Which line(s) wouldn't you cruise with?

Velvetwater

For some of us, excellent service is only one aspect of a cruise. While NCL may provide excellent service, the rest of the product is unappealing to many of us (as evidenced in every "worst cruise line thread" I have ever read, including this one with 481 responses http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1481929&highlight=worst+cruiseline).

No one I have ever talked to who cruises NCL would ever call it an "elegant" experience. Instead, what they describe isn't much different than hanging out at the mall or local water park, both of which I can experience any weekend at home. I have never read on these boards anyone saying that they felt the experience was unique. Instead they seemed excited about how much the experience resembled what they usually enjoy anywhere else they go for vacation, and how little difference there is from what they would typically do on summer weekends.

There are many of us who see cruising as unique and special, something over and above our normal activities. We want something different, something rewarding, something we will remember. We tend to avoid those cruise lines that minimize those traits by designing their product to be too much like the same thing we can have at home.

Interesting note: about a third of the way through the thread mentioned above someone counted the votes for "worst" cruise line. That voting trend stayed pretty much consistent for the rest of the thread. Here is that count:

#1 - CARNIVAL = 35

#2 - NCL = 33

#3 - ROYAL CARIBBEAN = 11

#4 - MSC = 6

#5 - HAL = 5

Tied for sixth place:

#6 - CELEBRITY = 1

#6 - DISNEY = 1

#6 - PRINCESS = 1

Its interesting that the top 3 are actually the amongst biggest cruise lines in the industry.

Does this mean cruise critic (or at least this forum) attracts cruisers who prefer traditional cruising rather than big family style ships with all the bells and whistles?

Furthermore, would this change in 10-20 years time?

Its interesting that the top 3 are actually the amongst biggest cruise lines in the industry.

Does this mean cruise critic (or at least this forum) attracts cruisers who prefer traditional cruising rather than big family style ships with all the bells and whistles?

I think cruise critic has, on average, a larger group of more sophisticated cruisers with a lot more cruising experience than the general public vacationer/cruisers out there.

We would never consider Carnival and NCL. After one Carnival cruise, we knew that line was not for us - too much like a cheap Las Vegas resort hotel. As for NCL, it's too much like a week at the local mall/amusement park. Too causal, and devoid of that "something special" feeling. We prefer to cruise on lines that give us a more upscale experience that we don't often enjoy at home.

We enjoy Carnival and NCL because they give us a casual experience. Upscale is not us...at home or away. We are casual people who like casual things. But we do enjoy things we don't get at home on Carnival and NCL. Like a balcony overlooking the ocean where I can get total relaxation. Someone cooking, cleaning, and serving us 24/7. Some form of entertainment every evening without having to drive an hour or more each way to get to it. Transportation to/from exotic places without having to pack/unpack with every stop. We don't get any of these things at home. A perfect example of why it is good to have different types of cruise lines to choose from. You can find a ship that offers that "upscale" experience you desire and we can find a ship that offers that "casual" experience we desire. Win-win for everyone:D.

For some of us, excellent service is only one aspect of a cruise. While NCL may provide excellent service, the rest of the product is unappealing to many of us (as evidenced in every "worst cruise line thread" I have ever read, including this one with 481 responses http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1481929&highlight=worst+cruiseline).

No one I have ever talked to who cruises NCL would ever call it an "elegant" experience. Instead, what they describe isn't much different than hanging out at the mall or local water park, both of which I can experience any weekend at home. I have never read on these boards anyone saying that they felt the experience was unique. Instead they seemed excited about how much the experience resembled what they usually enjoy anywhere else they go for vacation, and how little difference there is from what they would typically do on summer weekends.

There are many of us who see cruising as unique and special, something over and above our normal activities. We want something different, something rewarding, something we will remember. We tend to avoid those cruise lines that minimize those traits by designing their product to be too much like the same thing we can have at home.

Interesting note: about a third of the way through the thread mentioned above someone counted the votes for "worst" cruise line. That voting trend stayed pretty much consistent for the rest of the thread. Here is that count:

#1 - CARNIVAL = 35

#2 - NCL = 33

#3 - ROYAL CARIBBEAN = 11

#4 - MSC = 6

#5 - HAL = 5

Tied for sixth place:

#6 - CELEBRITY = 1

#6 - DISNEY = 1

#6 - PRINCESS = 1

I would never compare any of my cruises to "anywhere else I go on vacation" let alone a "typical summer week-end". I can't say I've read anything like that on the NCL or CCL boards either :rolleyes:. It makes me wonder what a "typical summer week-end" is for you to think most people feel that way. I don't know any people that would think that about a cruise vacation.

Edited by Warm Breezes

It's funny that you think those biggest cruise lines offer "all the bells and whistles", when part of why I would avoid them is because they *don't* offer the bells and whistles -- well, not the bells and whistles I like or want. Different strokes for different folks...........

Our favorite is Princess, followed closely by Holland America and then Celebrity. While I'll never say never to another Carnival or Norwegian cruise, they're way down on my list. We took a Carnival one two years ago. It was DH's first time on Carnival and my second. My first cruise was on a Carnival ship in the 1980s with my ex. While it was great to be able to drive to the port (Charleston), the negatives of the older ship and Carnival made us realize that we'd rather not do it again.

The top 3 being the biggest is hardly surprising. They are simply the "massest" of the mass market. McDonalds is one of the most frequented eateries in the country, yet I would imagine they would rank fairly low on many people's list of favorites. Similarly Walmart draws a whole lot of shoppers, but are unlikely to be many people's favorite shopping experience.

Cheap is good, but experiencing cheap is not always the best.

Hey just wondered if theres any company you would avoid either through rumour or a bad experience.

Not a bashing thread, just interested to hear peoples opinions and valid reasons

Naturally I would take any free cruise but I would never book a HAL/Seabourn/Windstar et al cruise. I feel like I am a bit too young for those types of lines. For similar reasons I would not do a river cruise either.

thoughts?

NCL is not for us ...

From reading these posts I'm assuming that most the posters (and probably most of CC as a whole) are older (55+) more well off ($80K a year plus) empty nesters that like "traditional" cruises on smaller ships which is why Carnival, NCL and RCCL are on the top 3 do not sail list, especially if they have 3K pax or more. I'm willing to bet that if your normal family were to say what lines they wouldn't cruise on (if they could afford multiple cruises to try out) they would say that they didn't like the smaller ships or the luxury, up-scale sailing because there wasn't anything for their family (especially the kids to do) and that they go on vacation to let loose and have fun and not be expected to be dressed up all the time.

I personally am a single 35 year old male with a moderate income that can cruise once a year. I sail solo most the time so Disney is no my do not sail list, as are ships under 3K pax, and ships/ lines that target older and more upscale passengers. I'm a people watcher, I like to have a good time and I like to be on ships that have plenty to do. Each cruiser is different which is why there are so many lines with so many ship classes.

It's funny that you think those biggest cruise lines offer "all the bells and whistles", when part of why I would avoid them is because they *don't* offer the bells and whistles -- well, not the bells and whistles I like or want. Different strokes for different folks...........

Thats true,

For me its all about the fun experiences rather than the refined ones.

I will take a rope course/surf experience over a silver service dinner/champers in the room on arrival/own butler any day.

:D

From reading these posts I'm assuming that most the posters (and probably most of CC as a whole) are older (55+) more well off ($80K a year plus) empty nesters that like "traditional" cruises on smaller ships which is why Carnival, NCL and RCCL are on the top 3 do not sail list, especially if they have 3K pax or more. I'm willing to bet that if your normal family were to say what lines they wouldn't cruise on (if they could afford multiple cruises to try out) they would say that they didn't like the smaller ships or the luxury, up-scale sailing because there wasn't anything for their family (especially the kids to do) and that they go on vacation to let loose and have fun and not be expected to be dressed up all the time.

I personally am a single 35 year old male with a moderate income that can cruise once a year. I sail solo most the time so Disney is no my do not sail list, as are ships under 3K pax, and ships/ lines that target older and more upscale passengers. I'm a people watcher, I like to have a good time and I like to be on ships that have plenty to do. Each cruiser is different which is why there are so many lines with so many ship classes.

Very good points, especially about the older cruise market which is why I wondered about what cruising will look like in 20 years time.

I am not sure I agree on the money factor though. Over on the RCL and CCL boards you see cruisers that notch up 4-5 and more cruises a year which means they must have a healthy income. I agree with their logic though as I would rather spend 30-40 days at sea on a less luxurious line for the same price as spending 9 on a luxury one.

