New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

Not sure if anyone saw but they updated the HAL blog post with extra info - pronunciation, ties to the Dutch royal family over 141 years, etc

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2014/09/15/introducing-ms-koningsdam-name-of-new-pinnacle-class-ship-revealed/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by InTheWASide

To me she bears some resemblance to the new TUI ships (Mein Schiff 3, Mein Schiff 4). Just a little though.

I don't really see it. I hoped initially the new ship would look a lot like that (sans the crystal hemorrhoid on the aft) but I like the look of Koningsdam quite a bit

The problem with the name to me is that not only is it not an appealing word to say or hear it also has no meaning in any language but Dutch. I really like the previous HAL ship names- everyone can identify with and knows they are cities in the Netherlands and now several ships also identify with Europe and the Dutch history of NYC. The Cunard's Queen names are great and easily identify with British history. The RCL "of the Seas" ship names evoke thoughts of ocean travel.

But Koningsdam means absolutely nothing to anyone who does not speak Dutch. JMHO upon hearing it today. Surely there were other ways to name this ship in honor of the King which would have been more pleasing and better market HAL worldwide.

The problem with the name to me is that not only is it not an appealing word to say or hear it also has no meaning in any language but Dutch. I really like the previous HAL ship names- everyone can identify with and knows they are cities in the Netherlands and now several ships also identify with Europe and the Dutch history of NYC. The Cunard's Queen names are great and easily identify with British history. The RCL "of the Seas" ship names evoke thoughts of ocean travel.

But Koningsdam means absolutely nothing to anyone who does not speak Dutch. JMHO upon hearing it today. Surely there were other ways to name this ship in honor of the King which would have been more pleasing and better market HAL worldwide.

Prinsendam doesn't either. Prince's ship. King's ship. What's the difference? There aren't regular moans and groans about Prinsendam so why this ship?

And for all the folks that are worried that it will be "too big," it's barely going to be bigger than Norwegian's Jewel-class ships. Those are now viewed as medium-sized at best. For some perspective, Koningsdam, at less than 100,000GT will only be 60 percent the size of RCI's Quantum-class and Norwegian's Breakaway-plus class. So, she will still be, in fact, a small ship.

Since I consider the Vista class ships too big I can't say this makes me feel any better or different. :o:) All I can think of right now is nicknaming the ship "King Kong".....sigh...:rolleyes:

Edited by Randyk47

I'm fascinated by all of the negative reactions to the choice of Koningsdam. I think it's an inspired choice given that the Netherlands has its first king in a very long time. It's also meant to imply, I think, that the Koningsdam is the King of Ships!

If I may also suggest, as a 46-year-old who cruises quite frequently and who intends to continue sailing as long as I can, I am likely closer to the target audience for this ship than some folks who have been sailing the line for decades. And while I enjoy walking around the promenade deck, I don't do it for very long. I'd rather enjoy the atmosphere at the Lido Pool or get a more effective workout at the gym. Or I'll listen to music in a club, or participate in a class, or some other activity. And I think I'm becoming more typical; folks want to be active on their cruise, while still relaxed.

And if you want to sit and gaze at the ocean, you can still book a balcony stateroom.

I do understand your point of view but would really miss walking the Promenade deck where one is so close to the sea. If we really wanted the Mall at Sea with a bit of Vegas thrown in there are other options that do that very well the the huge RCCL ships. We cruise to be at and feel a connection with the sea. Can only hope that the other HAL ships in the fleet will be around for as long as we can still go.

Zuider or Ooster mean nothing if you don't speak Dutch.

As a (Royal minded) Dutchman I find it a perfect name considering that since last year we have a king/koning again. It's very much of this day and age and a name I can associate with. It does sound quite majestic whether you like it or not.:D

As far as the ship itself I immediately noticed the lack of a promenade deck. Cruise lines have always seen it as a necessity but were never fond of it as they simply didn't bring in revenue. I can remember years ago on the Century, Celebrity purposely left it empty with no chairs. A bit tacky.

On P&O's Oriana it was used and appreciated a lot. I wonder how the mighty new Britannia might go down with the P&O Clientele.

For the rest I have no high expectations of this ship. It'll be slightly larger with a I expect a larger density. More "revenue generating options" and I wouldn't be surprised if the balconies will be smaller like on the new Princess sisters.

I do understand your point of view but would really miss walking the Promenade deck where one is so close to the sea. If we really wanted the Mall at Sea with a bit of Vegas thrown in there are other options that do that very well the the huge RCCL ships. We cruise to be at and feel a connection with the sea. Can only hope that the other HAL ships in the fleet will be around for as long as we can still go.

More people would miss the rock bottom fares than a Promenade Deck. Sad but a sign of the times.

another gem of a mistake 'going large' probably thought up by and designed by the same higher-ups at HAL who came up with the ideas that ruined the Veendam and Rotterdam.. aw heck might as well throw in the mental misfits who redesigned and ruined the HAL reservation site too..when will they ever learn

Edited by Stakeout

another gem of a mistake 'going large' probably thought up by and designed by the same higher-ups at HAL who came up with the ideas that ruined the Veendam and Rotterdam.. aw heck might as well throw in the mental misfits who redesigned and ruined the HAL reservation site too..when will they ever learn

I was just thinking the same thing myself.

I think we can be fairly confident that a HAL ship will never have a rock-climbing wall or bumper cars. Or an ice bar for that matter. (Just as Celebrity has nothing comparable.) And no, a mall/Vegas option isn't what I'm suggesting, either. As I "mature" into my 50s, the types of amenities that would draw me toward Holland America (and away from my current go-to of Norwegian) are well designed spaces that have some energy. A well designed, chill beach club at the aft of the ship; a compelling cabaret with top-notch musical entertainment, or something like 270 on Quantum of the Seas; a dining scheme with a little more choice, like Dynamic Dining on Quantum; and enhanced active-learning options like HAL already offers. As I say, I want to relax on my cruise, but I also want to be excited and inspired.

While I think the changes on the Hal ship could be interesting I don't understand why every cruise line needs to have the same things. I'm also in my early fifties but I like the quiet natural of Hal. Having noise 24/7 doesn't do it for me. I get enough noise pollution at home.