Which Perk...Classic Beverage or Gratuities?

Wonders10

Hi everyone!

I'm so excited that my soon to be fiance has agreed to a Celebrity cruise for our honeymoon! We are looking at the 5-night Caribbean next March. We are booking soon to take advantage of the pick your perk offer going on right now.

I'm torn between the free gratuities or the classic beverage package. I don't drink a lot, but I like a drink or two every now and again plus fun coffee drinks and bottled water. Fiance likes the coffee and water as well plus maybe a soda. We probably would use it a lot more knowing its "free" compared to paying as we go. I am planning on booking aquaclass so I've figured our gratuties would be about $250.

Which do you think would be a better value? I know most of you will probably say the drink package but I'm just asking because on my last cruise I probabably spent $100 on drinks, etc (but that's because it was my own money).

Thanks!!

The drinks package for us every time.

We love being able to try different drinks without worrying about the cost. However, we always upgrade to the premium package.

We come out ahead every trip.

Thanks everyone. After posting, I did a quick quote online and realized my gratuities would only be $125 total...we would definitely drink more than that between the two of us so I'm definitely going with the drink package!

Thanks for the quick replies.

Just a tip, you may be able to find a TA that would also cover the gratuities, that way you get both. That's what we do, don't drink that much but the drink pkg is fun to have and our TA covers the gratuities.

Just a thought, but since its your honeymoon you might want to look at the 7 night caribbean itineraries. Its not really any more time off (since the 5 nights are often Monday-Friday anyway) and you visit better ports (IMO). Also, the shorter cruises in March tend to be rowdier with spring breakers (although not as many as other lines). Just a thought since you stil have plenty of time to decide! Cheers!

Just a thought, but since its your honeymoon you might want to look at the 7 night caribbean itineraries. Its not really any more time off (since the 5 nights are often Monday-Friday anyway) and you visit better ports (IMO). Also, the shorter cruises in March tend to be rowdier with spring breakers (although not as many as other lines). Just a thought since you stil have plenty of time to decide! Cheers!

Very good advice. We feel on a five day (have only done one), the first day you're getting settled and the last day you are getting packed up and wishing it were not over. A 7 day is much better.

I guess only you can decide how much you would drink and based on that, choose whether you would rather have the free gratuities or the drink package. Happy cruising.

Very good advice. We feel on a five day (have only done one), the first day you're getting settled and the last day you are getting packed up and wishing it were not over. A 7 day is much better.

I guess only you can decide how much you would drink and based on that, choose whether you would rather have the free gratuities or the drink package. Happy cruising.

I totally agree! But...my other half has never ever been on a cruise and he is not the best sleeper and is terrified he will hate it and feel trapped. I am lucky we he agreed to a 5 nighter! My gut tells me he will love it and be ready for a 7-night cruise soon!

I am actually pleased with the ports. We will travel to Key West, which I love and fiance has never been to but wants to, and Cozumel which I have been to many times and thinking we will visit Nachi Cocom (or maybe I'll try another beach club since I've done Nachi twice).

I'm really leaning towards the drink package as then we will literally have everything paid for prior to the cruise and gratuities aren't as much as I thought they were.

We did a cheap 4-niter to test his sea legs.... this way we were able to enjoy a 7-niter for our honeymoon.

I can't speak for celebrity, ... but with Royal, the 3-4-5 night itineraries are on older ships which usually aren't as nice.

I totally agree! But...my other half has never ever been on a cruise and he is not the best sleeper and is terrified he will hate it and feel trapped. I am lucky we he agreed to a 5 nighter! My gut tells me he will love it and be ready for a 7-night cruise soon!

I am actually pleased with the ports. We will travel to Key West, which I love and fiance has never been to but wants to, and Cozumel which I have been to many times and thinking we will visit Nachi Cocom (or maybe I'll try another beach club since I've done Nachi twice).

I'm really leaning towards the drink package as then we will literally have everything paid for prior to the cruise and gratuities aren't as much as I thought they were.

gratuities are $15 a day for aqua so nowhere near the $250 you estimated. :)

According to Celebrity's web site, gratuites for aqua are $12.50 per day.

Q: How are gratuities handled onboard?A: For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion: • $12 per person per day in staterooms

• $12.50 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $15.50 per person per day in suites

This gratuity is shared by your stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff members who help enhance your vacation experience.

At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account.

PERHAPS THIS IS WHAT CONFUSED YOU:

A 15% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion.

