New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

It seems that Eurodam will offer the Med itineraries between Barcelona and Venice, offered by Nieuw Amsterdam the past years.

For 2016, she is listed in the Civitavecchia port schedule throughout the summer season 2016 (see attachment), Oosterdam as well.

Surely Koningsdam will sail the Baltic/Norway itineraries out of Copenhagen (done by Eurodam the past years), and surely Canada/NE in the fall season...

civi-eurodam-jul-16.jpg.2eaf248ff15958af09d0a23030420790.jpg

We were on the MSC Divina that did not have a wrap-around promenade deck but did have to decks on either side of the ship that were obstructed by life boats for the most part; some sections were open.

Here is a comparison of a Costa ship (left) and the Divina (right):

2cc6zl.jpg

The Costa ship's promenade seems similar to a HAL's.

Another view of the Divina's promenade deck:

13548052524_4da65c76fd.jpg

Oh.....yuck! :(

They could put Nieuw Amsterdam on the Canadian runs, the ship is fittingly themed to NYC. :)

and I wondered why they hadn't put Nieuw Amsterdam there when it came out in place of Eurodam, but then I thought "DO folks in NYC want an NYC themed experience everywhere they turn around?" and my guess was that no, they probably don't

There are no facts pointing to the fact there will not be a promenade deck.

We were told it's a clone of Queen Victoria, which has a full promenade.

And only you know what you were told so no one can really dispute that.... HOWEVER, images of the "promenade area" on both Queen Victoria and the rendering from Koningsdam show there is clearly a different configuration of the lifeboats through there.

The general body hull shape of the 2 ships is the same in that there is an area that sticks out all deck midship instead of continued to taper in with panoramic elevators, but Koningsdam is post-panamax. It is longer and wider than anything in Cunard's or HAL's present fleets (and Carnival's and Costa's Spirit/Vista class ships for that matter). So it will not be a clone.

The part that intrigues me is the gap between the forward and aft lifeboats. As opposed to doors and maybe sporadic windows it appears to be something that is pretty much solid glass. Definitely makes you wonder what will be going there

It seems that Eurodam will offer the Med itineraries between Barcelona and Venice, offered by Nieuw Amsterdam the past years.

For 2016, she is listed in the Civitavecchia port schedule throughout the summer season 2016 (see attachment), Oosterdam as well.

Interesting. Which site did you use gor this info?

And only you know what you were told so no one can really dispute that.... HOWEVER, images of the "promenade area" on both Queen Victoria and the rendering from Koningsdam show there is clearly a different configuration of the lifeboats through there.

The general body hull shape of the 2 ships is the same in that there is an area that sticks out all deck midship instead of continued to taper in with panoramic elevators, but Koningsdam is post-panamax. It is longer and wider than anything in Cunard's or HAL's present fleets (and Carnival's and Costa's Spirit/Vista class ships for that matter). So it will not be a clone.

The part that intrigues me is the gap between the forward and aft lifeboats. As opposed to doors and maybe sporadic windows it appears to be something that is pretty much solid glass. Definitely makes you wonder what will be going there

Would there be room enough for a specialty restaurant or lounge?

They could put Nieuw Amsterdam on the Canadian runs, the ship is fittingly themed to NYC. :)

Maybe... :)

But some weeks ago, a destination calender appeared on HAL's wesbte until 2016, Nieuw Amsterdam was listed for Panama Canal in Apr 16, so surely she does Alaska in summer 2016...

So if both Eurodam and Oosterdam sail the Med in summer 2016, Koningsdam should sail the Baltic and Norway routes... ;)

But some weeks ago, a destination calender appeared on HAL's wesbte until 2016, Nieuw Amsterdam was listed for Panama Canal in Apr 16, so surely she does Alaska in summer 2016...

So if both Eurodam and Oosterdam sail the Med in summer 2016, Koningsdam should sail the Baltic and Norway routes... ;)

It'll be interesting, but if NA is going the canal then yup Alaska looks good (which I like, we plan to do Alaska in 2016!).

I tend not to think the rendering is worth examine closely, my opinion of course.

I was on the Maasdam in Canada when new name was announced. Sailing toward Quebec City on Sept. 18, I walked briskly from the Captain's Lunch so I could attend the On Location talk on HAL History given by Captain Albert Schoonderbeek in the Showroom at Sea. One of his last slides showed the new ship (that I knew from facebook) and then TBD(or was it TBA?)...dam 2018. Would have loved to hear him talk more but some people wanted to play bingo.

It'll be interesting, but if NA is going the canal then yup Alaska looks good (which I like, we plan to do Alaska in 2016!).

IMHO that would be the most possible option, to deploy her in Alaska, when Koningsdam debuts in 2016...

I think she might be too large for the Panama Canal locks - at least if the new ones aren't finished until that time...

