First time on RCCL...maybe the last...

jlat

So, we have always wanted to give RCCL a try. Kids are older and not into the Disney thing as much, so we don't cruise them as often. Really like NCL but the timing and itinerary wasn't right this time so we picked a 7 day ride on the Jewel of the Seas, leaving out of PR tomorrow.

Booked back before last Christmas so that we could save up and it would give us something to look forward to this spring. Made all the arrangements either through the website or on the phone with the reps. Got MTD, various drink packages, Chops and Portifino's and 1 excursion.

Checked the website last night, and there was nothing at all reserved. A week or so ago everything was just fine...YIKES... called RCCL and spoke to a very nice young lady. She pulls up my reservations and nothing is there for her either. Several long sessions on hold, as she investigates. Seems that their IT department has had some problems and are trying to fix the issues...hmmm so what about everything that I had reserved...dining times etc? No answer..more on hold. Comes back after a while and tell me that the "resolution department" is working on it. I happened to have all the emails that I had gotten confirming my set up, so I send this along to her. More on hold.....IT department snafu...resolution department....Then I get this jewel...Don't worry sir the boat knows what you have reserved....Hmmm, so I ask her, does she see any of my reservations on her screen? No sir....So I ask her how the boat would know my reservations when they are out in the water on another cruise?? More silence...and I am back on hold...after more waiting..she comes back with more from the "resolutions department", that I might want to print out all the confirmations and take them with me...WHAT?? So I have to go to the boat and get this resolved myself?? More on hold.....They are working on this sir....resolutions department...IT snafu....Some one will call you back tonight or tomorrow....So tomorrow is here..no call back...no resolution...I'm guessing that Saturday when I get on the boat, that I probably will have to hassle with all this...nice RCCL. Probably won't get anymore of my business...send a memo to the IT department.

Wow. Another victim of RCI's wonderful (not) IT department. Yeah, I'd be a little put-off also if this was my first exposure to a cruise line. Here's hoping it gets resolved and you have a wonderful cruise. :)

What did you reserve besides dining times? Shore excursions? Spa appointments?

If the issue hasn't been resolved to your satisfaction by the time you board the ship, you should simply remake the reservations as soon as you board. It should not be a problem since not everyone pre-reserves those things and it is very possible that you can replicate your original reservations with a minimum of trouble. Sure it is aggravating, but IT glitches are not reserved solely to RCI and most of us have encountered similar situations in our everyday life and have learned to deal with them. Try to relax and enjoy the cruise experience that RCI provides while you are onboard. It is very likely that those experiences will be what you will remember and which will bring you back to RCI ships again and again, despite any of their technical failings.:) For all those failings, the service and cruise experience that RCI and its onboard staff provides, more than compensate for them.

That's unfortunate that you have to go through all this, but you could be getting worked up over nothing. The ship could very well have that information, as they said.

Take your confirmations with you and you shouldn't have anything to worry about, other than five minutes out of your day talking to the guest services.

Frustrating, yes. A vacation ruined, no. If you want to decide the trip is ruined before it begins, you're setting yourself up for a bad week. Relax. It will all work out.

The reservations are sent to the ship, so they should have that information on board. Make sure you do as they said and take all your receipts/invoices with you because if you reserved them online you had to have already paid for them and you are definately going to want to have the proof so you can get your credit if for some reason it did not go through to the ship! :cool:

So, we have always wanted to give RCCL a try. Kids are older and not into the Disney thing as much, so we don't cruise them as often. Really like NCL but the timing and itinerary wasn't right this time so we picked a 7 day ride on the Jewel of the Seas, leaving out of PR tomorrow.

Booked back before last Christmas so that we could save up and it would give us something to look forward to this spring. Made all the arrangements either through the website or on the phone with the reps. Got MTD, various drink packages, Chops and Portifino's and 1 excursion.

Checked the website last night, and there was nothing at all reserved. A week or so ago everything was just fine...YIKES... called RCCL and spoke to a very nice young lady. She pulls up my reservations and nothing is there for her either. Several long sessions on hold, as she investigates. Seems that their IT department has had some problems and are trying to fix the issues...hmmm so what about everything that I had reserved...dining times etc? No answer..more on hold. Comes back after a while and tell me that the "resolution department" is working on it. I happened to have all the emails that I had gotten confirming my set up, so I send this along to her. More on hold.....IT department snafu...resolution department....Then I get this jewel...Don't worry sir the boat knows what you have reserved....Hmmm, so I ask her, does she see any of my reservations on her screen? No sir....So I ask her how the boat would know my reservations when they are out in the water on another cruise?? More silence...and I am back on hold...after more waiting..she comes back with more from the "resolutions department", that I might want to print out all the confirmations and take them with me...WHAT?? So I have to go to the boat and get this resolved myself?? More on hold.....They are working on this sir....resolutions department...IT snafu....Some one will call you back tonight or tomorrow....So tomorrow is here..no call back...no resolution...I'm guessing that Saturday when I get on the boat, that I probably will have to hassle with all this...nice RCCL. Probably won't get anymore of my business...send a memo to the IT department.

I doubt you have anything to worry. You can´t Access your reservations up until sailing and they disappear like 3 days Prior to the cruise. I´m pretty sure everything will be transmitted to the ship. As others said just in case take your prints and let them handle it onboard. No Need to get all fussed up about it.

Hopefully you've already printed your SetSail pass. It could be a major hassle getting on board if you don't have that. Also, how about your guest ticket booklet? It would also show all of the reservations you've made.

If I was the CIO of RCI, I would be ticked! Either customer service is blaming something on my systems and it's not IT's fault, or RCI has a really wonky booking system that needs to be looked after.

My experience is that things tend to temporarily be gone from the system and then come back just fine the next day. So keep checking online.

