Your favorite Alaska excursion?

fdpevey

My husband and I (both 60+) are taking our first Alaska cruise this July – and we are OVERWHELMED by the number of port excursions (both by the ship and private companies).

In our past experience, there was something unique at each port – for Alaska each port seems to have the same wide number of similar options. We’re doing the typical stops )Denali National Park/Mt.McKinley [tour in advance of cruise], Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan then end in Vancouver).

So, for those of you who have done this trip – what is YOUR favorite tour memory? What is the ONE thing you would want to do again if you went again?

Your stories may help me narrow down my choices. Thanks,

My husband and I (both 60+) are taking our first Alaska cruise this July – and we are OVERWHELMED by the number of port excursions (both by the ship and private companies).

In our past experience, there was something unique at each port – for Alaska each port seems to have the same wide number of similar options. We’re doing the typical stops )Denali National Park/Mt.McKinley [tour in advance of cruise], Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan then end in Vancouver).

So, for those of you who have done this trip – what is YOUR favorite tour memory? What is the ONE thing you would want to do again if you went again?

Your stories may help me narrow down my choices. Thanks,

Boy, that's a hard one.

And, sorry, I can't narrow it down to one.

My votes go for the White Pass Railroad in Skagway; doing AT LEAST (but doing a longer one, if possible) the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali (but also enjoyed Husky Homestead Tour there); River Float trip in Kluane National Park (out of Whitehorse Yukon); Kenai Fjords boat tour from Seward.

Edited by Shmoo here

We took an airplane tour over Misty Fjords with Island Wings. We lucked out with fabulous weather that day and it was a wonderful experience. We also enjoyed whale watching and the Mendenhall Glacier. We did that with Princess on our first Alaska cruise in 2008 but will do it through a private company on our upcoming second Alaska cruise in May. We took the scenic railroad in Skagway, pea soup fog rolled in 10 minutes into the train ride and we couldn't see two feet out the window the entire trip. Others have had beautiful weather for that excursion, but we won't try it again. We also plan to snorkel in Ketchikan on this next cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My fav was the float plane flight over the Misty Fiords in Ketchikan, and it wasn't pre-planned! We were amongst the first off the ship and there was a guy selling flights at a discount to the first few passengers off the ship. It was still a bit foggy (aka 'misty':rolleyes: lol, we live in the Maritimes) and the guy said if we took off and the visibility wasn't great, they would return and we would have a short free flight. A driver took us to their office at their pier to board the plane. While waiting for a short film to begin, the cruise ship excursion arrived! We had headphones with Angelic :):):)music, landed, climbed onto the pontoons, took pictures and took off again. Unexpected and fun.

I enjoyed the flight as much or more than the train ride in Skagway to the Yukon (that was also awesome) and WAY better than whale watching in Juneau where the weather was terrible (a storm, really) and we barely caught a glimpse of a whale from FAR away! We got pounded - never again!

Honestly, the cruise was too cool:cool: for me and we probably won't do an Alaska cruise again. However, glad we did it once.

Juneau - Helicopter to glacier and dogsledding in the snow,

Orca Enterprises, whale watching with Capt. Larry

Ketchikan - Island Wings to the Misty Fjords

Skagway - Chilkoot Charters 7 hr. Discover The Yukon By Bus Adventure

The white Pass RR in Skagway . Either by itself or part of a tour to Emerald Lqke. All tours to Fraser and Emerald require a passport to cross the US/Canada border both ways. Since you are going thru Vancouver you'll need a passport to fly out of Canada to the US.

Edited by Kamloops50

In Juneau, Whale Watching with Harv and Marv and a helicopter ride and glacier landing with Coastal Helicoptor. Both were privately booked (i.e. not Princess excursions) and were fantastic. We did the Misty Fjords float plane flight with Michelle from Island Wings in Ketchikan also. It was also great but the two excursions in Juneau were the highlights of our cruise.

This shorex is in Juneau and has been voted best Alaskan shorex several years in a row.

It is nothing short of breathtaking.

http://www.takulodge.com/flight-and-feast-tour.html

Mike:)

My vote too!!! :D Excellent excellent excellent!! :)

In the top 2!!

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We did a private flight with Island Wings inland to see the bears feeding off the salmon as they swam upstream...we landed on the water and hiked about a half mile to a stream where we entered blinds that had been set up for the bear viewing. We were no more than 20 feet or less away from watching the bears, it was right near the top of the incredible tours I have taken in the 11 years we have been cruising....Loved it, and it scratched off one of my bucket list must dos.

Sissy

These flight and helicopter tours look fantastic! But . . . what happens if the weather turns really bad, like heavy rain or fog? Do they cancel and give you a full refund? Just asking :D

Yes, no problem.