I think:

-Koningsdam: Northern Europe (Copenhagen)

-N. Amsterdam: Alaska

-Eurodam: Med (Barcelona - Venice)

-Oosterdam: Med (Rome - Venice)

-Zuiderdam: Northern Europe or back to Alaska

Would there be room enough for a specialty restaurant or lounge?

I doubt a specialty restaurant on that deck, just because of the walking traffic, but perhaps a food/snack/coffee venue of some sort. What I have in mind would be something like Cafe al Bacio on Celebrity. Beautiful little space but very casual so people walking by outside isn't a detractor.

8067385537_e626dcd6ef.jpg

Since that would clearly be deck 3 and if we presume based on the stateroom locations they would still have the atrium on Decks 1-3 maybe something like a Dutch spin on the Explorations Cafe would be nice for the top of the Atrium... The Explorations Cafe is fine, but it's a little too Starbucks/Borders and we all know how that went for Borders. Adding in a Dutch component can make it more unique. As long as they still have espresso and stroopwaffels though I'll be happy... But yes, clearly there's just a lot of "what if's" in that :)

I know that when Nieuw Amsterdam was in the yard and they decided to take out the Atrium Bar, the Hotel Director had told me on a cruise we took on the ship they had wanted to see a coffee shop there in the atrium but it was too late as they had already approved all the blueprints and plans with the empty space there. Maybe they listened on the new ship.

Edited by InTheWASide

I would love to take Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska. I'm in love with that ship. I just fear that if I take the inaugural cruise of Koningsdam I'll miss that chance even with the ship in my own backyard... hopefully it won't be a one oiff

IMHO that would be the most possible option, to deploy her in Alaska, when Koningsdam debuts in 2016...

I think she might be too large for the Panama Canal locks - at least if the new ones aren't finished until that time...

I think:

-Koningsdam: Northern Europe (Copenhagen)

-N. Amsterdam: Alaska

-Eurodam: Med (Barcelona - Venice)

-Oosterdam: Med (Rome - Venice)

-Zuiderdam: Northern Europe or back to Alaska

Wouldn't surprise me if that's correct... or at least close. But Zuiderdam would have already received the modifications so not sure if she would be back to Europe again

I wonder if Koningsdam will replace Ryndam's English home port summer schedule? That's a lot more pax for those trips, though.

No way will Rotterdam.

I would guess that if not UK based maybe Amsterdam, at least the first year. The name is very clearly tied to The Netherlands. Can't imagine them operating Northern Europe cruises and not basing them out of the country.

But I agree, they likely will not step into Rotterdam's turf

I imagine that Koningsdam operates on the very popular routes from Copenhagen - with the new ship, the passenger number would be increased, compared to smaller Eurodam.

I could imagine that Rotterdam might sail from UK and maybe Zuiderdam operates on the routes from Rotterdam - that would be great! :)

Oosterdam seems to operate on the Med itineraries, offered by Zuiderdam in 2015 - see attachement, where she is listed for Rome throughout summer 2015.

Since Noordam replaces Zuiderdam on the Alaska roundtrip from/to Vancouver, I am not sure whether Zuiderdam returns to Alaska.

I imagine that Nieuw Amsterdam either operates on the Vancouver roundtrips or the Vancouver - Seward itineraries...

rome-oosterdam-july.jpg.7b12058b96ee94c534a6473294aa3ed2.jpg

Edited by celebrity_fan

So, assuming that the Koningsdam will sail the Norway/Baltic itineraries and in fall she will sail Canada/New England, she will do the transatlantic from Europe to NY calling at Greenland? With that itinerary and HAL's new ship that cruise would definitely be in my bucket list!!! When will its itineraries come out?

Edited by orgutierrez

So, assuming that the Koningsdam will sail the Norway/Baltic itineraries and in fall she will sail Canada/New England, she will do the transatlantic from Europe to NY calling at Greenland? With that itinerary and HAL's new ship that cruise would definitely be in my bucket list!!! When will its itineraries come out?

The itinerary should be the TA with Iceland, and Canada/NE, maybe Greenland (September).

The itineraries for 2016 should be released in spring 2015...

Alaska maybe earlier...

I imagine that Koningsdam operates on the very popular routes from Copenhagen - with the new ship, the passenger number would be increased, compared to smaller Eurodam.

I could imagine that Rotterdam might sail from UK and maybe Zuiderdam operates on the routes from Rotterdam - that would be great! :)

Oosterdam seems to operate on the Med itineraries, offered by Zuiderdam in 2015 - see attachement, where she is listed for Rome throughout summer 2015.

Since Noordam replaces Zuiderdam on the Alaska roundtrip from/to Vancouver, I am not sure whether Zuiderdam returns to Alaska.

I imagine that Nieuw Amsterdam either operates on the Vancouver roundtrips or the Vancouver - Seward itineraries...

Very unlikely re: Rotterdam (port of) as Rotterdam (the ship) is permanently based from Rotterdam (port of)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums