Invited to Top Tier Event - Why?

I'm a little puzzled. My husband and I were invited to the C&A "Top Tier" event on our cruise. We're both Gold status, with 15 points (each) going into this 7-night cruise, so we won't reach the next status even counting the most current points.

Any ideas on why we were invited? It was my 50th birthday on this cruise, could that have been a factor?

We were told to bring either the invite or present our Sea Pass cards. When we presented our Sea Pass cards, we were turned away until I ran back to our cabin and got the invite and presented that.

I'm a little puzzled. My husband and I were invited to the C&A "Top Tier" event on our cruise. We're both Gold status, with 15 points (each) going into this 7-night cruise, so we won't reach the next status even counting the most current points.

Any ideas on why we were invited? It was my 50th birthday on this cruise, could that have been a factor?

We were told to bring either the invite or present our Sea Pass cards. When we presented our Sea Pass cards, we were turned away until I ran back to our cabin and got the invite and presented that.

Simple error. Sometimes cruisers who SHOULD get that invitation, don't.

You probably got one of theirs. ;)

Simple error. Sometimes cruisers who SHOULD get that invitation, don't.

You probably got one of theirs. ;)

Just great.. Some whiny member is going to come on CC and say how their cruise was RUINED and they will NEVER sail royal again and that their loyalty program is going down the toilet.

Simple error. Sometimes cruisers who SHOULD get that invitation, don't...

If I am an upper tier C&A member and I don't get an invite and I do want to go to the party, Ima go see where my invite got to. ;) We know there is a party going on somewhere... hehe...

Clerical errors happen.

The actual answer, in all probability is they plan for X number of cruisers and once the roster is set they look at how many of each level is on board. On Majesty , which frequently has a lot of higher levels, they extended down to gold to get 500 people, (number from memory) for that ship on my last cruise. We were Emerald and our friends were gold. Both of us got invites in cabin.

Edited by BillOh

Same thing happened to us on our recent FotS cruise this past week. My boyfriend and I are only lowly Gold members like yourself, but with only 4 points each before this cruise. We arrived to our room one day to see we had received invites for a free bridge, galley, and Studio B tour. The envelope was addressed to us, but on each of the invites it clearly stated for Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members only. We went to guest services to see if it was a goof and they said we were "invited" by someone. We have no clue as to who or why, but it was nice receiving those tours!:D

We became Platinum after the last cruise, and are sailing again next month. What is a top tier event?

Very similar to the regular repeater's party, except limited to Platinum and above. Sometimes a ship will do something special. For example, Voyager had a special ice show for the party. Monarch used to have a breakfast on the 4-day itinerary.

There's usually an element of "capacity" involved in these events as well. If there's not a lot of C&A members of higher tier, they seem to issue invitations until the room is full. Similarly, they'll skip lower-point Platinum members if there's a lot of higher-tier people aboard for whatever reason.

We were Emerald on our Oasis cruises (B2B) and were invited to the special helipad sailaways on each of the weeks. The helipad is off limits on Oasis and Allure, unlike some of the other ships.

I'm guessing they just didn't have enough of D and above, so moved down the list. We didn't care, it was awesome being up there. Thank you, Royal!

The top tier event wasn't much to write home about on the serenade last week. We went to the safari club and got a few free cocktails (sparkling, margarita or rum punch).

It was on the second formal night so it was just half hr before our dinner at 8pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

got a few free cocktails (sparkling, margarita or rum punch).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never been given a free cocktail on a cruise. You may not be impressed, but I am waiting and willing to be impressed this way.

In 2012 we were fortunate to be the 'top cruisers' and benefitted from all sorts of 'special' things. However, for that cruise we were linked with friends on their very first cruise - they too were invited automatically to everything we were, except our invite to dinner with the captain.

Both RCCL and PRINCESS have our point calculations WAAAY wrong, to our advantage. I have contacted them both to explain where they are wrong and what our status should be So far, only PRINCESS has made the necessary corrections. I won't be calling a second time.

We were Emerald on our Oasis cruises (B2B) and were invited to the special helipad sailaways on each of the weeks. The helipad is off limits on Oasis and Allure, unlike some of the other ships.

I'm guessing they just didn't have enough of D and above, so moved down the list. We didn't care, it was awesome being up there. Thank you, Royal!

Two cruises as Emerald on Allure, never got that invite. I would like to have gone out on the bow just for the experience.

Two cruises as Emerald on Allure, never got that invite. I would like to have gone out on the bow just for the experience.

Agree. We did two cruises on Allure as Emerald also and never got that invite either. Only got invites to the aqua theater party for all C&A and the one in the main theater for the upper tier levels. Went the first time, skipped it the second.

Both RCCL and PRINCESS have our point calculations WAAAY wrong, to our advantage. I have contacted them both to explain where they are wrong and what our status should be So far, only PRINCESS has made the necessary corrections. I won't be calling a second time.

I wouldn't have called the first time. :D

Agree. We did two cruises on Allure as Emerald also and never got that invite either. Only got invites to the aqua theater party for all C&A and the one in the main theater for the upper tier levels. Went the first time, skipped it the second.

They had at least two C&A events on Allure this year. One was the same time as our Meet and Mingle, and I couldn't miss that one. Also as I was walking through the Aqua theater they were setting up for it and I watched one crew member unwrap about 100 of the "flute" drinks containers and put them on the table. he used his two fingers on the rim while placing each glass on the table. :(

Later they have an event in the theater and the CD and Captain spoke along with a few of the performers from Chicago. It was a nice event.