Inside vs. window....

Right now I am planning to cruise on the freedom in 2015 to western caribbean. I wanted a balcony but not willing to pay almost 4000 for three people. Would you prefer an outside room with a window or an inside room? Also, what are the best decks on the Freedom ship? Thanks!

I hear you. It's hard to justify the $$ of a balcony sometimes. Oceanview with a window is also really lovely, and you can always go on deck if you want to be outside!

There is nothing wrong with inside cabins either, you don't feel the ship rock as much, especially on a lower floor.

I guess it depends on how much time you spend in the room. I would go for the oceanview :-)

I much prefer having a window. If not, I wake up and don't know if it's morning yet and this seems to mess with my sleep. You can always request a wakeup call though to help with that.

Edited by royalcruz

We have had Insides, Window cabins and Balconies, a Balcony is a nice to have but on our last cruise we did not use it a lot apart from having a look out in the mornings, I have the best nights sleep in an inside as they are completely dark, Freedom has promenade cabins which could be a compromise, there is an internal window and it makes the room seem bigger, we've stayed on deck 7 midship and always found it a smooth trip.

So many times the "window" is over the bed so you can't really stand & look out etc. It seems that on a lot of Royal's ships that the bed is only rotated out of the way if it's in a possibly adjoining cabin. Of course split beds allow window access no problem.

On Freedom/Voyager class ships the PR (Promenade) cabins are a great deal, "Inside" pricing with a view as well as that seating in the window area, hard to beat for the price.

Edited by pspercy

I, personally, would not pay the extra money for a window. Other than seeing the sunshine (not a bad thing), you don't really sit an look out as the bed is generally (not sure on Freedom) next to the window. Guess it depends, but I don't think the cabin is any bigger. I'd check a Promenade cabin. You can sit an watch what's going on (never did one of these either). I have done a number of inside in the past. They were fine for me as I never spent much time in the cabin. Since I've been doing balconies, I prefer them as I do sit on my balcony a lot, and the cabin size is better. I would have to compare the prices.

Another thing to consider with an oceanview. Since they are on the lower decks, you are looking out over the water closer to eye level as compared to balconies. Dh has a tendency to motion sickness (never been sick on a ship) and can't look out the windows....too much movement. We had to keep curtains closed, so that was our one and only OV.

So, if someone in your party has seasickness issues you might have something to think about.

Right now I am planning to cruise on the freedom in 2015 to western caribbean. I wanted a balcony but not willing to pay almost 4000 for three people. Would you prefer an outside room with a window or an inside room? Also, what are the best decks on the Freedom ship? Thanks!

Inside room is fine. The promenade rooms are also nice.

Most often, we book window cabins (OV) for price and the lower deck view of the sea.

DH never sits on the balcony but the large sliding glass door to the outside makes the cabin feel larger.

Insides are fine for both of us. We use the cabin only for washing, changing, and sleeping. We like to spend more time sitting in busy areas and meeting passengers.

-Marisa

MY last cruise I was a cheapo and did the large interior room and i would not do that again. It did mess with my head a few times if i had a quick nap before supper and I never knew it was night or day.

Edited by trev71

I either save money and go inside or pay a little more for a balcony. I love the balcony but I would only get one if its just 200.00$ more per person then an inside. My next cruise I am inside for 828.00$ per person. If I want a balcony it would be 586.00$ more per person. That is to way much of difference for me. I will save the money and go on an additional vacation. I do not value a cabin with a window at all. My point of view is all dollars, cents and value.

Everyone has their own preferences. We have done an outside and a balcony, but for us, we almost always book inside cabins. For the little time we spend in the room, we just don't think having a window or a balcony is worth the extra cost. We can almost each get a drink package with the money we save. My DW sometimes takes a short afternoon nap and finds the darkness of the inside room conducive to restfulness.

Now, if it was more than just the 2 of us in the room, I might opt for a Promenade or something with a little more square footage. And I personally would love to try one of the new Panoramic Ocean View rooms with the floor to ceiling windows just for the experience...unfortunately, none of those on Freedom.

Tomahawk246: We're with you there! Using the CAS Special Cruise Rate and the M/LE/FF discount, we were able to book a 7 day on Serenade for under $400 per person!!

Pete

Edited by OKC Cruisers

I either save money and go inside or pay a little more for a balcony. I love the balcony but I would only get one if its just 200.00$ more per person then an inside. My next cruise I am inside for 828.00$ per person. If I want a balcony it would be 586.00$ more per person. That is to way much of difference for me. I will save the money and go on an additional vacation. I do not value a cabin with a window at all. My point of view is all dollars, cents and value.

I agree with you sometimes that 586$ a person makes it not worth it sometimes

A good option is a promenade stateroom. It gives you some light and you do not have to stare at a wall. The cabins are very cost effective also- I like deck 8 near to mid-ship. We can have a great view of the ships activities going on in the promenade all day.

Perhaps a balcony guarantee might be available close to your sailing and the upgrade could be very reasonable if you want it.

Enjoy your cruise

Oceanview cabins are nice, but the windows/portholes are useless once it's dark...you won't be able to see anything. Personally, I'd take an inside over an oceanview, unless the OV is cheaper. I get the best sleep on cruises because an inside cabin is pitch black, and I like the slight rocking motion of the ship. I usually sleep with the bathroom light on, and I crack the door a little bit so I can see if I have to get up in the middle of the night. As for a balcony, they are nice, but not worth the money for me. I prefer to be up on deck anyway.

We booked an inside cabin on Freedom for four people (They only thing i'm concerned is space) but after thinking about it, really how much time would I really be in the cabin anyway (other than to shower, change, and sleep)? I guess I was spoiled that my first first was an Boardwalk balcony cabin on Oasis and loved it! We got the deal of less than $1800CDN total for the four us (3rd/4th sail free sale). And to get a window was $1200 more total, with that difference, we could use it towards airfare, another cruise/trip, or expenses. If it was a couple hundred than yes, go for it.

On the Freedom.....which OV rooms would be the quietest?

I see some are under Bolero's, etc and that would not work.

Trying to make some decisions about a cruise for 2015......

Edited by GTO-Girl

If you're looking at an inside cabin, consider one on deck 7 near the aft elevators including the inside hallway. This gives folks easy access to hang out in the library if they like. It's like having a giant living room at your fingertips if you need it.

Would never ever cruise inside cabin again. Have cruised with balconys and OV and 1 inside. I think yu loose something when you can't look out at the sea. After all it is a cruise.

Agree....it's a cruise.

If I wanted to stare at 4 walls and have great restaurants and shows...I'd just go to Vegas.

We always get a Balcony stateroom...My wife says she needs a way out if the boat sinks.

Chow

Shelton