Our Income is around the 80K mark and we sail Carnival because its got a good balance of everything (however only sailed with them in Europe....not experienced a 7 day normal Caribbean voyage) and none of behaviour we had heard about and everyone really went to town on elegant nights etc. We also cruise for tasting new countries the easy way and the ship and its features are just a way of getting there. Its highly likely we would jump to another line if they were cheaper and had a better range of ports.

Edited by Velvetwater

Thats true,

I will take a rope course/surf experience over a silver service dinner/champers in the room on arrival/own butler any day.

Are you saying that a silver service dinner isn't fun??? :eek::D

Thats true,

Some of us outgrew the need to play with macho type toys many years ago. Now we prefer fine wine instead of cheap beer, gourmet meals instead of fast food, elegant surroundings instead of strip mall decor, and long, quiet strolls along a promenade deck instead of waiting in line for a short ride on a water slide. We did all of those lesser things a long time ago at places close to home instead of taking an expensive cruise to do them. ;)

Edited by swsfrail

From everything I've read on these boards, I would probably never go on NCL or Carnival. I'm scheduled on RCCL this fall, so I'll have to reserve judgement on that, although I've been led to believe it's just slightly better than the other two. I almost want to add HAL because, even though it was a very nice experience, with the exception of a couple of faux pas in the dining room, the bulk of the crowd was very, very, old. I don't need a disco until 7 AM, but would like to see some passengers up and about after 9 PM.

Some of us outgrew the need to play with macho type toys many years ago. Now we prefer fine wine instead of cheap beer, gourmet meals instead of fast food, elegant surroundings instead of strip mall decor, and long, quiet strolls along a promenade deck instead of waiting in line for a short ride on a water slide. We did all of those lesser things a long time ago at places close to home instead of taking an expensive cruise to do them. ;)

Seconded - taking the time to savor quality leaves less time for glitz and novelty.

I'm open to sailing on multiple lines, but I think for now, Carnival and HAL are on my absolute no list. I'm in my 30's, I'm just not HAL's demographic. As far as Carnival goes, I just don't have interest in their product. I sail NCL and adore it. I'm looking forward to trying RCCL and Celebrity at some point.

This may sound odd. I have cruised five different cruise lines, most I have enjoyed, they were all mainstream, Carnival, Holland America, NCL, Princess and Royal Carribean. So many things are more alike than different on mainstream cruise lines.

I have taken two regular cruises on HAL, and four full charter cruises on

HAL. I would never set foot on a HAL ship for a regular cruise. Dark, depressing ships. Not the cleanest out there, to downright dirty on the 2013 charter on the Nieuw Amsterdam. The service overall is dreadful from the management, we had serious issues on the Zaandam , Maasdam and Nieuw Amsterdam, and really hit or miss from the crew. Nothing nasty from the crew, they try hard, but aren't as well trained as crews on other lines.

The two regular cruises we were on (one was super cheap, the other my in laws booked) we were by far, decades (40, 50 and 60 decades!) younger than most of the other cruisers.

I must laugh when I hear the cheerleaders rave about HAL.

I only go on HAL for a the charter. So I am not basing my aversion to HAL on what I have "heard" from my mother's cousin's aunt. Or a cruise that I took 15 years ago. On a ship that was sold 12 years ago. If you don't like a cruise line, try to give real, recent experiences.

Edited by sun~

Being a very casual person, I like a very casual cruise. I travel solo and feel stupid walking around all dressed up.. Lol. So for that reason I would avoid all of the high end cruises.. Though I've never been... To expensive for me. Food is not important because I'm always on a diet, so I happen to like NCL. I don't like to be with a lot of kids, so I'd avoid Disney as well. I think the mainstream companies are all pretty comparable, so I look at itinerary and price, trying to get the most bang for the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey just wondered if theres any company you would avoid either through rumour or a bad experience.

Not a bashing thread, just interested to hear peoples opinions and valid reasons

Naturally I would take any free cruise but I would never book a HAL/Seabourn/Windstar et al cruise. I feel like I am a bit too young for those types of lines. For similar reasons I would not do a river cruise either.

thoughts?

