New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

It is not a joke, news is offially anounced by HAL in Holland on its facebook page. I myself have also anounced the news on CC.

Which Facebook page? I thought I was looking at the official one but maybe it isn't.

The page linked to from HAL' s (US) website doesn't have any posts after September 8.

Edited by Boytjie

Any speculation/guesses where the ship could be deployed?

With a GT of 99500, she is too large for Venice.

Maybe she sails the Med itineraries offered by Zuiderdam in 2015, or out of Copenhagen to replace Eurodam. Maybe the latter one sails from Venice.

I could imagine that Koningsdam sails Canada/NE in fall 2016 than...

Here is a larger picture, according to the location of the lifeboats, no complete open promenade deck!

[Note: The picture was causing a size distortion of the entire thread so it was removed. Here's a link:

http://www.cruisereiziger.nl/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/koningsdam2.jpg

Edited by Host Walt

I have seen various announcements on facebook, not only by HAL, also by travelagents. It must be offical.

I think this name Koningsdam is difficult to pronounce in english, american, french etc.

No I donot like this name, it has no history with HAL, just a name somebody ""invented"" like Eurodam.

I would have loved to see a name of one of the past HAL ships, like I mentioned in the past how about Spaarndam ( yes has been a HAL ship in the past) with a copy of the Hans Brinkers statue (still there in Spaarndam) in the atrium. Even names like Statendam and Ryndam would have been so much nicer.

Personally I was kind of hoping that the Ryndam or Statendam name would live on with the new ship but then again no ship will ever replaced our much beloved Ryndam. Of course, they could have named it the Whateverdam as the whole concept of an even bigger ship is not appealing to us. :(

Well I must admit I would never have guessed it. I wish they would give a few more details about the ship itself, like if they will have more family friendly cabins that sleep 4 or even 5; we only need 4 but the Disney ships do 5 wonderfully. But I am patient and can wait. We are trying our first "larger" HAL ship in April so will be able to tell whether we will be open to booking this even larger ship.

I have seen various announcements on facebook, not only by HAL, also by travelagents. It must be offical.

I think this name Koningsdam is difficult to pronounce in english, american, french etc.

No I donot like this name, it has no history with HAL, just a name somebody ""invented"" like Eurodam.

I would have loved to see a name of one of the past HAL ships, like I mentioned in the past how about Spaarndam ( yes has been a HAL ship in the past) with a copy of the Hans Brinkers statue (still there in Spaarndam) in the atrium. Even names like Statendam and Ryndam would have been so much nicer.

Why is it so hard to pronounce? In English a single consonant followed by -ing is usually the long sound--phoning, zoning, boning, stoning, droning... Even if it isn't obvious the first time someone reads it, once you hear it pronounced, it's an easy vowel sound to make.

I think K'dam will be more of a problem. Will people say KAY-dam or kuhDAM?

Personally I was kind of hoping that the Ryndam or Statendam name would live on with the new ship but then again no ship will ever replaced our much beloved Ryndam. Of course, they could have named it the Whateverdam as the whole concept of an even bigger ship is not appealing to us. :(

I hear ya. I wonder how many other longtime Mariners will feel that way?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Not a fan of the funnel design, and perhaps the first HAL ship without a promenade deck. Apparently HAL doesn't appreciate it's core audience. Unfortunate. A new era for HAL that is for sure.

Edited by eroller

Not a fan of the funnel design, and perhaps the first HAL ship without a promenade deck. Apparently HAL doesn't appreciate it's core audience. Unfortunate. A new era for HAL that is for sure.

There's probably part of a promenade deck at the lifeboat level, but it's impossible to tell if it wraps around at the back and cuts across the hull at the front. Even if it does go all the way around, it appears to be very obscured by the lifeboats. From the looks of all the glass at the top, they probably expect everyone to sit around the pool, probably with two levels of chairs.

There's probably part of a promenade deck at the lifeboat level, but it's impossible to tell if it wraps around at the back and cuts across the hull at the front. Even if it does go all the way around, it appears to be very obscured by the lifeboats. From the looks of all the glass at the top, they probably expect everyone to sit around the pool, probably with two levels of chairs.

There will be "patches" of ocean views on this so-called Promenade Deck. It follows the popular trend of placing the lifeboats directly on the deck, which we have seen with many new ship designs lately (MSC Fantasia Class, Celebrity Solstice Class, Princess Royal Princess Class, Royal Caribbean Quantum Class, etc). Essentially it enables another deck of balcony cabins which of course is a revenue producer, where as a Promenade Deck is not. Shame that HAL is following this trend and ignoring a major trait of why HAL is popular with its core audience.

Other than that, for most part what I see is the EURODAM/NIEUW AMSTERDAM on steroids.

Hi,

I am surprised that they did not decide to name this ship Statendam (this would have been my choice). It is interesting that the new ship only will have one stack. Also, it looks like there will be two decks under the sliding glass roof over the midships pool. It is unfortunate that the traditional promenade deck seems to be gone, but I am not surprised.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9