Once we even took off in a heli tour in a light rain and we went up and over the mountains about 12-15 min and the pilot said, "I am afraid this looks too rough we need to go back". After we landed he apologized for the weather and said don't worry you won't be charged for this.

Yes, no problem.

Once we even took off in a heli tour in a light rain and we went up and over the mountains about 12-15 min and the pilot said, "I am afraid this looks too rough we need to go back". After we landed he apologized for the weather and said don't worry you won't be charged for this.

That's good to know! We will look into doing something like this next time we go to Alaska! Thanks!

My favorite is the all day trip from Juneau to Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound. I've done this about 5 time and will repeat again.

Other great ones are the Lake Bennett train/bus trip out of Skagway, or just renting a car for the drive into the Yukon. Whale watching with Capt Larry/Orca, flightseeing with Island Wings to Misty Fjords, or just flightseeing anywhere.

Lots to see and do in Alaska :)

For me, I never recommend the Tundra Wilderness tour, my choice is always to at least Eielson. :)

My touring choices always flying. Nothing shows the beauty and vastness of Alaska more. I'm over 50 flights in Alaska, my priority which I never tire of. I especially like flying in the Arctic and will be repeating a trip to Prudhoe Bay this year, with my nephew.

Tough call, but I would have to say the helicopter landing on the Mendenhaul Glacier in Juneau. Never will forget that one.

White Pass Railroad was also great, as was our whale watching tour in Juneau (Allen Marine).

DaveOKC

We are on Radiance 22nd August an purely from feed back from CC we have booked Harv & Marv whale watching. Misty Fjords with Michelle, and the white Pass Rail at Skagway. All easy to book yourself I've done it from the UK. You can't go wrong with the advice you will get here. Good Luck.

Gaynor

Canadian Rockies /Alaskan cruisetour August 2014.

Caribbean Oasis August 2013

Mediterranean Independence August 2008

Edited by Cookiecookie
Spelling

Since you are cruising in July I would not wait much longer to book your excursions, especially if you are looking at private excursions separate from the ship. Some may already be full and you may have to go with a Plan B.

On our upcoming cruise sailing June 1, we've book Island Wings in Ketchikan,

Harv and Marv's in Juneau and a car to drive to Emerald Lake in Skagway.

I can't pick one! We loved everything we did:

Denali - white water rafting with Denali Raft Adventures (get Chicago as your guide)...Midnight ATV ride (can't remember the company, but take 100% DEET and spray everything or you'll get bit by tons of mosquitos)...Shuttle ride to Wonder Lake in Denali National Park (long day, but BEAUTIFUL scenery - may only go as far as Eielson next time)

Glacier View - trekking on the Matanuska Glacier with my now 18yo soon to be college freshman - quality Mommy Son time

Anchorage - Alaska Railroad to Seward - GORGEOUS

Seward - Kenai Fjords tour with Major Marine on our day of arrival and then SeaLife Center with a Marine Mammal Encounter in the morning and then boarding our ship in the afternoon.

Juneau - took the Mt. Roberts Tram and had lunch at the top of the mountain. Watched eagles flying right by our window! The day was sunny and warm so don't do it if it's cloudy & rainy - the views won't be nearly as spectacular.

Skagway - White Pass Railroad to Emerald Lake & Yukon with Chilkoot Charters (hopefully you get Stanley if she's still working there - funny and very informative)

Icy Strait Point - whale watching with Glacier Winds - DH caught a whale breech on camera 3 times - full breech from nose up all they way through to tail down. (use the sport mode on your camera for the best chance to catch this)

Ketchikan - flight seeing with Island Wings to Misty Fjord National Monument

Yes it looks like we packed in a lot of stuff, but we really weren't tired. Everything was pretty well spread out so we wouldn't exhaust ourselves. If it had been cloudy in Juneau, we probably would have taken the Big Blue Bus to Mendenhall Glacier and walked around.

Next time we go, I have to plan it so we can see more bears. Don't try and do everything - you'll never make it. Do what interests you the most. We wanted to see wildlife and some glaciers - DONE - Kenai Fjords tour fulfilled the wildlife requirements above and beyond what we expected. Plus we saw quite a bit in Denali. In addition to our trekking on a glacier, we saw a few on our Kenai Fjords tour plus we saw some on our train ride from Anchorage to Seward and we saw Hubbard on our cruise. Bonus was being able to see Mt. McKinley (Denali) 3 times - full mountain! It was on my wish list, but since full mountain sightings are so rare, I never truly thought I'd see it once - 3 times just blew me away!