We did a cheap 4-niter to test his sea legs.... this way we were able to enjoy a 7-niter for our honeymoon.

I can't speak for celebrity, ... but with Royal, the 3-4-5 night itineraries are on older ships which usually aren't as nice.

That may be a possibility...and another excuse to cruise! :p

Just off aquaclass on the constellation yesterday. 4 day cruise tips equalled $50. $12.50 a day. Really enjoyed the beverage package. Make sure you look that what you like to drink is included in the classic package. A couple we met on board were disappointed with some of the limitations the classic package had at the Martini Bar.

Just off aquaclass on the constellation yesterday. 4 day cruise tips equalled $50. $12.50 a day. Really enjoyed the beverage package. Make sure you look that what you like to drink is included in the classic package. A couple we met on board were disappointed with some of the limitations the classic package had at the Martini Bar.
We also were on Aquaclass on the Constellation with the classic package.

We were very happy with this package. We aren't big drinkers so I can't speak for them.

We used the package for lots of premium coffees, and a good selection of wines and beers.

Try Leffe beer. It's one of our favorites at home and we were happy to see that it was included.

With cocktails we simply told the bartenders that we were on the classic plan and what we wanted.

They always made it work. It is in their interest to do so. Easy as pie.:)

Not hard to drink $12.50 worth. Not hard at all.:D

For our 7 day cruise, we chose gratuities. We'll probably only have 2 drinks each, I don't drink soda, and we may get a specialty coffee or tea once a day. So that's $120 max. Even if we did 4 drinks each, the gratuities would still be better.

None the less, if my splurge cost beat gratuities and it sounded like fun, I would do it.

Werent there two other options also to pick from? There was when we booked in march, Airfare, obc, tips or drinks. We picked drinks, will be nice to not worry about food or most of our drinks and we will be trying lots of drinks (coffees and cocktails and such) that we would never normally tried.

I thought the obc offer was $300, we were tempted to take that but the drink package just spoke to us too much :)

For our 7 day cruise, we chose gratuities. We'll probably only have 2 drinks each, I don't drink soda, and we may get a specialty coffee or tea once a day. So that's $120 max. Even if we did 4 drinks each, the gratuities would still be better.

None the less, if my splurge cost beat gratuities and it sounded like fun, I would do it.

If the gratuities are $12.50 a day I fail to see you how "even if you did 4 drinks each that the gratuities would be better." What can you be drinking on the ship that would average less than 12.50/4 or $3.20 each? If at two of something to drink each day it is 12.50/2 or $6.25 a drink. The only way that it might make sense is that if you were Elite plus and your speciality coffee and three drinks 5 of the days were free, but if that is true you left out a very important part of your justification.

But of course the choice is yours and that is why they have a 123.

If the gratuities are $12.50 a day I fail to see you how "even if you did 4 drinks each that the gratuities would be better." What can you be drinking on the ship that would average less than 12.50/4 or $3.20 each? If at two of something to drink each day it is 12.50/2 or $6.25 a drink. The only way that it might make sense is that if you were Elite plus and your speciality coffee and three drinks 5 of the days were free, but if that is true you left out a very important part of your justification.

But of course the choice is yours and that is why they have a 123.

I never said 2 or 4 drinks a day, I said (or meant to say) that number in the duration of a 7 day cruise.

According to Celebrity's web site, gratuites for aqua are $12.50 per day.

Q: How are gratuities handled onboard?A: For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion: • $12 per person per day in staterooms

• $12.50 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $15.50 per person per day in suites

This gratuity is shared by your stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff members who help enhance your vacation experience.

At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account.

PERHAPS THIS IS WHAT CONFUSED YOU:

A 15% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion.

Not confused, just posted way too early on the westcoast :)

We have just booked B2B2B with Celebrity & when we enquired we were told the perks of either gratuities paid or drinks package was not available for us because we booked from Australia. We get ripped off each time.

Yikes! Maybe this is a dumb question, but you could book just the first part and make reservations on board? I guess you would be risking availability and have to switch cabins, but maybe in international waters the option is available.

Werent there two other options also to pick from? There was when we booked in march, Airfare, obc, tips or drinks. We picked drinks, will be nice to not worry about food or most of our drinks and we will be trying lots of drinks (coffees and cocktails and such) that we would never normally tried.

I thought the obc offer was $300, we were tempted to take that but the drink package just spoke to us too much :)

There were 2 other choices. Airfare, or something like that, which we don't need as we live in south Florida. The other option was onboard credit which was not very much compared to getting all drinks free (or even gratuties).