Everything.. ESCAPE (live 29 Oct 2015!)

Overall I prefer the "away" ships over the EPIC, but EPIC's pool deck wins hands down. It's pretty expansive and open, even with the water slides. I like the side-by-side pools and the pool bar is excellent. Lots and lots of deck space for chairs. I took this pic on the crossing to Barcelona earlier this year.

17413005496_8dfc601c64_b.jpg

Edited by eroller

Overall I prefer the "away" ships over the EPIC, but EPIC's pool deck wins hands down. It's pretty expansive and open, even with the water slides. I like the side-by-side pools and the pool bar is excellent. Lots and lots of deck space for chairs. I took this pic on the crossing to Barcelona earlier this year.

But the actual pools are horrible...

Random question, eroller. Would you happen to know the ship next to the Getaway? Those balconies with the see through covering are crazy cool.

Absolutely. One of my favorite ships in the world. DISNEY FANTASY. She and her sister DISNEY DREAM are true gems. The attention to detail is second to none.

But the actual pools are horrible...

You didn't like them? I did because they were so open and side by side plus had the fun fountains. They are small but all ship pools are. The pools on the "away" ships seem so closed in. Also EPIC had a smaller pool in Spice H2O which the "away" ships don't have, plus a much larger Haven pool and the pool in the Spa. Overall there just seemed to be better choices. Even so, I still preferred the GETAWAY overall mostly because of The Waterfront and also how much more open the rest of the ship felt in the public areas. EPIC's public areas felt very dark and closed in to me. I guess you can't have it all!

I was really hoping the ESCAPE would improve upon the pool situation but unfortunately it doesn't look like way except for a little more deck space.

16818019783_6e4ef8d49a_b.jpg

Edited by eroller

Absolutely. One of my favorite ships in the world. DISNEY FANTASY. She and her sister DISNEY DREAM are true gems. The attention to detail is second to none.

I thought it might be a Disney ship. They have those rather distinctive white ball looking things on the top (which I assume must be some kind of radar or satellite).

I too think the pools on the Epic were really nice. It would have been awesome if they had taken the pool concept from the Epic and improved upon it for the Escape. Of course, in my dream world I fantasize NCL looks at each class of ships, takes the best things and improves upon them and then adds some new mind blowing features to build THE most awesome NCL ship of all ... I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight!

I thought it might be a Disney ship. They have those rather distinctive white ball looking things on the top (which I assume must be some kind of radar or satellite).

Yup and under the forward one is a waterfall. It's called "Satellite Falls". Lol. Adults only area. Pretty cool.

Here is a pic I took of the pool area on GETAWAY. You can see the two pool bars but also on the deck above there are those deck houses again, but no pool bar. Again I think it must be some required technical space. Unfortunately it really divides up the pool deck.

16359787316_08cf017fd2_c.jpg

The box on the starboard side is the equipment room for the midship crew elevators. On the port side is the tech booth for the stage forward of the pool.

The main pool areas are sandwiched between the shafts and equipment for the forward passenger elevators at one end, and the funnel trunks and assorted emergency equipment rooms at the other.

This is more or less the best they can do with the current design. Stacking the bars and opening up the area behind the basketball court for deck chairs is a big improvement over Breakaway, for whatever that's worth.

A retractable pool for Spice H2O would require space for the pool basin on the deck below, where the Garden Cafe is located. I suppose it could be done, but it would take away a large amount of prime seating area near the aft windows.

Edited by barnacle_boy

The box on the starboard side is the equipment room for the midship crew elevators. On the port side is the tech booth for the stage forward of the pool.

Thank you for explaining this. I had a feeling it had to be crew stairs or machinery spaces for crew elevators.

I guess since the starboard side space on ESCAPE has been removed the crew elevators either stop short or they are all on the port side now.

I'm sure they could still do a small pool in Spice H2O but as you say the pool trunk would have to take up space on the deck below. On EPIC it takes up part of the spa but it's no big deal as the spa is already massive. The impact would be greater in the buffet where space is at more of a premium. At least they will have the grotto waterfall area which looks fun.

