Same cruise...different prices

sonnenschein

I don't know what is going on between chrome and internet explorer they have different prices for the same cruise :eek: We are on the Star, November 14 for 10 days to Mexico. While checking prices I came across several different ones for the same cabin categories.

On Explorer balconies are on sale starting at 1149.00

On Chrome balconies start at 1499.00

On Explorer mini suites are on sale starting at 1499.00

On Chrome mini suites start at 1799.00

Called my TA and received the lower price for our Mini Suite saving 600.00. :DHad I not checked both internet sites I would not have known about the reduction since most of the time I use Chrome.This price difference has gone on for about a week, I am surprised Princess has not discovered the difference. So if you are booked on any Princess ship check with Chrome and EXplorer,it might save you a bundle

That's just crazy! Sounds odd that a browser could make the difference. Sounds like Chrome needed a "refresh"...

While many years ago, Expedia (or similar travel site) was charging people more when using one browser over another.

I doubt Princess is dong this. I would just make sure that you are logged in properly and try again.

While many years ago, Expedia (or similar travel site) was charging people more when using one browser over another.

I doubt Princess is dong this. I would just make sure that you are logged in properly and try again.

I am not a computer wizard but I know how to log into the princess site which I do daily. I use both browsers usually start with Explorer first since their larger print is easier for me to read. Then I close Princess and log out of Expedia and repeat the same on the Chrome browser after logging in. The price differences have nothing to do with my computer operation they are just different on each browser..why I don't know.:confused:

Well what do you know...just checked both browsers again and the Princess website has a notice written in red "prices are not available right now"

Somebody at Princess must have seen my posting and decided it needed to be fixed. It is the middle of the night right now I will check again tomorrow and see if corrections have been made:rolleyes:

I have seen articles where airlines do a similar thing and travel professionals suggest checking prices using multiple browsers. I think it can be a function of your saved cookies (which are browser specific). For example, if you have visited the Princess site a bunch of times looking at a specific cruise they might start creeping up the prices because clearly you are very interested. Or maybe you also visited a Royal Caribbean site on one of the browsers which Princess is detecting so is trying to offer a more competitive price. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Princess is taking the same factors into consideration that the airlines do.

But I'm glad your TA was able to get you the lower price.

(As for the price information now being down, the Personalizer is as well with a message saying they are doing maintenance, so I don't know if they are just fixing the pricing or doing broader maintenance on the whole site.)

I am not a computer wizard but I know how to log into the princess site which I do daily. I use both browsers usually start with Explorer first since their larger print is easier for me to read. Then I close Princess and log out of Expedia and repeat the same on the Chrome browser after logging in. The price differences have nothing to do with my computer operation they are just different on each browser..why I don't know.:confused:

Just wanted to make sure as this is one major reason why prices would be different. I do computer support and it is amazing how many times people miss the simple things, even after you ask if they have tried something.

Edited by Coral

This is not uncommon in other industries, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Princess doing it. It would sadden me, but not surprise me.

I have seen articles where airlines do a similar thing and travel professionals suggest checking prices using multiple browsers. I think it can be a function of your saved cookies (which are browser specific). For example, if you have visited the Princess site a bunch of times looking at a specific cruise they might start creeping up the prices because clearly you are very interested. Or maybe you also visited a Royal Caribbean site on one of the browsers which Princess is detecting so is trying to offer a more competitive price. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Princess is taking the same factors into consideration that the airlines do.

But I'm glad your TA was able to get you the lower price.

(As for the price information now being down, the Personalizer is as well with a message saying they are doing maintenance, so I don't know if they are just fixing the pricing or doing broader maintenance on the whole site.)

I check both all the time as well. Chrome keeps me signed in all the time so the prices displayed and OBC are my past passenger rates. Explorer doesn't save it and I see the "regular" or public prices. They are usually quite different. I checked a few times yesterday and there were differences in rates between past passengers and new ones but signed in on both and they were the same.