Well, I have read through most of the postings and will put my two cents worth into the mix! I probably haven't cruised as much as most of the people responding, but have been on 7 cruises with #8 coming up in July. My first six cruises were on Carnival. I have never had any problems on any of the cruises I have taken with them - and I was on the Carnival Triumph twice before it had the problems last year. #7 was on HAL Zuiderdam this past November and I wasn't as impressed with this line as people led me to believe. I will be 65 in two days and I found the crowd on HAL to be too old for me. Yes, there were some younger guests, but I found that most people were in their 60's on up. And the "streets roll up" about 9 p.m. except for the BB King Jazz Club. But it didn't have the "party" atmosphere that I love and the reason I take a cruise. I lead a "boring" life and love to let my hair down and have fun on a cruise. Love the crazy games and activities and just didn't see much of that on the HAL cruise. The only reason we are sailing HAL in July is because of the Alaska itinerary they offer. After that...it is back to Carnival I go!!

Some of us outgrew the need to play with macho type toys many years ago. Now we prefer fine wine instead of cheap beer, gourmet meals instead of fast food, elegant surroundings instead of strip mall decor

As a European a lot of those things are close to home and easily available anyway. Its easy for me to be in Paris/Bruges/London within hours and get all the yummy stuff pretty cheap as theres no logistics charge.

Im spoilt in that regard but the adrenaline junkie in me never dies. Im not thirty yet but I can't really see that fading. Sometimes I have thought the reason I am attracted to budget US cruise lines is that it really is a culture shock for me and quite like that feeling and I think my hubby might feel the same way.

Different types I guess. ;)

We would never consider Carnival and NCL. After one Carnival cruise, we knew that line was not for us - too much like a cheap Las Vegas resort hotel. As for NCL, it's too much like a week at the local mall/amusement park. Too causal, and devoid of that "something special" feeling. We prefer to cruise on lines that give us a more upscale experience that we don't often enjoy at home.

I can't see myself going on a NCL cruise. After our one experience with Anytime Dining a couple of cruises ago (as we didn't clear the waitlist for traditional), we found it nothing special. We could go to a restaurant around home and have the same experience. I like having the waitstaff greeting me with my plate of lemons (a really good waiter will listen at the first meal and get to know those little touches we like...and keep a record). I don't want to pay extra just to have a decent meal.

For any cruises of at least 7 days or longer (and we now look at longer than even that), Royal and Celebrity would be off of our list because of the lack of self-service laundries. We've been trying to wear as many items more than once to cut down on luggage, but we want allergen free detergent so the ship's laundry service is out.

Not fond of the "stuff the bikini" or "hairy chest" or "lipsync using a banana" activities which I've been subjected to on Carnival.

Not fond of the "stuff the bikini" or "hairy chest" or "lipsync using a banana" activities which I've been subjected to on Carnival.

Agree. These may be fun for a backyard pool party in the summer, but on a cruise - no way! When I'm on a cruise, I want a better experience than I can have at home. I want something over and above what I can get by driving down to the local public pool or strip mall. What's the sense in taking a cruise if all you want to do is the same stuff you can do at home? :confused:

Edited by SantaFeFan

Have never tried Carnival but I feel like anything Kathie Lee is/was the spokesperson for is probably not my thing. Also heard too many private horror stories (not to mention the public/televised ones from the past couple years).

I would probably try almost any other line if the itinerary/price/timing were right. Although my parents, who are in their late 60s, tell me HAL is too slow, even for them. That being said, they (and I) love Celebrity even though some may view it as a little stiff.

Disney would be the one I wouldn't really want to go back on. RCCL is the next. The best cruises we have had have been on Carnival. Haven't seen a lot of the things that others have talked about so maybe it is because of the time of year we go and the length of time we do. We have had excellent service and food on Carnival. Princess is the next line that we look forward to after Carnival. And we are in our late 50's and early 60's. We don't drink and we don't smoke and in all our cruises we have only seen 2 people who had had too much to drink. And they were being taken back to their cabins by a family member and not causing a problem.

RCCL we ran into too many people saving chairs everywhere and being very verbal and abusive if you tried to sit down in an empty chair. I am not very tall (4' 8") and some of these people really scared me. It really did put a damper on my cruise as I was getting afraid to go to event or show. I have never had a problem on Carnival or Princess. My diet was really looked after on Carnival, somewhat on Princess and not at all on RCCL or Disney.

tigercat