Equinox - Table for 10 - good idea for a couple?

tbmrt

A few years ago we had an awful experience when seated at a table of 6 the first night....2 of the people complained constantly and were extremely rude.

We asked to be moved after the first night and things were fine from the on.

This cruise I requested late seating, table of 10, thinking we could socialize more with others at the table if a few were rude, etc.

It will just be hubby and I this trip. Do you agree that a table of 10 would usually be better for us?

Thanks

Barbara

We have never sat at a table of 10, however, we have sat at a table of 8 quite often and have never really had any problems. I do agree that with the larger tables, if you do have someone who is rude, it is easier to ignore them and carry on a conversation with your other table mates.

I have had both a table for eight and ten for late seating in MDR. both times the couples were a variety of people and ages. Easy to mix it up and even have two or three coversations going over dinner. I think you have a excellent idea for solving the problem you had last time.

For me, the tables of 8 or 10 are much too big to socialize much. The dining room is noisy to begin with, and the larger tables are so big, you can only talk to people next to you or just one person away.

A few years ago we had an awful experience when seated at a table of 6 the first night....2 of the people complained constantly and were extremely rude.

This cruise I requested late seating, table of 10, thinking we could socialize more with others at the table if a few were rude, etc.

Thanks

Barbara

any more than 8 you will not be able to talk to people at the end unless

you are smack dab in the middle/ go for nor more than 8

It will just be hubby and I this trip. Do you agree that a table of 10 would usually be better for us?

Thanks

Barbara

To save any potential obnoxious table mates, go for a table for two. Book Select and reserve table 555. Just above the Captain's table with full view of the stairs.:D:D

This may be a dumb question, but how can one reserve the type of table?

I know that we can request an early or late seating, and possibly link to another account if we wish to be seated with friends or family (which doesn't always work..). Could someone please explain how to make a request for a table for two, and even better, a table location?

Thanks

I have had both a table for eight and ten for late seating in MDR. both times the couples were a variety of people and ages. Easy to mix it up and even have two or three coversations going over dinner. I think you have a excellent idea for solving the problem you had last time.

We are Elite Plus and agree with you 100%. The larger the number of table participants, the better. If someone is "out of line", the group will control it. This is based on experience. Most of the time, there is no problem. If you want a more romantic setting, a table for two is definitely the way to go.....

We’ve cruise I think 45 nights thus far and have never, ever done the group dining thing.

Just me and DW.

The thought of just sitting with strangers is terrifying to me but then again, I’m rather reserved and introverted. Hate the idea of polite small talk, but on the other hand when I meet someone I like, then can’t shut me up.

Going on a 7 nighter in May….yep, table for 2 will be the goal :)

We've had terrific luck booking select dining and then asking to join others for dinner. that also gives you the option to meet folks waiting to eat dinner and ask if they'd like to join you...or just asking for a table for 2 if you need a break from socializing.

.....the first thing to remember is that you can easily change tables after a first night "mismatch". I've only found it necessary to do this twice in 25 years of cruising, but wouldn't hesitate if tablemates weren't compatible.

I find the Equinox MDR pleasant in most aspects EXCEPT for the noise level. A table for 10 is almost guaranteed to cause a problem with hearing those at the far end of the table. A table for 8 works best for me.

Everyone will have a different take on this, so take your best shot and change tables if need be.

The other advantage to a large table is, if one or two of the couples chooses to dine in a specialty restaurant, you still have others to socialize with.

On two cruises we had a table for 8 or 10 and no one showed up for the most nights :D So it was like a big table for two, but we had a lot of fun with our waiters ;)

But on another cruise we had a table for 10 and it was full every night. Let me say that this was the best table ever and we really enjoyed the dinner. Everyone was great and our group started to meet after dinner because we had so much fun.

For our upcoming cruises (36 nights total) we have chosen a table for 2 to risk nothing. But perhaps we will change this for the second leg, don't know yet.

Edited by swoonx

We have met some of the most interesting and engaging people over dinner at a large table. I would recommend even if you are shy-- there is always someone who is a talker and able to keep things lively. Twice in cruises last year our group of three were the only people at a table of six-- 21 nights of the same discussions we have at home. Pretty disappointing. Cheers.

I sail solo and prefer a mid size table. Yes, I have met others (over on

the solo forum) who enjoy eating dinner by themselves and that is

great. Not all of us are the same. I enjoy traditional dining, late seating

and normally ask for an 6/8 tops...so yes, I want to sit with others.

My last 2 cruises were terrific:D....last month on Century....the 3 night

cruise was a bit different. I had booked traditional dining but only

ended up in the dining room once.....went to Murano with roll call

mates on one night, ate with friends in their suite another night and

since it was just me, on the 3rd night was able to sit those same 2

suite friends but went to Select part of the dining room. I know you

probably aren't supposed to switch but this cruise (only 3 nights) was

a bit different and the hostess didn't say anything.

Now, on the 2nd crusie (8 nights)....I did have wonderful tablemates

too.....from the roll call as well:D....we had a 6 top......there were

2 couples and me.....and we had a great time. Late dining, same

wait staff...we had 2 waitresse's and they were awesome too:)

We ate together every night....except once for each of us. It worked

out really well. Invited one of the officer's to join us one evening and

that was fun:D

Shy has never been part of my personality and I think I got that

from my Dad.....Rest his soul......he was always one of those folks

who never met a stranger and I am glad I want to meet others.

Not everyone gets along, I realize that but as a solo cruiser, it is

much more fun for me to sit with other people.:)

DH and I eat alone together many nights of the year. Since I work from home, and he is retired, we spend LOTS of time together. One of our favorite parts of cruising is having a large table at fixed dining and meeting new friends, some of whom we have stayed friends with for years now.

This is the reason we didn't care for Blu--honestly, I didn't find the food to be that much different, or better, and we really missed the camaraderie we have come to associate with cruising. We have met some real characters over the years, but never had any 'issues' at all.

All this 'taking a risk' business is just way over my head, don't get it at all.

And, some of us think a "stranger" is just a friend we haven't met. :D

Hi Texed I hear ya’ and agree.

I just feel weird trying to weed out, or get to that stage.

Once I’m at that stage I’m fine…but getting there has never been my hobby.

Hi Texed I hear ya’ and agree.

I just feel weird trying to weed out, or get to that stage.

Once I’m at that stage I’m fine…but getting there has never been my hobby.

Hey, there is nothing wrong with the table for two. My wife was very shy meeting new folks. She "HAD" to get less shy being married to me. :p

We have never sat at a table of 10, however, we have sat at a table of 8 quite often and have never really had any problems. I do agree that with the larger tables, if you do have someone who is rude, it is easier to ignore them and carry on a conversation with your other table mates.

Ditto...

Most of our recent cruises have involved bringing the kids. In my first life - my 13 DD and 10DS sat with us for early dining at a table for 8. We were with a couple and their sister along with their 11 year old son. These two boys hit it off and made the entire cruise experience awesome for both of them. My DD only needed to make an appearance at dinner as she had made so many friends and wanted to go eat pizza with the teens!! Now in my second life - we seem to be given table for four with our twin DDs. I am seriously hoping that during our next 14Day cruise on the Eclipse that we are at a large table (size was not asked during booking). I love my family but I eat dinner with them 365 days a year..... What a chance to meet someone else and even if they are annoying - you will have something to talk about later!!! Just remind me to not let anyone know that I am a nurse - it is amazing what people "need" to share when they know that.

It is a Christmas cruise and should be plenty of families!!