New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

I like the look. Less clunky than the Signature Class tends to be in some spots. Looks like the Pinnacle Suite may be on deck 5 (??) based on the rendering? Something large about 25% of the way back on deck 5 whatever it is. I can see the tops of cabanas where we've come to expect them. A Crow's Nest. A 2 story lido deck.

Liking it so far. Wish there could have been a few angles around the ship even if they don't want is to see certain things yet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not a fan of the funnel design, and perhaps the first HAL ship without a promenade deck. Apparently HAL doesn't appreciate it's core audience. Unfortunate. A new era for HAL that is for sure.

I think that Promenade decks will go the way of the old Ocean Liners. They are wonderful for the passengers but generate no additional income with the footage they require. With cruises sold so cheap every free space needs to be revenue generating.

I see that P&O is taking the NL out on the S Class they are getting and putting in a photo studio.

I don't find it hard to pronounce - KOH (long O)-nings-dam.

I have a friend from The Netherlands who just called to give me the pronunciation.

I think K'dam will most likely be the way it is abbreviated here by many, and if pronounced, it would be KAY-dam.

I doubt there is a name they could have chosen that would be embraced by all. :rolleyes:

I think this name Koningsdam is difficult to pronounce in english, american, french etc.
At worst, it's no more difficult than Ryndam (Rijndam), which is routinely mispronounced by English speakers (given that there's no easy English equivalent to the Dutch vowel/diphthong "ij").

Googled this

www.ysa.no/?page=24

So Oceania ... Disney ... Seabourn ...

From HAL press release: To bring a fresh vision to ms Koningsdam, Holland America Line tapped Adam D. Tihany, one of the world’s pre-eminent hospitality designers. Tihany joins distinguished maritime designer and architect Bjorn Storbraaten who worked with Holland America Line on ms Nieuw Amsterdam and ms Eurodam. The two firms will create a modern and contemporary ambiance while incorporating Holland America Line’s classic hallmarks.

Edited by Oceanwench

Wow, that's a mouthful. Thx for the info.

Nah... Just say Cone-ings-dam. (Accent on the first syllable. Or Kingston if you want to anglicize it. ;)

I doubt it will be butchered more than Zuiderdam or Oosterdam. When we first took the Zuiderdam, our cab driver called it the Zweederdam, with a serious emphasis on the Zwee. We still call it that today. (We are easily amused.)

I am sure a few people here know the architects of this new ship?

I'd be interested what other ships they have recently designed.

From the official HAL publication, it seems they were also involved in the Eurodam and NieuwAmsterdam.

And it's going to be "the new flagship"?

Interesting....

Oh no, no way. Rotterdam is the flagship of the fleet and Amsterdam the sister flagship, both capable of higher speeds!

Main symbol for the flagships, are the double funnels, not in line, but adjacent!

In naval terms, a flagship houses the highest ranking officer in a battle group, no? Typically an admiral, I think. In terms of cruise line marketing, a flagship connotes the best representation or highest expression of a line's brand and offerings. (The pinnacle, if you will. ;)) I think HAL is making it clear by choosing a new name for a new class of ship that Koningsdam represents the newest expression of Holland America. I hope its a really good one.

And for all the folks that are worried that it will be "too big," it's barely going to be bigger than Norwegian's Jewel-class ships. Those are now viewed as medium-sized at best. For some perspective, Koningsdam, at less than 100,000GT will only be 60 percent the size of RCI's Quantum-class and Norwegian's Breakaway-plus class. So, she will still be, in fact, a small ship.

Googled this

www.ysa.no/?page=24

So Oceania ... Disney ... Seabourn ...

From HAL press release: To bring a fresh vision to ms Koningsdam, Holland America Line tapped Adam D. Tihany, one of the world’s pre-eminent hospitality designers. Tihany joins distinguished maritime designer and architect Bjorn Storbraaten who worked with Holland America Line on ms Nieuw Amsterdam and ms Eurodam. The two firms will create a modern and contemporary ambiance while incorporating Holland America Line’s classic hallmarks.

From the official HAL publication, it seems they were also involved in the Eurodam and NieuwAmsterdam.

Thanks. :)

Seems they chose to not incorporate Holland America's classic hallmark of all the way around Promenade Deck.

Oh no, no way. Rotterdam is the flagship of the fleet and Amsterdam the sister flagship, both capable of higher speeds!

Main symbol for the flagships, are the double funnels, not in line, but adjacent!

However, in the HAL site you posted: http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2014/09/15/introducing-ms-koningsdam-name-of-new-pinnacle-class-ship-revealed/, at the bottom of the page it says "Tell us if you plan to cruise on HAL's new flagship" or some such. Do you think that was just hyperbole!:)

Nah... Just say Cone-ings-dam. (Accent on the first syllable. Or Kingston if you want to anglicize it. ;)

I doubt it will be butchered more than Zuiderdam or Oosterdam. When we first took the Zuiderdam, our cab driver called it the Zweederdam, with a serious emphasis on the Zwee. We still call it that today. (We are easily amused.)

I've heard a lot of people call it the zweederdam. I never understood that.

I'm fascinated by all of the negative reactions to the choice of Koningsdam. I think it's an inspired choice given that the Netherlands has its first king in a very long time. It's also meant to imply, I think, that the Koningsdam is the King of Ships!

If I may also suggest, as a 46-year-old who cruises quite frequently and who intends to continue sailing as long as I can, I am likely closer to the target audience for this ship than some folks who have been sailing the line for decades. And while I enjoy walking around the promenade deck, I don't do it for very long. I'd rather enjoy the atmosphere at the Lido Pool or get a more effective workout at the gym. Or I'll listen to music in a club, or participate in a class, or some other activity. And I think I'm becoming more typical; folks want to be active on their cruise, while still relaxed.

And if you want to sit and gaze at the ocean, you can still book a balcony stateroom.

However, in the HAL site you posted: http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2014/09/15/introducing-ms-koningsdam-name-of-new-pinnacle-class-ship-revealed/, at the bottom of the page it says "Tell us if you plan to cruise on HAL's new flagship" or some such. Do you think that was just hyperbole!:)

Yes it is a hyperbole. I think during the whole history of Holland America, the Rotterdam has been the flagship, only once it was replaced by the former Statendam (not the current one), but with the Rotterdam VI, she again regained and still holds that title. On the Holland America website, Rotterdam is also called "Flagship of Excellence", with the Amsterdam as co-flagship. In commercial outputs, they will use the term flagship, I assume just as an indication of the new standard and greatness of the new addition.

I am sure a few people here know the architects of this new ship?

I'd be interested what other ships they have recently designed.

Tihany has only done the main dining rooms on Solstice class when it comes to ships. http://Www.tihanydesign.com shows his amazing portfolio though

Storbraaten has done many spaces on the signature class, the new seabourn ships, Viking river cruises longships and many others

Am I mistaken but didn't they say it was am employee 'contest' to pick the winning name? They really got a lot of employee recommendations for this name? :confused:

A friend at HAL told me John Scott, Henk Mensink and someone in the corporate offices all suggested it

A friend at HAL told me John Scott, Henk Mensink and someone in the corporate offices all suggested it

Interesting.

Captain, Hotel Director and Administrators.

Certainly very competent people with high credentials.