New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

My understanding is that at least one specialty restaurant will up above the aft pool behind the stack - perhaps two.

But it wouldn't surprise me that the glass area overlooking the Promenade is the atrium, with a restaurant thereas well.

It would be nice to have an outdoor component to the Atrium as well - like the outdoor "sidewalk" cafes on the new NCL and Carnival ships.

Believe the fairly popular opinion is the restaurant back of the stacks is Tamarind. A wake view from that restaurant would be glorious!

Two captains and hotel managers have told us Tamarind's location isn't good due to the sometimes extreme vibration and zero foot traffic. I seriously doubt they put a surcharge restaurant in that area again.

Moving it down and more center could work.

Two captains and hotel managers have told us Tamarind's location isn't good due to the sometimes extreme vibration and zero foot traffic. I seriously doubt they put a surcharge restaurant in that area again.

I've been told the same. Luckily, if it is aft of the stacks it should be off the aft elevator bank which will be very near the Lido restaurant and other food. Before, it was up near and one deck above the children areas that no one without kids really had any reason to go near.

That's true. When we were on those ships, many guests were confused how to get to Silk Den and Tamarind. It wasn't a location they found easily if not specifically directed.

NEWS KONINGSDAM the Holland America Line first detailed the itineraries for the new ship of the company, which is being built at Fincantieri's Marghera, ms Koningsdam.

His baptism will take place in Rotterdam in February 2016, and will have the presence of the King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands.

After the baptism, its inaugural cruise will depart from Rome (Civitavecchia), where do 7 day cruises. The summer of 2016 will be the new Pinnacle class ship in the Baltic region and Northern Europe.

Ms Koningsdam will bring innovations in services and concepts on Board that are not available in other ships of the fleet

Cristiano, was wondering where you got the information on the cruises Koningsdam will do. I have been searching and can't find anything. We would love to do another Baltics cruise, and on her. We are hoping the schedule will be out in February when we are on the Volendam so we can book then. Thanks for any info you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NEWS KONINGSDAM the Holland America Line first detailed the itineraries for the new ship of the company, which is being built at Fincantieri's Marghera, ms Koningsdam.

His baptism will take place in Rotterdam in February 2016, and will have the presence of the King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands.

After the baptism, its inaugural cruise will depart from Rome (Civitavecchia), where do 7 day cruises. The summer of 2016 will be the new Pinnacle class ship in the Baltic region and Northern Europe.

Ms Koningsdam will bring innovations in services and concepts on Board that are not available in other ships of the fleet

Thanks for the helpful information!! Where did you get it??

Here, I have browsed the cruiselist for Bergen 2016 again.

Now there is a ship listed with 99500 GT, in June, July and August.

She calls the 9th and 17th of June, 15th and 28th of July, 12th and 26th of August 2016.

Look here:

http://www.cruise-norway.no/Arrivals.aspx?zone=8&start=01.05.2016&end=31.10.2016&ports=8

This should be Koningsdam, those ones with 99150 and 99526 GT are "Mein Schiff 4" or sisters...

I think the route may be correct, though I doubt the Koningsdam will be baptized in Rotterdam, given the route in the Mediterranean. Either baptism will be in Venice (like the Nieuw Amsterdam was baptized by now Queen Maxima), or the inaugural cruise will start in Rotterdam to the North. Going back and forth to the Mediterranean, does not make any sense, nor will it be economical!

Maybe before her christening, she offers several cruises in Med between Feb and April, and than she will be christened in Rotterdam somewhat in April...

Nowadays it is reltively often that ships offer a wide range of cruises before actually being christened.

Wasn't it the same case with Regal Princess or the Carnival Dream class???

Koningsdam is also listed for Honningsvag (Norway) - the port for North Cape excursions. Have a look:

http://www.cruise-norway.no/Arrivals.aspx?zone=10&start=01.05.2016&end=31.10.2016&ports=10

Seems she seems to sail the Norway cruises from Rotterdam, and sometimes Baltic... :)

With Ryndam leaving, her itineraries are all available.

Two captains and hotel managers have told us Tamarind's location isn't good due to the sometimes extreme vibration...

A few years back, my parents and I were aboard Eurodam, and we found ourselves having dinner w/ the Captain in the Tamarind.

As we sat there chatting and catching up, I noticed how the room was vibrating to the extent that his wineglass (He only had one glass the entire night) was moving across the table towards the front of the ship.