Also have a look over at your roll call and see if anyone else is having the same problem.

I doubt you have anything to worry. You can´t Access your reservations up until sailing and they disappear like 3 days Prior to the cruise. I´m pretty sure everything will be transmitted to the ship. As others said just in case take your prints and let them handle it onboard. No Need to get all fussed up about it.

Yes I forgot about that! If they leave tommorrow and went on there today, they can no longer access that stuff online! :cool:

We are frequent cruisers on RCCL. I have noticed some inefficiencies lately with their phone order bookings. This is not typical of them and clearly they are going thru some challenges lately. Use a booking agent you are familiar with and try to cruise with RCCL again. You know something's wrong if they aren't looking for your final payment by X date. So there is some follow up that may always need to be done to ensure the perfect vacation for the family.

Good Luck!

That sucks. But, it's a bit premature to say never again. See how the cruise goes. I'm sure if you show up for your event with a printout of your confirmation they'll accommodate you.

I do not consider it a big deal, just a minor inconvenience that can happen any where a computer is used, yes even banks.

Always remember travel, even today, is not rocket science, like rocket science it is always an adventure.

If I was the CIO of RCI, I would be ticked! Either customer service is blaming something on my systems and it's not IT's fault, or RCI has a really wonky booking system that needs to be looked after.

My experience is that things tend to temporarily be gone from the system and then come back just fine the next day. So keep checking online.

Also have a look over at your roll call and see if anyone else is having the same problem.

Really...you're going there? Assuming CIO to you is Chief Information Officer (or similar)...given all the problems and issues the web site has had over the last year I would be getting on my knees at least once an day and thanking everything I hold Holy and dear that I still have a job.

OP...as others have said, you should have received confirmation emails when the reservations were made. Just print them off and take them with you.

Thanks for posting this. I just went in to my reservations as we made two reservations for shore excursions and they are still there. I do understand that this is frustrating for you but perhaps you could contact the Shore Excursion Department and they could fix it for you.

As for your dining times try emailing Ms. Mena in the Royal Caribbean Dining Department VMena AT rccl.com. She has been very helpful and I'm sure can help you with your requests.

If you need an Executive Contact try contacting Ms. ****** ******* At rccl.com she is in the Executive Offices and has been super helpful and responsive.

And I would keep calling back to see the status.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for posting this. I just went in to my reservations as we made two reservations for shore excursions and they are still there. I do understand that this is frustrating for you but perhaps you could contact the Shore Excursion Department and they could fix it for you.

As for your dining times try emailing Ms. Mena in the Royal Caribbean Dining Department VMena AT rccl.com. She has been very helpful and I'm sure can help you with your requests.

You could also email Adam Goldstein agoldstein AT Rccl.com and one of his Executive Assistants can help you or at least your e-mail will be forwarded to the appropriate department.

And I would keep calling back to see the status.

I hope this helps.

Really...you're going there? Assuming CIO to you is Chief Information Officer (or similar)...given all the problems and issues the web site has had over the last year I would be getting on my knees at least once an day and thanking everything I hold Holy and dear that I still have a job.

OP...as others have said, you should have received confirmation emails when the reservations were made. Just print them off and take them with you.

His name is Bill Martin and maybe you should listen to what he has to say.
Edited by FLACRUISER99

He gives a fantastic sales pitch...

"Once we get you, we've got you", that is our biggest challenge, to get you on a cruise. Once we get you on a cruise, we've got you again and again."

$7.7 billion in Revenue yet systematic cuts are being made to the different C&A program benefits.

I guess they can do this to the loyal cruisers as 'they've got us'. :eek:

Lots of corportate speak...didn't address why that great system keeps losing functionality in many areas, letting information vanish and keeps crashing to various degrees.

I know they have a lot of traffic and hits...so does Facebook, Google and Yahoo...yet they stay up and functioning.

If I had never sailded with RCI and was looking at my options via online tools, given the problems and issues they have had I would not choose them.

Lastly, I know the "Once we get you, we've got you" was in a different context...but that line does not sit well with me. It is possible to make life so frustrating that even loyal customers say "Screw it" and go elsewhere.

For 95% of their customers, having a site they can get basic information from and that functions quickly and reliably is all that matters. Everything he was speaking on matters mostly to "the suits".

Not to make light of the problem, but is it that hard to print out your confirmations and take them with you?? I do that anyway, for everything, I trust NOBODY but myself and the papers I have in my hand.:eek:

I do the same every time.

Thanks - that's a few minutes of my life I won't get back - what a crock of corporate BS! "Once we get you, we've got you" - sums up their attitude. Yes, you had us for 4 days on IoTS - you had your chance - you blew it - we were not impressed.

Nothing major, but an accumulation of small frustrations which culminated in not getting fed one night at the MDR because they could not organise MTD (well done to the buffet manager for rescuing the situation BTW).

Getting a drink in a timely manner was an issue - getting something edible out of normal dining hours was an issue.

There were some major systemic issues which impacted on our cruise experience - they were serious enough that RCCL are now at least third on our list of preferred cruise lines. We could have been profitable cruisers for them (our onboard spend is significant) but - the taster cruise left a nasty taste.

I had only one thought when I began to read your post.

The information ALWAYS disappears from the website about 24 hours before your cruise. You wrote that you are leaving tomorrow.

I would not be upset at all.

As others wrote, you should always take your paperwork with you, no matter the circumstances.

Do I check-in online these days for my flights? Yep. Do I get a mobile boarding pass? Yep. DO I STILL PRINT OUT THE PAPER COPY? I sure do!

No difference here.

I am really really really really sorry that you are so upset. I absolutely believe that NOTHING is wrong and that your cruise will be wonderful. But you have to wrap your mind around these facts and DECIDE to have a good cruise!

Bon Voyage!

:)