New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

There will be "patches" of ocean views on this so-called Promenade Deck. It follows the popular trend of placing the lifeboats directly on the deck, which we have seen with many new ship designs lately (MSC Fantasia Class, Celebrity Solstice Class, Princess Royal Princess Class, Royal Caribbean Quantum Class, etc). Essentially it enables another deck of balcony cabins which of course is a revenue producer, where as a Promenade Deck is not...

You are correct. The new designs appear to eliminate many of the obstructed-view OV cabins (which can be a great bargain), and replace them with unobstructed balconies.

You are correct. The new designs appear to eliminate many of the obstructed-view OV cabins (which can be a great bargain), and replace them with unobstructed balconies.

Yes that is exactly the reasoning behind the change. Balcony cabins bring in far more revenue than obstructed view outside cabins, especially when you compound that over the life of the ship.

SOLAS requirements are soon changing with lifeboat placement, that will impact this new build.

While there have been changes to SOLAS requirements, most of the changes revolve around the concept of "safe return to port", where as the ship itself becomes the best means of survival and the life saving craft hopefully never have to be used.

I don't believe there is any new SOLAS regulation that requires lifeboats actually sit on the deck and the elimination of the traditional promenade deck. There are regulations that require lifeboats to be no more than a certain distance from the ocean.

In most cases, the elimination of traditional promenade decks is revenue driven. By eliminating the traditional promenade deck and positioning the lifeboats directly on the deck, it enables an additional deck of balcony cabins above the lifeboats instead of obstructed view cabins or lounges.

One brand new ship design currently under construction and NOT following this trend but still meeting or exceeding all SOLAS requirements is VIKING STAR and her sisters. These ships will still have a traditional wrap-around promenade deck and the lifeboats will still be positioned above the deck as has been done traditionally in the past.

Attached is a pic of VIKING STAR, and I must say she looks fantastic. Perfect size too!

SHIPS_HERO_1600x400_tcm13-17146.jpg

The ship looks wonderful and maybe Oceania will get some competition. I checked Viking Cruises website and they doing European Voyages in 2015. I believe three are planned it will be on my list when I want to book something in Europe.

I am slowly getting fed up with the large ships this looks like a nice compromise. Thanks for sharing.

Gosh I hope they don't name the next one Koninginsdam. Geez, I can't pronounce Koningsdam, how will I ever get that one right. :D:D:D

Presidentsdam makes more sense than Koninginnedam. Holland-America: Koningsdam-Presidentsdam...

One brand new ship design currently under construction and NOT following this trend but still meeting or exceeding all SOLAS requirements is VIKING STAR and her sisters. These ships will still have a traditional wrap-around promenade deck and the lifeboats will still be positioned above the deck as has been done traditionally in the past.

Attached is a pic of VIKING STAR, and I must say she looks fantastic. Perfect size too!

SHIPS_HERO_1600x400_tcm13-17146.jpg

eroller, did you intend to link to this image?

213hqu.jpg

[Clicky.]

Sorry, then - a bad guess on my part.

I was trying to work out which image you intended to include in your post (as no image is showing up), to try to understand better the point you were making.

I can see the imagine fine on my post. Strange you can't see it. I'm using Safari as my web browser.

It's basically the same image you posted but larger.

ms Koningsdam (pronounced with a long ō sound, as in cone, KOH-ningsdam).

I still can't figure out how to pronounce Zuiderdam, along with a few other HAL ships!

Love HAL, but also like sailing on ships whose names I can easily pronounce. Oh well. K-Dam it is!

I still can't figure out how to pronounce Zuiderdam, along with a few other HAL ships!

Love HAL, but also like sailing on ships whose names I can easily pronounce. Oh well. K-Dam it is!

Zuider rhymes with cider

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Presidentsdam makes more sense than Koninginnedam. Holland-America: Koningsdam-Presidentsdam...

It doesn't make sense when you consider Holland doesn't have a President.

Zuider rhymes with cider

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually - Zuider is pronounced closer to Louder minus the L add a Z.

And the Nederlanders might find "king" hard to pronounce or remember.

It is an international world and has been for quite a while. Time to embrace this world, different languages and cultures. In the west we are much to much English-centric.

With the Koningsdam we are taking about ONE word in Dutch. Sheeeeesh!

It doesn't make sense when you consider Holland doesn't have a President.

Actually - Zuider is pronounced closer to Louder minus the L add a Z.

Well our prime minister is "minister-president" in Dutch, but I was not referring at Holland this time but at the America part in Holland-America. The king is head of state in The Netherlands and gets his Koningsdam in 2016. The president is head of state in the US and could get his (or her; 2017...) Presidentendam.

Pronouncing Zuiderdam is not very easy. We mostly hear Zwiederdam. Cider and Louder are not the best comparisons. The best approach I heard in English was in Van Nuys (movie, boulevard and airport in LA). That would make it Zuyderdam I guess.

Anyway, getting a bit off topic...

Edited by 3ssn

Not really, but I do have a serious problem with the word "disembarkation", but that might be psychological :)

English isn't the easiest language to pronounce: "disembarkation" is one of those long words that can be so hard. With German and Dutch, the long words are always the hardest for me!

Of course, the psychological aspect is a big one!!! Do you have much trouble with "embarkation"???? :)

And the Nederlanders might find "king" hard to pronounce or remember.

It is an international world and has been for quite a while. Time to embrace this world, different languages and cultures. In the west we are much to much English-centric.

With the Koningsdam we are taking about ONE word in Dutch. Sheeeeesh!

I do embrace the world and all its cultures. Your insinuation is inappropriate and offensive. I have difficulty pronouncing some "English-centric" words too.

Edited by Chelly

There was a 1983 Version of the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Noordam. They were Sister ships.I think the current Zuiderdam is a new name and the current Eurodam is a new name. I know there was a previous version off the Veendam and Volendam and I was on the previous version of the Westerdam.

There was a 1983 Version of the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Noordam. They were Sister ships.I think the current Zuiderdam is a new name and the current Eurodam is a new name. I know there was a previous version off the Veendam and Volendam and I was on the previous version of the Westerdam.

Zuiderdam is actually the second ship with that name, although the first one was destroyed during its build in the second world war and never sailed.

Eurodam is indeed a new name.

Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam used to be sister ships of the same class, both the third one with that name, both now the fourth with that name, although no longer from the same class.

Veendam is currently the fourth ship with that name, Volendam and Westerdam are the third ships with these names.