Should X rename captains club levels

maxsales

In reading many post on various threads I notice that many people list their achieved membership rewards levels be it with Celebrity or any other cruise line. No problem there as a higher level indicates an experienced cruiser whose input may carry more weight

However it started me thinking about X and the names they have chosen, especially Elite and Elite Plus. I would like to see X change the names for those two levels. To me they sound quite pretentious. " Hello I am an Elite plus, and you are?" Smacks of being a wannabe member of some royal family.

Just wondering how others feel. :)

I see nothing wrong with the titles of the tiers. It is not the names that make people sound pretentious.

So tell me how does one say " I am a Elite plus" without it sounding pretentious? If you were to go up to someone not thoroughly versed in Celebrity cruise language say a first time cruiser and introduced yourself with that statement what would their initial thoughts be?

Just wondering. :)

So tell me how does one say " I am a Elite plus" without it sounding pretentious? If you were to go up to someone not thoroughly versed in Celebrity cruise language say a first time cruiser and introduced yourself with that statement what would their initial thoughts be?

I don't know of anyone who would introduce themselves in that manner. The only people who are hung up on this are those new cruisers who wish they had more trips under their belts.

The only time I see someone say I'm an Elite plus is on here, never met anyone onboard who stated their tier status unless asked. Those that would go up to another and say that they are Elite plus has nothing to do with the tier name, it has to do with the person who thinks they are better than everyone else and wants to brag about how many cruises they have been on. Thankfully, there are only a few of folks who feel this way and they are the ones on here who think that only their opinion counts because of the number of Celebrity cruises they have been on. I remember seeing a comment by one who told another poster to come back after 10 years and they would discuss the issue. Now that is being pretentious.

In reading many post on various threads I notice that many people list their achieved membership rewards levels be it with Celebrity or any other cruise line. No problem there as a higher level indicates an experienced cruiser whose input may carry more weight

However it started me thinking about X and the names they have chosen, especially Elite and Elite Plus. I would like to see X change the names for those two levels. To me they sound quite pretentious. " Hello I am an Elite plus, and you are?" Smacks of being a wannabe member of some royal family.

Just wondering how others feel. :)

I've been thinking the same. Since the top level is Zenith and Zenith was the name of a Celebrity ship I've come up with some ideas:

Select level: Horizon

Elite:Galaxy

Elite+: Summit

What do you think?

I think they ought to change Classic and Select.

Why should Select have their own (select) dining and Classic have their own (classic) drink package?

Edited by miched

I've been thinking the same. Since the top level is Zenith and Zenith was the name of a Celebrity ship I've come up with some ideas:

What do you think?

I have also suggested this. I think that in light of all the changes Celebrity needs to keep it's history in mind. Remembering former ships would be one way of doing that one HD told me that he really hated the "Elite+" designation. I agree. Hopefully they will think this through.

Much todo about nothing, no.

wallie, great minds think alike! That's pretty much what I thought when I saw this thread title. The names of the Captain's Club tiers wouldn't make my top 500 list of things to change about cruising - and I doubt I could even come up with 500 anyway!

To the OP, I wouldn't introduce myself by saying, "Hello, I am Select. And you are?". I would start with my name. ;) If someone asked what CC level I was, I would of course tell them - which would likely lead to talking about what cruises we'd been on.

I wouldn't hold your breath for any more changes. It took Celebrity months to come out with the new guidelines after months of speculation.

I'm betting they will change the names in 1 or 2 years to:

Gold

Platinum

Emerald

Diamond

Diamond Plus

Pinnacle

Yes, these are the same levels as RCI.

I have been observing over the last year how X and RCI have been starting to align benefits, perks and operational efforts, much like Continental Airlines started to do 2 years prior to their merger with United. And with Bailey's focus on operations, seems a natural progression to drive loyalty to both brands.

I think X will remain a standalone brand much like the X/Azamara brands share a loyalty program now.

Another company that did this was Marriott 20 years or so ago, they used to have separate loyalty programs for Courtyard (Courtyard Club), Fairfield Inn (INNSiders) and Marriott Hotels (Marriott Rewards). They finally pulled them altogether into a single loyalty program, streamlining the administration and delivery of benefits and enticing former brand loyalists to try the other brands under the Marriott umbrella.

Edited by cle-guy

Elite Plus sounds like an extra fluffy size elite. But it basically means you now get to line up at Bacio for better tea and coffee, with desert size calorie counts.

It's interesting that some of the rci designations sound like princess ships. And pinnacle is the name of HAL specialty resturant.

It's very simple and really no problem. I would never introduce myself in such a fashion. In fact I never mention my standing on X, or my education, or my income, or the size of my house, or...or...or...

Edited by BosoxI

Based on the outrage exhibited here when the new points system was adopted, here are my suggested name changes:

Classic = Whiner Jr.

Select = Whiner Sr.

Elite = Sorta Satisfied

Elite Plus = We're Special

Zenith = We're Superior

:D;)

Based on the outrage exhibited here when the new points system was adopted, here are my suggested name changes:

Classic = Whiner Jr.

Select = Whiner Sr.

Elite = Sorta Satisfied

Elite Plus = We're Special

Zenith = We're Superior

:D;)

LOL!!! :D:p

I think Celebrity has enough change and confusion going on for now...but maybe in the future they can poll it or have a contest like they do for ship's names...

anything to promote harmony among their customers. Sometimes I feel like there's war going on...

The gems and metals are taken by Royal C . I'd love to see them aligned but if not, I am sure something nice is out there..

I never hear folks mentioning their levels unless making sure they get their perks and coupons correctly...those internet minutes and free laundry perks are a big plus!!

Edited by hcat

What do you think?

I like it!

I have also suggested this. I think that in light of all the changes Celebrity needs to keep it's history in mind. Remembering former ships would be one way of doing that one HD told me that he really hated the "Elite+" designation. I agree. Hopefully they will think this through.

Good idea, Charles -- and, they've already got one good compass point in "Zenith". Much better than RC's "Pinnacle" -- I get dizzy just thinking about that. What would be your choices for the other levels? Obviously, "Horizon" has to be in there, somewhere. :cool:

I think Celebrity has enough change and confusion going on for now...but maybe in the future they can poll it or have a contest like they do for ship's names...

anything to promote harmony among their customers. Sometimes I feel like there's war going on...

The gems and metals are taken by Royal C . I'd love to see them aligned but if not, I am sure something nice is out there..

I never hear folks mentioning their levels unless making sure they get their perks and coupons correctly...those internet minutes and free laundry perks are a big plus!!

This is all lost on me. The OP was concerned that people introduce themselves pretentiously by saying " Hi, I'm Elite+ and you are..." so in the future they would say "Hi, I'm Horizon and you are..." What's the difference? Pretentious people will always be pretentious and jealous people will always be jealous. What's new?

A key requirement of a "name" or "designation," is that it should provide an accurate and unambiguous description of the group being named.

Therefore, I would propose the CC levels be re-named...

Chattle Level... Those who have accumulated fewer than 36 points.

Peon Level... Those who have accumulated at least 36 points.

Prole Level... Those who have accumulated at least 300 points.

Illustrious Level...Those who have accumulated at least 750 points

ANOITED Level... Those who have accumulated enough points that EVERONE *K*N*O*W*S* that they are The Chosen Few

The unique and simplist way for Celebrity to handle it would be to use X's (chi) to denote the level.

X

XX

XXX

XXXX

XXXXX

When they need to add a new level just add another X.

🚢