New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

One poster mentioned that Theater in the Round would be difficult for a Production Show, but I disagree.. The dancers/singers should have no problem, as many of them have performed or trained in this type of venue..

In High School I took Drama Classes & joined a local company which played at The Town Dock Theater in Port Washington, N.Y.. It was a theater in the round, & lot's of fun!.. That's how I met my first DH..He & his Brother came to one of our shows..

If I'm not mistaken. believe the King & I was once performed at the ANTA Washington Square Theater in the round.. Have heard that there is also an active Theater in the Round still in Westbury, N.Y. which has done large production shows..

I would love to see a performance again at a theater in the round & on a ship it would be perfect...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NYCB_Theatre_at_Westbury

BTW as an English speaking person, I like the new name & have no problem pronouncing it..

Copper 10-8 once posted how to pronounce all the ships names but can't find that post.. Maybe someone else would remember it..

Edited by serendipity1499

Per Copper Zuiderdam is pronounced: "Zey-der-dam"

That's actually a good comparison. Don't forget that in Dutch "dam" is pronounced different as well (not dem but dahm). The "da" is more like the last part of "Florida".

My sister in law's maiden name is Koenigs, she is sure to be happy with the new name. As for the 360 degree theater, it's possible they are going to produce something similar to Cirque Dreams on NCL, which was really fantastic, considering the acts were performing on a moving vessel.

Koenig(s) is actually derived from the German word for king: König or Koenig. So not the same as the Dutch koning. As Dutch and German share the same roots, it may look and sound the same to American eyes and ears, but they are two very different languages, with their own grammar.

I think it is a pity that the name Statendam seems gone from the HAL fleet, it is a name with a grand history.

10686718_10152667650055758_158851981937667252_n.jpg?oh=1ac140068fc24e26ab0a29dd7c1e573f&oe=54894066

Interesting to compare the Pinnacle Class Koningsdam with the Signature Class Eurodam. Obviously one added deck above the bridge, but the central superstructure is less cluttered, though taller in general, without the added deck house bump up for the specialty restaurant fore of the stacks. There is a new deck house aft of the Koningsdam's stack. I like the new stack too, something different than the rest of the Vista's and Signature's. Not sure I like the new "lowered" life boats, though now the balconies behind have a view. I just wonder if the promenade deck will be irreparably lessened with no good views. Finally, I think it is interesting that her forward hull paint line has non of the fake shear of the Signature Class, but also is not raised like the Vista Class. It actually looks more like the bow of the S-Class ships being transferred to P&O.

so was ZUIDERDAM although the ship was destroyed in the shipyard during World War II; and there was a HAL freighter named OOSTERDIJK

There were many ships that were both named "dijk" and "dam", just like for instance Westerdam and Westerdijk.

Zuiderdam was initially destroyed during a British raid on the yard where it was built during WW2, and later scuttled in the Rotterdam harbor to block the harbor. After the war it was apparent it was damaged beyond repair.

[

That sheer paint on the Rotterdam was liked by Stephen Payne... and like the sheerline the paint line on QE2. He also wanted on the Vista Class. I think it 'odd' at many angles... not a sweet sheer line. Thankfully Eurodam and Na Amsterdam look better with the flat paint line. KONINGSDAM.... reminds me of the Swedish American Line similar name... KUNGSHOLM and everyone liked that!. But the flat line on the new ship looks best. The wide band of white around the bow then carries the block of the superstructure... asthetically. It is also more HAL in style... dating back to 1938 with the old Nw Amsterdam, Statendam of 1957, Rotterdam of 1959 and the more recent S Class. Much better than the fare sheer line.

If anyone complains about the new HAL ship... just take a look at the horrors of ROYAL PRINCESS or new BRITANNIA. And even these two ships look beautiful compared with the NCL ships!!!!

Stephen

[

That sheer paint on the Rotterdam was liked by Stephen Payne... and like the sheerline the paint line on QE2. He also wanted on the Vista Class. I think it 'odd' at many angles... not a sweet sheer line. Thankfully Eurodam and Na Amsterdam look better with the flat paint line. KONINGSDAM.... reminds me of the Swedish American Line similar name... KUNGSHOLM and everyone liked that!. But the flat line on the new ship looks best. The wide band of white around the bow then carries the block of the superstructure... asthetically. It is also more HAL in style... dating back to 1938 with the old Nw Amsterdam, Statendam of 1957, Rotterdam of 1959 and the more recent S Class. Much better than the fare sheer line.

If anyone complains about the new HAL ship... just take a look at the horrors of ROYAL PRINCESS or new BRITANNIA. And even these two ships look beautiful compared with the NCL ships!!!!

Stephen

Just wondering how Koningsdam will look on a tile :D

I have a question. When you say promenade deck I thought you were referring to the fact that it won't go all the way around, but do you mean there will be NO deck to go out on and lean on the rail? Please say it isn't so....

I have a question. When you say promenade deck I thought you were referring to the fact that it won't go all the way around, but do you mean there will be NO deck to go out on and lean on the rail? Please say it isn't so....

From the photo, it looks like you can still walk around the deck but seeing anything out a sea while you do so will be difficult. They've blocked the view with the lifeboats. RCCL's Oasis of the Seas has done this and it's almost like walking on a closed-in deck. Won't be my favorite......

From the photo, it looks like you can still walk around the deck but seeing anything out a sea while you do so will be difficult.

That's if you can access the deck at all. Oceania's Riviera has an outside deck from which to board the lifeboats, but otherwise there is no deck access.

It's emergency use only.

From the photo, it looks like you can still walk around the deck but seeing anything out a sea while you do so will be difficult. They've blocked the view with the lifeboats. RCCL's Oasis of the Seas has done this and it's almost like walking on a closed-in deck. Won't be my favorite......

The much-loved Rotterdam V sailed for nearly 40 years with an enclosed promenade. :)

That may be a deal-breaker for me. The full promenade (with view) is one of the things I like best about HAL. Glad HAL still has its older ships for now, anyway.

Edited by Ryndam2002

nana 51- the same goes for me- i love the prommenade deck- sadly the new Koenigsdam wil not have that anymore- Solstice Class ships are great ships- but the prommenade deck- or the lack there of- is the reason I prefer the Millenium Class!

So I suppose I will stick to them as long they are around! A shame HAL did not stick to their famous prommenade deck!

We were on the MSC Divina that did not have a wrap-around promenade deck but did have to decks on either side of the ship that were obstructed by life boats for the most part; some sections were open.

Here is a comparison of a Costa ship (left) and the Divina (right):

2cc6zl.jpg

The Costa ship's promenade seems similar to a HAL's.

Another view of the Divina's promenade deck:

13548052524_4da65c76fd.jpg

nana 51- the same goes for me- i love the prommenade deck- sadly the new Koenigsdam wil not have that anymore- Solstice Class ships are great ships- but the prommenade deck- or the lack there of- is the reason I prefer the Millenium Class!

So I suppose I will stick to them as long they are around! A shame HAL did not stick to their famous prommenade deck!

There are no facts pointing to the fact there will not be a promenade deck.

We were told it's a clone of Queen Victoria, which has a full promenade.