Everything.. ESCAPE (live 29 Oct 2015!)

I appreciate the effort on the dining guide, however, I am more confused than ever about how the UDP (which we received as a promo) will work with all the a la carte restaurants now. Can someone simplify this for me? And, please note, I am talking about the UDP, not the SDP.

*and let's keep it specific to the Escape as this is the subject matter on this thread.

Edited by tarps14

Can anyone explain the difference between the set price and the statement 'Escape A La Carte'. To me, it sounds like all of those are A La Carte on the Escape, and therefore the pricing per person doesn't apply. Any ideas?

Yes, that's correct. Those restaurants will have regular item pricing in the menus like a land-based restaurant on Norwegian Escape instead of the per-person cover charge as on other ships.

Yes, that's correct. Those restaurants will have regular item pricing in the menus like a land-based restaurant on Norwegian Escape instead of the per-person cover charge as on other ships.

The question is how will this actually affect those passengers who have the Ultimate Dining PKg. from the promo they had awhile back.

Harriet

The question is how will this actually affect those passengers who have the Ultimate Dining PKg. from the promo they had awhile back.

Harriet

That is a valid point, my wife and I were considering adding that package to our UBP, but I will wait until there is some clarification.

That is a valid point, my wife and I were considering adding that package to our UBP, but I will wait until there is some clarification.

Don't think you can get UDP anymore you are looking at current dining option SDP

from UK

A la carte priced restaurants and (Sushi, Raw Bar, The Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, The Cellars, The District and Ocean Blue Waterfront) are not included in the Speciality Dining Package. Carlo's Bake Shop items, Dolce Gelato, specialty items in the Asian restaurant, Chef’s Table, Bayamo, Ocean Blue restaurants, and beverages, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.), Jazz Brunch, Wine Lovers and Murder Mystery lunches, Entertainment based dining and 1- and 2-night cruises are excluded. No kids pricing available. Speciality Dining Packages are non transferable. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. There is no minimum to the number of meals that can be redeemed in a day, however each meal is counted towards the package purchased .

You may choose to dine in the following venues as part of your Speciality Dining Package for the corresponding upcharges: Ocean Blue ($15), Bayamo ($10), Cirque Dreams and Illusionarium ($10 regular seats/$15 premium seats/$35 VIP seating on Breakaway), Sushi Bar ($7), Pincho Tapas Bar ($7), and Raw Bar ($7 – does not include Seafood platter). Speciality Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at $10,00.

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

UDP on escape has been explained somewhere for now it may still be this.

http://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

Ok...I asked this question from NCL customer service and, this was the response (for what it's worth) First of all, the UDP is no longer available for purchase, just the SDP. The difference is that, with the UDP, you could go to any included restaurant as many times as you wanted in an evening. People gave examples of going to one before a show and another after or all kinds of scenarios. According to NCL, that is still allowed under the UDP. With the SDP, you purchase a specific number of MEALS, from 3 to 7. If you go to 2 places in one day, you use up 2 of your meals -- if you want to go for sushi prior to dinner, you can pay a la carte then use your SDP for dinner and, will have to pay an upcharge as listed for certain restaurants (but not with UDP per NCL) With either package, there is no a la carte pricing if you are using the meal plan--but, still is an upcharge for an extra entree in Cagneys and Le Bistro.

Since we don't know what the a la carte prices are at this point and NCL couldn't tell me, we can't comparison shop to see which will be a better deal.

If it makes a difference, unless you are on the first voyage, you could wait until those people post menus/prices.

Our CC told us that if you got your UDP before I think July 31st, you were grandfathered in with the old rules (All you can eat, as often as you want, anywhere other than Bayamo I think. Now, of course, this is NCL....so she could have been correct for that day, but not the next, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Sure. I personally prefer the visuals. She appears to be recreating the dining guide (which someone posted above) but with less info and some wrong prices.

hahaha - I made a list for myself that I'll update when I make our reservations and plan our bar crawl - then share with our travel companions. When I shared here I noted that the prices weren't necessarily correct. Y'all are just too much sometimes - bless your hearts.

I appreciate the effort on the dining guide, however, I am more confused than ever about how the UDP (which we received as a promo) will work with all the a la carte restaurants now. Can someone simplify this for me? And, please note, I am talking about the UDP, not the SDP.

*and let's keep it specific to the Escape as this is the subject matter on this thread.

So I will try to answer your question to the best of my abilities since we have also received the UDP as promo.

With the UDP you will be able to eat (for free) at all of the traditional NCL specialty restaurants (Le Bistro, Cagney's, Teppanyaki, La Cucina, Moderno). The reasons why some of these restaurants are listed as A-la-carte is because they will be a-la-carte on Escape if you don't have the UDP or the SDP.

There are some specialty restaurants (Bayamo among others) that will be exclusively a-la-carte. The UDP will also allow you to receive a 25% discount to the For The Record show.

Hope this helps.

Edited by jmele999

So I will try to answer your question to the best of my abilities since we have also received the UDP as promo.