Does anyone know how long the two Broadway shows will be on the Escape? Trying to figure out a dining plan, but hard when I don't know how long the shows are. They are kind of at awkward times, too, on the 3-day trip. I was trying to book Bayamo but it would only give me one time slot (8:30) that wouldn't seem to work for either show that night (7 or 9:30).

If I don't pre-book dining, I'm assuming that we'll be able to walk up SOMEWHERE and be seated with 20 min or so?

Thanks, I'm an NCL newbie, usually do Royal. But looking forward to Escape!

Does anyone know how long the two Broadway shows will be on the Escape? Trying to figure out a dining plan, but hard when I don't know how long the shows are. They are kind of at awkward times, too, on the 3-day trip. I was trying to book Bayamo but it would only give me one time slot (8:30) that wouldn't seem to work for either show that night (7 or 9:30).

If I don't pre-book dining, I'm assuming that we'll be able to walk up SOMEWHERE and be seated with 20 min or so?

Both are listed on the NCL site as lasting for 90minutes. We won't know precise run-times until the ship is in service

Book Bayamo on a different day than the shows. There are only 2 Broadway shows, so you have plenty of other nights.

It's only a 3 day cruise. :(

Crap, I missed that part. Other suggestion is to book Bayamo as soon as you get on the ship. They never release all the available seats for pre-booking, so you shouldn't have a problem getting something earlier if you do it once you board.

See Nov 14 roll call page 51 post #1012. Show schedule with dates & times are listed.

This should help:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2019673&page=51

Mrswood83 wrote:

"For those interested- here is the show schedule:

After Midnight- 11/15 and 11/19 offered at 7 and 9:30 also 11/20 offered to at 8:30

Million Dollar Quartet- 11/16 and 11/17 offered at 7 and 9:30

Supper Club- 11/14,15,16 offered at 5:15 and 8:30 also 11/19,20 offered at 7:30"

Harriet

I'm not on the Escape until Feb 6. I'm hoping all you smart people will come back here and answer some of the questions we've been talking about. The balcony size to name one. Is it just a double closet, to shows, food etc!! It'd be great if you did that so we won't have to go hunting your reviews. Or please post a link to your reviews here. Looking forward to all your insights.

You didn't like them? I did because they were so open and side by side plus had the fun fountains. They are small but all ship pools are. The pools on the "away" ships seem so closed in. Also EPIC had a smaller pool in Spice H2O which the "away" ships don't have, plus a much larger Haven pool and the pool in the Spa. Overall there just seemed to be better choices. Even so, I still preferred the GETAWAY overall mostly because of The Waterfront and also how much more open the rest of the ship felt in the public areas. EPIC's public areas felt very dark and closed in to me. I guess you can't have it all!

16818019783_6e4ef8d49a_b.jpg

There was only 1.5 pools, as the one above had those "seats" or whatever they are. Those fountain things were annoying as the salty water kept stingy my eyes.

The pool in Spice was great though. Why they have the waterfall feature versus a small pool is odd to me. The removable floor under the screen is a great feature that they could have incorporated into the Away ships and Escape.

I'm not on the Escape until Feb 6. I'm hoping all you smart people will come back here and answer some of the questions we've been talking about. The balcony size to name one. Is it just a double closet, to shows, food etc!! It'd be great if you did that so we won't have to go hunting your reviews. Or please post a link to your reviews here. Looking forward to all your insights.

I plan to try my hand at semi-live blogging the trip here and I'm sure there will be at least one other person doing it so look for those starting on or a little before 10/25. The cabin crawl for the Hamburg to Southampton is on 10/26 and I think we're covering most of the balcony types.

I get the feeling that the problem will be that too many people are reporting live.

I've done live reports from my last few cruises and have been planning to do something from the Escape, and I'm sure there are others.

I would follow yours. You are short, sweet, and to the point. Too many others have way too much fluff in theirs!

I get the feeling that the problem will be that too many people are reporting live.

I've done live reports from my last few cruises and have been planning to do something from the Escape, and I'm sure there are others.

I agree there will be too many. About 10, from what I've seen.

I'll be too busy doing too many other things, but I'll help answer questions if I can after we return.