we travel on any vacation in case one bag goes missing. We have had that happen twice. But fortunaltely the second bag showed up at the hotel the next day. But we learned.

Edited by eandj

You can rest easy because it's far less likely that your luggage will be delayed these days than it used to be thanks to the printed, and clear, luggage tags. The vast majority of luggage is delivered by shortly after Muster.

Completely agree! We have always received out bags before or just after muster! Great service from PCL!:)

eandj Yes.

We also cross pack a few outfits when we travel on any vacation in case one bag goes missing. We have had that happen twice. But fortunaltely the second bag showed up at the hotel the next day. But we learned.

This has been a standard practice when we fly or cruise! Cross-Packing can save the trip!:D

Not always, Pam - on the March 1st Sapphire cruise (that we were both on), the whole procedure was chaos because of the rain - they just loaded everything through the forward hatch and then had to sort it out between forward and aft. I received my bag at 6pm; the last bag was delivered at 10pm.

I will admit that the rain was an unusual event!

PS - just in case of a bag showing up late (or not at all !!), I always carry a basic cruise wardrobe in my carry on - I look on it as the 'umbrella principle' - if you have it, you won't need it.

Edited by jollyjones

Completely agree! We have always received out bags before or just after muster! Great service from PCL!:)

This has been a standard practice when we fly or cruise! Cross-Packing can save the trip!:D

Let me get this straight - that's cross Packing, not cross dressing :o

Not always, Pam - on the March 1st Sapphire cruise (that we were both on), the whole procedure was chaos because of the rain - they just loaded everything through the forward hatch and then had to sort it out between forward and aft. I received my bag at 6pm; the last bag was delivered at 10pm.

I will admit that the rain was an unusual event!

Very true. We got there early and it seemed like the later luggage was delivered first. I didn't get mine until after Muster but well before dinner.

FYI, I always line my suitcase with lightweight trash bags, top, bottom and sides. You never know. I use the bags to pack dirty laundry to go home so when I'm unpacking, I just toss the bag into my laundry basket.

Oh I don't know. The idea of cross dressing sounds interesting. :rolleyes:

Last cruise on the Caribbean P we were among the first to board and one of our suitcases did not arrive until after 6 PM. So they don't always arrive early. I usually board wearing shorts and a tshirt in warm weather as I want the vacation to start as soon as I step on the ship. I have worn those to dinner in the MDR without anyone saying anything. Usually though I just wear my jeans and a shirt with collar.

We have always put half of our clothes in one suitcase and the other half in the other suitcase anytime we had to check luggage. That way at least half of our clothes will arrive if they lose only one piece of luggage.

Just off the Ruby and there were lots of folks wearing shorts the first night. Other nights, too. But, not as much as first night.

Dh wanted to wear them the first night and I told him no. But, when I saw how many others had shorts on, I felt kinda bad.

If you don't do the former, you could end up having to do the latter . . .

And ever since we've had the pre-printed labels, my bags have actually been delivered later than ever before. My last three cruises, all bags came well after muster and sailaway. This better improve because it was making me exceedingly grumpy as the afternoon wore on . . . I find it impossible to relax and enjoy the excitement of embarkation day while stressing out about when my bag is going to appear.

Very true. We got there early and it seemed like the later luggage was delivered first. I didn't get mine until after Muster but well before dinner.

FYI, I always line my suitcase with lightweight trash bags, top, bottom and sides. You never know. I use the bags to pack dirty laundry to go home so when I'm unpacking, I just toss the bag into my laundry basket.

I do the same thing with trash bags - they are great and really keep things dry. Been doing this ever since we had bags sit outside in a downpour before a cruise in San Diego.

Yes.

When we board, we choose to dress in something other than shorts. We DO however carry our swimsuits and a pair of shorts and casual top in our carryons. Just in case the bags would really get lost. For me...the thought of having to spend time shopping for a bathing suit while at port is... :eek: Those tiny bikinis seen in the isalnds...not so much for me!

I've read a couple anecdotals here of couples that didn't get their bags for the full 7 day cruise. And all the shopping they did at the first couple ports. Rare of course. But since reading that, we come prepared for the worst.;)

Love those tiny bikinis/thongs.:)

Spacebags also work well keeping your clothes dry and of course saving space.

You can always ask a steward to bring a vacuum cleaner to put your clean or dirty clothes back in the bag to go home.

I always pack all my clothes in space bags, they keep clothes safe from either rain or breakage of anything liquid in the case (altho' I double ziplok anything like that) - you don't need a vacuum, simply sit or lie on the bag after it's packed.

Yes.

As I was a passenger with no luggage for 22 days, you are very smart !

Edited by Cruise Junky

I get people can be quite sensitive about his, but on our our RC cruise in the Caribbean, we often wore shorts (with shoes) to the main dining room most nights and it was never a problem. It was with a nice t-shirt and such, after a shower after a long day, so we looked presentable, but it was still shorts.

We're on holiday, we're there to enjoy ourselves, I don't see why there should be so many restrictions as to clothing. But that's just me.