With the UDP you will be able to eat (for free) at all of the traditional NCL specialty restaurants (Le Bistro, Cagney's, Teppanyaki, La Cucina, Moderno). The reasons why some of these restaurants are listed as A-la-carte is because they will be a-la-carte on Escape if you don't have the UDP or the SDP.

There are some specialty restaurants (Bayamo among others) that will be exclusively a-la-carte. The UDP will also allow you to receive a 25% discount to the For The Record show.

Hope this helps.

That absolutely helps! Thank you so much. :D

You are welcome. Just realized that we are on the same cruise - January 16, 2016

Actually we're on the Escape the week after you. We are doing a b2b and are on the Celebrity Reflection the week of the 16th. I think just being able to see the Escape as we're getting on the Reflection will really help to build the excitement. This will be our first time on Celebrity so lots to look forward to those two weeks.

Harriet

This is what I think after reading various comments and terms/cond regarding the Escape only:

Those that got the UDP months back in a promo or purchased, will still get the per person specialty restaurants. This would be Moderno and Teppanyaki. " A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants (Not included in the Ultimate Dining Package). These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces."

This quote above is taken from the T&C of those that have it for sailings after July 3rd. Oh, it's also for those that purchase it, too, after July 3, BUT they don't sell them anymore! I think the reason they haven't removed it from T&C so they can refer customers to it for explanation.

Those booking The Supper Club with UDP (NOT SDP) are being charged with a 25% discount and gratuity/ serv charge. I have read this about 4-5 times. This leads me to believe that the ala carte restaurants will do the same.

Now, for me, the package for a no cost charge is pretty much useless since I do not care for Moderno nor Teppanyaki (based on experiences). I do find some of the a la carte restaurants inviting. If we (2) of us eat a la carte 3x and we spend 180.00 total, it will only cost us $ 135.00 and likely plus 18%. (18% is included in the per person in the TWO specialty restaurants as far as I know). Will it be 18% o 130. or 180.? ....who knows.

What I do know is I think NCL has to straighten out the UDP, SDP, ala carte, specialty restaurants not covered by the packages and the like, mess. There are so many variables, and add to the convoluted options, we will have individuals serving us with different interpretations! I think in the future, their promos will have choices with dollar values, instead of unlimited goods. ie, Beverage credit of 300., Dining 200.00, DSC, and so on.

My intent is not to turn this wonderful Escape thread into a bashing session, so I withhold what I think of my free UDP promo now!

Our CC told us that if you got your UDP before I think July 31st, you were grandfathered in with the old rules (All you can eat, as often as you want, anywhere other than Bayamo I think. Now, of course, this is NCL....so she could have been correct for that day, but not the next, so we'll just have to wait and see.

LOL...and my phoneling referred me to the Terms and Conditions!

This is what I think after reading various comments and terms/cond regarding the Escape only:

Those that got the UDP months back in a promo or purchased, will still get the per person specialty restaurants. This would be Moderno and Teppanyaki. " A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants (Not included in the Ultimate Dining Package). These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces."

This quote above is taken from the T&C of those that have it for sailings after July 3rd. Oh, it's also for those that purchase it, too, after July 3, BUT they don't sell them anymore! I think the reason they haven't removed it from T&C so they can refer customers to it for explanation.

Those booking The Supper Club with UDP (NOT SDP) are being charged with a 25% discount and gratuity/ serv charge. I have read this about 4-5 times. This leads me to believe that the ala carte restaurants will do the same.

Now, for me, the package for a no cost charge is pretty much useless since I do not care for Moderno nor Teppanyaki (based on experiences). I do find some of the a la carte restaurants inviting. If we (2) of us eat a la carte 3x and we spend 180.00 total, it will only cost us $ 135.00 and likely plus 18%. (18% is included in the per person in the TWO specialty restaurants as far as I know). Will it be 18% o 130. or 180.? ....who knows.

What I do know is I think NCL has to straighten out the UDP, SDP, ala carte, specialty restaurants not covered by the packages and the like, mess. There are so many variables, and add to the convoluted options, we will have individuals serving us with different interpretations! I think in the future, their promos will have choices with dollar values, instead of unlimited goods. ie, Beverage credit of 300., Dining 200.00, DSC, and so on.

My intent is not to turn this wonderful Escape thread into a bashing session, so I withhold what I think of my free UDP promo now!

Your summary leaves out Cagney's, Le Bistro, and La Cucina. Although these will be a la carte on Escape, they are still covered by UDP/SDP for no additional charge.

Edited by LrgPizza

If the Pinchos Tapas restaurant has an upcharge, why isn't it available for reserving? Or Food Republic? I'm on Escape in December and have booked Bayamo and Supper Club with the discount+gratuity charge already.

It can be assumed those restaurants follow the form of the old-style, casual, walk up and dine a la carte places, in the form of Wasabi, Ocean Blue Waterfront, etc... None of those can be preserved either.

LOL...and my phoneling referred me to the Terms and Conditions!

My past 2 or 3 CCs have been kind of flaky, but my current one (Joy) has been pretty helpful and so far, accurate. Based on what I'm seeing, for those of us used to the old UDP who got it before it became the SDP, we're safe and the experience won't really be any different.