Should X rename captains club levels

maxsales

I would rather they hire enough people to answer the phones so no one has to wait over 35 minutes. This, IMO, would be a win-win for the company and the person needing and wanting information. I really don't care about the levels, as they only add to the game and the players. Information is power!:) I am not overly concerned about those who communicate their Celebrity status; however, if it makes them feel good, please go right ahead and communicate it. It is no different than those who acknowledge how many posts they have made on CC or how many cruises they have accumulated...that is our cruise society. You don't have to, but if it makes you feel better, just do it! Life is way too short and change, for some people, is very hard to deal with and is upsetting. We have trouble with it and definitely without it, but it really is the only constant!

Edited by Lastdance

Cruise critic is such small sample size of the total number of cruisers, I think the OP's view is skewed. Allowing a few people on this board who complain, to represent the view of many, is flawed.

Good idea, Charles -- and, they've already got one good compass point in "Zenith". Much better than RC's "Pinnacle" -- I get dizzy just thinking about that. What would be your choices for the other levels? Obviously, "Horizon" has to be in there, somewhere. :cool:

Hope all is well. It really doesn't matter to me what ships they choose to remember or in what order. What might be important is the symbolism. Celebrity is changing. Some of the changes might work out well, some might not. There is a closer relationship developing between Celebrity and the parent company with people moving from one company to the other. The entire cruise industry is changing in order to attract future customers, especially higher spenders. Just the nature of the animal.a focus on the record of the past can become a good marketing strategy for Celebrity. I've discussed this with some on the ships and they appear to agree that something is needed. Celebrity does read these threads and perhaps that will think about it.

In reading many post on various threads I notice that many people list their achieved membership rewards levels be it with Celebrity or any other cruise line. No problem there as a higher level indicates an experienced cruiser whose input may carry more weight

However it started me thinking about X and the names they have chosen, especially Elite and Elite Plus. I would like to see X change the names for those two levels. To me they sound quite pretentious. " Hello I am an Elite plus, and you are?" Smacks of being a wannabe member of some royal family.

Just wondering how others feel. :)

Who cares what name a company gives to the loyalty members?

I have never introduced myself using the CC category, ( or any other cruise line category ) and lucky have never met anyone who introduced themselves as such.

I tend to say, "Hello, I am MXXXX. Very nice to meet you." I don’t know if I am speaking to someone on their first or 100th cruise, and does it really matter? Conversely, they also don’t know, and I’m sure don’t care, how many cruises I’ve been on.

I have used the Celebrity or RCI category on cruise critic in a few posts when the question pertains to that specific category. I don’t use my loyalty category or number of cruise night/points in the cc signature line.

Who cares?

M

Other than them doing it to perhaps unify the naming conventions with RCI, I would see it as a total waste of marketing dollars.

Marketeers want their "elite" levels to sound pretentious and/or special.

Remember when it was a big deal to have a gold credit card? Then Platimum, Then Ruby, Then Diamond, Then Black?? They all basically mean the same thing. It was just what sounded "elite" at the time!!

Cruise critic is such small sample size of the total number of cruisers, I think the OP's view is skewed. Allowing a few people on this board who complain, to represent the view of many, is flawed.

My view is not skewed! I simply don't like the title Elite or Elite plus. I find it very pretentious nothing skewed about that. It is my opinion and I asked the question to see how others feel.

Maybe it doesn't bother most, that's okay. But when I see a line labeled Elite it annoys me. Here is the dictionary definition of the word Elite.

1. A group or class of persons or a member of such a group or class, enjoying superior intellectual, social, or economic status.
  2. The best or most skilled members of a group

What other then going on more cruises makes cruisers Elite by that definition.

Why are the names important? They are meaningless. When Elite was top level, it meant something. Elite is now 3rd level out of 5....not what elite means? I am confused. A lot of people would be happy if they rethought the number of points/credits needed for advancing to a higher level. 300 points gets you to the elite level. Next level is 750 points. It is so far away from reality for most people. And the 3000 points for Zenith level is way out of reach. For many cruisers who had been elite, they are now 3rd class out of 5. Not sure if adding 2 higher levels really excited people. It may have had a negative effect.

Why are the names important? They are meaningless. When Elite was top level, it meant something. Elite is now 3rd level out of 5....not what elite means? I am confused. A lot of people would be happy if they rethought the number of points/credits needed for advancing to a higher level. 300 points gets you to the elite level. Next level is 750 points. It is so far away from reality for most people. And the 3000 points for Zenith level is way out of reach. For many cruisers who had been elite, they are now 3rd class out of 5. Not sure if adding 2 higher levels really excited people. It may have had a negative effect.