I check both all the time as well. Chrome keeps me signed in all the time so the prices displayed and OBC are my past passenger rates. Explorer doesn't save it and I see the "regular" or public prices. They are usually quite different. I checked a few times yesterday and there were differences in rates between past passengers and new ones but signed in on both and they were the same.

I hate to disagree but it's likely you are not actually logged in. When I hit the Princess site with Firefox (or Chrome) it shows my name on the top of the site but it doesn't actually log me in. Just because it says "Welcome so and so" doesn't mean I am logged in. I don't see the" real" prices until I hit the link to login. If there is a link available to login then you are not currently logged in whether it shows your name or not. Clear your cookies and try again and be sure to manually log in.

Note: When properly logged in you should see the "Welcome so and so" message and a link next to it that says "Sign Out"

Edited by Thrak

Well what do you know...just checked both browsers again and the Princess website has a notice written in red "prices are not available right now"

It is the middle of the night right now I will check again tomorrow and see if corrections have been made:rolleyes:

Saturday night is the usual time Princess will update their web site for whatever needs to be updated.

Food for fodder. OK. So I checked Chrome and IE on this computer. Both the same. Then I check again using husband's computer (Firefox); still the same there too. And yes, I had to sign in each time to My Princess with each browser.

It's quite common to find variations in price on travel and auto insurance websites. There was quite an uproar with one travel site because mac users were paying 30% more for hotel rooms. Crome users seem to pay less overall, just keep this in mind a do a diligent search or let your TA handle it.

That's exactly what I think was happening - signed in on one of the browsers and not on the other.

Food for fodder. OK. So I checked Chrome and IE on this computer. Both the same. Then I check again using husband's computer (Firefox); still the same there too. And yes, I had to sign in each time to My Princess with each browser.

You are so right, I followed the advise of my smart fellow CC'ers and signed in to Princess on Chrome and IE. After doing a proper sign-in both browsers displayed the same lower price. Guess you are never to old to learn something new. The top of the Princess page always greeted me with "welcome Mrs..." so I assumed I was signed in on both servers since I never signed out. Now I know seeing my name is not enough. The internet can be very confusing to us seniors and I still feel the prices should be the same on all browsers regardless of being signed in or not. What if you are not a Princess cruiser and just want to check prices and don't have a Princess profile. Would you never be able to see the sale price and pay more then the rest of us?:eek:

I just checked our upcoming cruise (I use Firefox) and there was a message in the price box - sort of a come back later, we're working on it type thing. I think they may be in the middle of updating some stuff. I'm hoping for a price drop. :)

Here in the UK I've not been able to check any prices for any cruises for the last 3 weeks. Keeps saying in red prices not available check back later!

What if you are not a Princess cruiser and just want to check prices and don't have a Princess profile. Would you never be able to see the sale price and pay more then the rest of us?:eek:

That's correct, since those prices are for past Princess cruisers, only, and at least sometimes, their invitees. One of the perks.

You are so right, I followed the advise of my smart fellow CC'ers and signed in to Princess on Chrome and IE. After doing a proper sign-in both browsers displayed the same lower price. Guess you are never to old to learn something new. The top of the Princess page always greeted me with "welcome Mrs..." so I assumed I was signed in on both servers since I never signed out. Now I know seeing my name is not enough. The internet can be very confusing to us seniors and I still feel the prices should be the same on all browsers regardless of being signed in or not. What if you are not a Princess cruiser and just want to check prices and don't have a Princess profile. Would you never be able to see the sale price and pay more then the rest of us?:eek:

Agreed that it is confusing to see " Welcome Mrs Smith" and assume your profile is up and you are " signed in"..

i guess they get your name from your cookies or IP address. I got fooled before wondering why i couldn't see my sale prices one time so now I look carefully for " sign OUT " to know that I am " signed IN"

There should be a more transparent and secure way of the web page working. ..As in have no name welcome but just a blank space to log in with email address and password like most web sites..

THEN it can say " Welcome Mrs Smith".like most web sites, including banks, utilities etc.