New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

Or, maybe the Koningsdam in recognition of the Dutch King, stays in Europe and the Rotterdam returns to North America--or elsewhere. There has been speculation that the newbuild will stay in Europe. And, given the increasing importance of the Asian/South Pacific market, will Holland America ignore those opportunities and not position a year-round vessel in those waters?

Or, maybe the Koningsdam in recognition of the Dutch King, stays in Europe and the Rotterdam returns to North America--or elsewhere. There has been speculation that the newbuild will stay in Europe. And, given the increasing importance of the Asian/South Pacific market, will Holland America ignore those opportunities and not position a year-round vessel in those waters?

I don't see that happening. Especially if there's even a moderate possibility of at least one more of these (HAL has never BUILT only one in a class). The success of any new ship and the new experiences onboard will depend strongly on if the majority of your loyalty base like it - i.e. North America. I have no doubt we'll see Koningsdam in North America. Whether it's in February or not until the fall is left to be seen though.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Forums

I don't see that happening. Especially if there's even a moderate possibility of at least one more of these (HAL has never BUILT only one in a class).

According to Captain Albert (see my post #263 in this thread), 2018 is the next ship due date after Koningsdam.

According to Captain Albert (see my post #263 in this thread), 2018 is the next ship due date after Koningsdam.

I've heard that too, but there has been no official announcement so things could always change I suppose.

Depending on popularity I could probably see a max of 4 of these.

Koningsdam to replace Statendam/Ryndam

Pinnacle #2 to replace Maasdam/Veendam?

Pinnacle #3 to replace Volendam/Zaandam? (let's face it, it seems like they upgrade the rooms and the public spaces, add lanais/MIX/etc and then out they go)

Pinnacle #4 to replace Amsterdam/Rotterdam?

I've heard that too, but there has been no official announcement so things could always change I suppose.

Depending on popularity I could probably see a max of 4 of these.

Koningsdam to replace Statendam/Ryndam

Pinnacle #2 to replace Maasdam/Veendam?

Pinnacle #3 to replace Volendam/Zaandam? (let's face it, it seems like they upgrade the rooms and the public spaces, add lanais/MIX/etc and then out they go)

Pinnacle #4 to replace Amsterdam/Rotterdam?

Given the Carnival Corporation history of building ships of a similar class, I agree that the Pinnacle Class will have at least 4 ships. And, maybe more. The Signature Class vessels are nothing more than a positive refinement of the Vista Class design.

I do most sincerely hope that the retired historic names will be retained for the newbuilds. Captain Albert wanted the new vessel to be named "Leerdam" and others wanted even more historic names. I hope that the Company willl not loose sight of its historical roots.

But, as asked in an earlier post of mine: will the Company ignore the growing middle class of the Asian/South Pacific market and not place a year round vessel there? And, would not this new vessel serve as a great introduction to those new cruisers?

Given the Carnival Corporation history of building ships of a similar class, I agree that the Pinnacle Class will have at least 4 ships. And, maybe more. The Signature Class vessels are nothing more than a positive refinement of the Vista Class design.

I do most sincerely hope that the retired historic names will be retained for the newbuilds. Captain Albert wanted the new vessel to be named "Leerdam" and others wanted even more historic names. I hope that the Company willl not loose sight of its historical roots.

But, as asked in an earlier post of mine: will the Company ignore the growing middle class of the Asian/South Pacific market and not place a year round vessel there? And, would not this new vessel serve as a great introduction to those new cruisers?

Very true. I can't see it with the first in the series, but if there are a few, I could definitely see one doing the typical Europe-Caribbean hop;, would LOVE to see one doing some combination in the pacific...

and while I would love to see a larger ship do the grand world voyage, not sure if I could see that happening since the posts each year just make it seem like it's the same group every time and somehow hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of days on the same ship hasn't started to get old or make them desire a little variety... so not sure that day would ever come

Thank you for those great pictures! She is almost ready to sail- LOL! I don´t think the regonition of the new King as anything to do where ship will be positioned. The name may be a nice touch- but what counts are profits! And the " Mama " of HAL is located in the US- for them profit is almost everything!

Hi,

just check the list of Gothenburg 2016. http://www.portofgothenburg.com/Line-selection/Arrivals-and-Departures/#!/arrival/2016-03-07/2018-12-10/null/0/

The Zuiderdam is listened many times in Gothenburg and the Koningsdam 2 times (01 July 2016 and 16 september 2016). I think Zuiderdam will replace the Eurodam ??

Edited by Ulsteinvik

Hi,

just check the list of Gothenburg 2016. http://www.portofgothenburg.com/Line-selection/Arrivals-and-Departures/#!/arrival/2016-03-07/2018-12-10/null/0/

The Zuiderdam is listened many times in Gothenburg and the Koningsdam 2 times (01 July 2016 and 16 september 2016). I think Zuiderdam will replace the Eurodam ??

Great Research!

Hi,

Good find!

This essentially can confirm either Eurodam or NA will be doing Alaska 2016.

I have a suspicion, only a hunch with no factual data or rumors heard to back it up, the 14 day r/t Alaska Amsterdam trips will not be offered either.

just check the list of Gothenburg 2016. http://www.portofgothenburg.com/Line...-12-10/null/0/

Perfect find of the Gothenburg cruise list, thank you so much!!!!!

Maybe for Zuiderdam, HAL creates new routes with Gothenburg?

Koningsdam, we will see - either she offers the 12 night Baltic cruise from Copenhagen and some Norway cruises, which call at Gothenburg, or something else.

But nevertheless, this tells, that both Koningsdam and Zuiderdam are scheduled for Northern Europe in 2015! :)

Eurodam should do Med next year (as well as Oosterdam), and Nieuw Amsterdam moves to Alaska...

Hmm, and any guesses for the longer Canada/NE itineraries between Quebec and NYC? Koningsdam or Zuiderdam???

Edited by celebrity_fan

10686718_10152667650055758_158851981937667252_n.jpg?oh=1ac140068fc24e26ab0a29dd7c1e573f&oe=54894066

Interesting to compare the Pinnacle Class Koningsdam with the Signature Class Eurodam. Obviously one added deck above the bridge, but the central superstructure is less cluttered, though taller in general, without the added deck house bump up for the specialty restaurant fore of the stacks. There is a new deck house aft of the Koningsdam's stack. I like the new stack too, something different than the rest of the Vista's and Signature's. Not sure I like the new "lowered" life boats, though now the balconies behind have a view. I just wonder if the promenade deck will be irreparably lessened with no good views. Finally, I think it is interesting that her forward hull paint line has non of the fake shear of the Signature Class, but also is not raised like the Vista Class. It actually looks more like the bow of the S-Class ships being transferred to P&O.

Very good comparison picture!

Thanks.

The comparison is not in favor of the new ship though.

The loss of the shear paint line (SS Ile de France - SS Normandie - SS France - RMS Queen Mary 2 - MS Eurodam) isn't anything good either.

Can be corrected easily.

Would there be room enough for a specialty restaurant or lounge?

My understanding is that at least one specialty restaurant will up above the aft pool behind the stack - perhaps two.

But it wouldn't surprise me that the glass area overlooking the Promenade is the atrium, with a restaurant thereas well.

It would be nice to have an outdoor component to the Atrium as well - like the outdoor "sidewalk" cafes on the new NCL and Carnival ships.