So I turned to the Captain and asked, "How fast is the ship traveling tonite?" to which he replied, "I told them to keep it at 18 knots"

"Well if the ship is doing 18 knots, your wine is doing 19."

:D

Great story Brian and so true. Depending on the ships speed the vibrations in the Tamarind can get pretty dramatic.

Have been told on four different Signature Class ship cruises the Tamarind specialty restaurant on the Pinnacle Class will be above the Lido.

Edited by aliaschief

A few years back, my parents and I were aboard Eurodam, and we found ourselves having dinner w/ the Captain in the Tamarind.

As we sat there chatting and catching up, I noticed how the room was vibrating to the extent that his wineglass (He only had one glass the entire night) was moving across the table towards the front of the ship.

So I turned to the Captain and asked, "How fast is the ship traveling tonite?" to which he replied, "I told them to keep it at 18 knots"

"Well if the ship is doing 18 knots, your wine is doing 19."

:D

Just carrying on the tradition of the former Nieuw Amsterdam :)

And, why there? Mid-ship and on a high deck. Really made no sense to me. Certainly felt nothing towards the stern, i.e. in the dining room.

I don't know but no engineer here and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night so have no clue.:rolleyes:

The name says it all ...Knowledge as a three star Mariner is King! November is the Big announcing time or at least that is what the Statendam told me last week ... the theatre comment is mostly true ....

Jump to: navigation, search

MS Koningsdam - HAL rendering 2014.jpeg

HAL rendering of MS Koningsdam

Career

Name: Koningsdam

Namesake: Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands

Operator: Holland America Line

Port of registry: Netherlands

Builder: Fincantieri

In service: due 2016

General characteristics

Class & type: Pinnacle class cruise ship

Tonnage: 99,500 GT

Capacity: 2,650 passengers

MS Koningsdam is an upcoming cruise ship under construction for Holland America Line, a division of Carnival Corporation. The first of the Pinnacle class ships, it is due to be delivered by its builder, Fincantieri, in February 2016. The ship's name honours Willem-Alexander, the first King of the Netherlands in over a century. Koningsdam will be by far the largest ship ever to be constructed for Holland America Line, and the first HAL ship to bear that name. Here's a link to the inner workings corporate report!

My Cruise and Vacations calls for an inaugural sail! See you on board!

I spoke with HAL and found I could make a deposit to get on the call list for the first sailing. But they could not tell me when or where the sailing would be. If it is a Feb sailing in the Med....what would the weather be like, especially if its a western med route? I have not made a HAL maiden/inaugural as of yet, but not sure it would be worth it.

Sailing solo at 2x the price, not to mention airfare and at least a one night hotel pre cruise stay.

In the meantime I am saving for Europa 2 in the second half of 2016.

But this HAL ship is still a possibility.

As to the discussion of dinning rooms...I have never understood the need for a high up location with big windows when at night you cant see anything....either drapes are closed or if open the reflection on the glass makes them into mirrors. Now I will give the MSC Divina credit for the Galaxy restaurant with views over the pool area, even though the décor was poor...and the room doubling as a disco area did not work well.

But to all that posted above, thanks for all the insight and additional info.

I have not heard reports on vibration in premium restaurants on the Cunard Queens. The location is the same as Tamarind. Probably I missed something.

I believe the losses of wrap-around promenade and midship superstructure (Tamarind & private sun deck) are pretty dramatic.

It does not seem that the new HAL ship will be handicapped as drastically as the Royal Princess was, but dramatic losses in ship design need to be compensated by dramatic design additions in other areas.... that I don't see so far.:(

Edited by cruisetrail

I spoke with HAL and found I could make a deposit to get on the call list for the first sailing. But they could not tell me when or where the sailing would be. If it is a Feb sailing in the Med....what would the weather be like, especially if its a western med route? I have not made a HAL maiden/inaugural as of yet, but not sure it would be worth it.

Sailing solo at 2x the price, not to mention airfare and at least a one night hotel pre cruise stay.

<snip>

HAL Mariners Society sent an e-mail today about the new ship. There wasn't any new information about Koningsdam that we didn't already know from reading here but at the bottom of the e-mail, there was a place to make a comment if you were thinking you might be interested in sailing the Inaugural Voyage.

It was a well done e-mail, I thought, and included information about a new property they bought in Alaska.