Trouble securing room upgrade with price drop - suggestions/comments?

I am booked in a Category G room on Majesty of the Seas. This weekend a Superior Oceanview room dropped to what I originally paid for the Cat G. In fact the Cat G is now priced MORE than the Superior OV room. I called my TA yesterday who called Royal and Royal would NOT allow the room change from G to the SOV room.

I am not in a group rate room (I was originally offered a group rate discount room but did not like the location). There IS a C&A savings certificate applied to the reservation, but since it is oceanview to oceanview the amount should not change.

It has been my understanding that Royal would provide a room upgrade after final payment on price drops. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions in how to handle this. I can't see any reason for them not allowing this change but if there was a change in policy that someone else is aware of I'd be glad to know.

Did they give you a reason for denying the upgrade? I know that upgrades have been denied in the past if the price of the upgraded stateroom was restricted to new bookings.

Edited by clarea

I just went through this this past week. I was in a Category Q Inside room on the Liberty of the Seas and the price dropped to the point where I could get into a Category L for $30 less per person.

Royal gave me a difficult time as well and it really caught me off guard! Finally they spoke to management and "upgraded" me to the category L room, but would not give me the difference in price back as OBC.

If you are a part of C&A I would use that as part of your argument.

I was told the price was a mistake and would be taken off the website. It is not an unusually low price and in fact is still advertised today at that price as a hot deal. They never said anything about being restricted to new bookings.

I may have to lean on the TA a bit and get them to push this a bit harder. I'm getting a little burned out on Royal's games. If the policy after final payment is to provide an upgrade based on price drops, great. Apply the policy equally or clearly explain when or why the policy doesn't apply.

I half expect my next call to be met with the excuse of "Sorry, we can't process the upgrade due to solar flare and the current tide height in Miami."

I just went through this this past week. I was in a Category Q Inside room on the Liberty of the Seas and the price dropped to the point where I could get into a Category L for $30 less per person.

Royal gave me a difficult time as well and it really caught me off guard! Finally they spoke to management and "upgraded" me to the category L room, but would not give me the difference in price back as OBC.

If you are a part of C&A I would use that as part of your argument.

If you are past final payment there is no chance of any refund or OBC. Only an upgrade.

I was told the price was a mistake and would be taken off the website. It is not an unusually low price and in fact is still advertised today at that price as a hot deal. They never said anything about being restricted to new bookings.

I may have to lean on the TA a bit and get them to push this a bit harder. I'm getting a little burned out on Royal's games. If the policy after final payment is to provide an upgrade based on price drops, great. Apply the policy equally or clearly explain when or why the policy doesn't apply.

I half expect my next call to be met with the excuse of "Sorry, we can't process the upgrade due to solar flare and the current tide height in Miami."

Totally agree. Seems like they make up the rules as they go along. I would definitely call back as you could very well get a different response depending on who you talk to.

Many people have reported the mysterious "weekend sales" as a reason for denial of an upgrade.

Unfortunately there is no where to get a list of these weekend sales.

You make a great point. Maybe it is restricted due to this sort of sale (which I have benefited from in the past) but it is not advertised as a special weekend rate. If Royal said the price was a mistake don't you think they would haven taken it down 24 hours later?

I sent in another email to my TA. If per Royal's policy I should be able to upgrade to a significantly larger room at no out of pocket expense that is what I want to do. If the "price mistake" was a bogus explanation (which it almost certainly was) then I'd simply like a clear explanation and understanding going forward.

What a great reason, they can use that anytime they want! :rolleyes: Ridiculous.

Edited by clarea

I completely agree with you. And I think excuses like the website price being a mistake is totally bogus. If it is a mistake then RCI should either fix their IT department or they should honor their mistakes. Try doing a booking on an on-line site and see if you come up with the same price as RCI's "mistake".

What a great reason, they can use that anytime they want! :rolleyes: Ridiculous.

And the pricing is not even out of line for an Oceanview room; that is to say it is not SO low as to be unbelievable; it is definitely within the range of what SOV rooms go for. If it were listed as $50, sure, that could be a genuine mistake and they would not honor it, but this is not the case I feel.