Even if Elite's are 3rd class, your words not mine, they still received some pretty good perks. If Celebrity were to make the qualifying numbers smaller for the other tiers, then there would be the same complaining as there was before...there are too many in this tier or it is too easy to become this tier or the events are too crowded.

This topic has been discussed many times.. often by people who are envious of anyone who has something that they don't.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1959148&highlight=elite

A rose by any other name would smell.... you can finish the line.

Celebrity is not going to change the names that they have used for over 20 years to satisfy those who dislike the terms used.

Princess has Elite, Marriott has Elite.. just to name a couple of other companies.. referring to those who just enjoy the product a bit more than those who don't.

Google "companies with elite benefits" and see how many others use the same term.

It's a name, not an insult, not a superior class. It just means more free drinks, and internet, and laundry and a wonderful experience no matter what you call it.

The future is longer than the past and it would make sense to make at least the change from Elite Plus to something else.

I also agree that you do not want/need more confusion, so I would think waiting might make sense till there is a need for further changes.

Personally, I have NEVER heard anyone introduce themselves via their Captains Club level. I have seen people on Royal wearing their level pins, which did surprise me at times, but then again, Royal gave them to wear. Mine, my choice, is somewhere is one of my drawers at home.

My view is not skewed! I simply don't like the title Elite or Elite plus. I find it very pretentious nothing skewed about that. It is my opinion and I asked the question to see how others feel.

I meant skewed from the majority opinion, which I believe it is.

The unique and simplist way for Celebrity to handle it would be to use X's (chi) to denote the level.

X

XX

XXX

XXXX

XXXXX

When they need to add a new level just add another X.

It works for HAL with their Star Mariners. However, I don't think I'd want to be classified as XXX. My husband, on the other hand, would probably get a kick out of it. :D

The unique and simplist way for Celebrity to handle it would be to use X's (chi) to denote the level.

X

XX

XXX

XXXX

XXXXX

When they need to add a new level just add another X. 🚢

I would like to be demoted and stay on the Triple X designation.

I can imagine the complaints by the prim and proper crowd when they get awarded a XXX rating?

I think that Celebrity should add a level between Elite + and Zenith. Zenith isn't obtainable for most people, and it would be nice to have an achievable Captains Club level after Elite + to look forward to.

They can call it whatever they like!

I think that Celebrity should add a level between Elite + and Zenith. Zenith isn't obtainable for most people, and it would be nice to have an achievable Captains Club level after Elite + to look forward to.

They can call it whatever they like!

Same type of spread with RCI and according to RCI brass it is on purpose so that the highest group is recognized for their extreme loyalty.

Now, RCI does have an extra loyalty gift for those approx 1/3 and 2/3 the way from diamond plus to pinnacle, but the category still remains diamond plus.

M

In reading many post on various threads I notice that many people list their achieved membership rewards levels be it with Celebrity or any other cruise line. No problem there as a higher level indicates an experienced cruiser whose input may carry more weight

However it started me thinking about X and the names they have chosen, especially Elite and Elite Plus. I would like to see X change the names for those two levels. To me they sound quite pretentious. " Hello I am an Elite plus, and you are?" Smacks of being a wannabe member of some royal family.

Just wondering how others feel. :)

Pretentious as opposed to Politically correct?

Just enjoy your cruise and enjoy the perks at what ever level.

We hit Elite many years ago and when we did we were surprised as we knew nothing about the levels or the perks. We simply cruised X because we enjoyed the ships.

To many people cruise like coupon clippers, the discounted price and freebies are more important then the cruise for others it is the designations awarded so they only cruise one line.

The more you cruise the less important the designations mean.

So tell me how does one say " I am a Elite plus" without it sounding pretentious? If you were to go up to someone not thoroughly versed in Celebrity cruise language say a first time cruiser and introduced yourself with that statement what would their initial thoughts be?

Just wondering. :)

Why do you need to introduce yourself by identifying your tier level, who cares but the person labeling themselves with it.

Just don't do that and "your" problem is solved.

When I see a line labeled Elite it annoys me.

I get enraged by this as well but what really upsets me now that I am retired is that I can no longer fly Business class!

I feel for those that are unemployed who are confronted by the designation as they board their flight for their vacation. Lets change the name.

I have cruised about 8 other cruise lines and done about 40 cruises now, I don't bother to count.

I am Elite on X but do not envy or feel diminished if I meet an Elite + cruiser on my next cruise I will converse with them and hope they have cruised some other lines and can supply me a new insight into cruising.

Oh damn on my next X cruise I hit Elite Plus !