I have sent an email to my TA who has always been efficient at getting back to me. Today is a holiday (and happy holiday to all who celebrate) I do not necessarily expect a response today and will not go to extreme lengths to make anyone crazy over this, but when / if I do get a response via Royal I'll follow up.

There is already a game for made up rules on the fly, it is called Calvinball. It is hysterical in Calvin and Hobbes, yet not nearly as funny when playing it with money :D

And the pricing is not even out of line for an Oceanview room; that is to say it is not SO low as to be unbelievable; it is definitely within the range of what SOV rooms go for. If it were listed as $50, sure, that could be a genuine mistake and they would not honor it, but this is not the case I feel.

I have sent an email to my TA who has always been efficient at getting back to me. Today is a holiday (and happy holiday to all who celebrate) I do not necessarily expect a response today and will not go to extreme lengths to make anyone crazy over this, but when / if I do get a response via Royal I'll follow up.

There is already a game for made up rules on the fly, it is called Calvinball. It is hysterical in Calvin and Hobbes, yet not nearly as funny when playing it with money :D

You might have to wait for the resolutions people. I think they have more limited hours.

Edited by clarea

Make sure you take a screen shot of the price now - to prove it was not a mistake and remains on the site. They record calls, so you should refer to the bogus "mistake" excuse being recorded and offer to email the proof that the prices still up. That might give them more incentive to correct your booking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Make sure you take a screen shot of the price now - to prove it was not a mistake and remains on the site. They record calls, so you should refer to the bogus "mistake" excuse being recorded and offer to email the proof that the prices still up. That might give them more incentive to correct your booking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great point. I did just do that and forwarded the screen grab to my TA

You might have to wait for the resolutions people. I think they have more limited hours.

Thanks for your input. Besides the holiday I was not sure if resolutions was open. I forwarded a screen grab to my TA and will sit tight.

I'm really not steaming mad or anything, I just want to gain the benefit of RCI's policy as has been explained and put in practice in the past.

Now, if they come back and say "Oh, yes, we SHOULD have honored it Saturday or Sunday, but now it is Monday and we can't, even with the proof" that will be a whole different story.

Thanks for your input. Besides the holiday I was not sure if resolutions was open. I forwarded a screen grab to my TA and will sit tight.

I'm really not steaming mad or anything, I just want to gain the benefit of RCI's policy as has been explained and put in practice in the past.

Now, if they come back and say "Oh, yes, we SHOULD have honored it Saturday or Sunday, but now it is Monday and we can't, even with the proof" that will be a whole different story.

Put a 24 hr courtesy hold on one of the cabins so that they don't all get sold prior to Monday.

When it comes down to it, a hold will carry more weight than a screen shot.

I sent the screen shot to the TA and told what room I put a courtesy hold on in case Royal tries to say no rooms available (although there are a lot on the RCI website currently). I also stipulated I would not take the move if it means loss of OBC (no reason it should as the OBC was from the TA). I also had a savings certificate applied before it expired back in March. So I won't give up any of that either.

I never try to get over on companies and don't feel like I am now. I play by policy and just want to be treated the same as anyone else would expect to be. Great suggestions and comments on this forum; very helpful. Thanks again everyone and will inform you as to the outcome.

I sent the screen shot to the TA and told what room I put a courtesy hold on in case Royal tries to say no rooms available (although there are a lot on the RCI website currently). I also stipulated I would not take the move if it means loss of OBC (no reason it should as the OBC was from the TA). I also had a savings certificate applied before it expired back in March. So I won't give up any of that either.

I never try to get over on companies and don't feel like I am now. I play by policy and just want to be treated the same as anyone else would expect to be. Great suggestions and comments on this forum; very helpful. Thanks again everyone and will inform you as to the outcome.

You don't come across as trying to put anything over on the company. It seems you are simply trying to obtain what you have a right to according to RCI's rules of the game. And it most certainly should not cost you your OBC or your C&A certificate discount. RCI makes the rules. They need to start playing by them.