Crown Coastal, just back

avalon1025

I'd thought I'd do a highlights review of my cruise on the Crown Princess from 4/17 till 4/26

The Good:

Crew was great, especially the crew in Sabatinis and Adajio

Ship was in good condition, they were changing out the outdoor carpet throughout the voyage

The itinerary, living in California it was fun to be a tourist in all the cities I lived in or have visited many times

Food was good, we ended up eating in Sabatinis and Crown grill each night so I can't comment on the dining room except for one lunch that was crowded and noisy

The Meh:

Embarkation, still no one knows why they let some people on then stopped for hours. On board it was due to noro, or customs or whatever was convenient to say

Horizon court: quite possibly the worst casual eatery on any of the major ships, bad layout, crowded and who thought after so many virus issues that big bowls of communal jams and jellies are ok? Gross seeing people digging in with their own utensils

The Crowds: this was my first time on one of these super grand class ships and boy are they crowded. Lines everywhere. These ships are certainly not for cooler itineraries where all the passengers are inside

We did receive some of the Elite bathroom amenities, just once... They were never replenished even though we asked over and over

We did have fun and for the price paid, wasn't expecting much.

I would agree with your review as we too were on the same ship. I might add that the disembark was a miss. No crowd control, all groups fighting to get off at the same time. Customs held up, totally stopped for 40 minutes causing some anxious moments for early flights at LAX. We were

inviting to the most traveled cocktail party. We were assigned seats, a couple of officer CSR and future cruise came around to speak to guests.

Most traveled had 1437, and the top three had over 1,000 days. Not sure what the cut off was, but was probally high. The Captain circle person

Cameron Willians only talked to the top three. The Captain showed up 5 minutes before the end of the party. In talking to a couple of people at breakfast the next day, we found out that this captain does only Cocktail parties, no pictures and show up just before end. Also there was no departure louge for elites and platium guest. Cruise was interesting though, and for the price we paid was a good deal.

I'd thought I'd do a highlights review of my cruise on the Crown Princess from 4/17 till 4/26

The Good:

Ship was in good condition, they were changing out the outdoor carpet throughout the voyage

The itinerary, living in California it was fun to be a tourist in all the cities I lived in or have visited many times

Food was good, we ended up eating in Sabatinis and Crown grill each night so I can't comment on the dining room except for one lunch that was crowded and noisy

The Meh:

Embarkation, still no one knows why they let some people on then stopped for hours. On board it was due to noro, or customs or whatever was convenient to say

Horizon court: quite possibly the worst casual eatery on any of the major ships, bad layout, crowded and who thought after so many virus issues that big bowls of communal jams and jellies are ok? Gross seeing people digging in with their own utensils

The Crowds: this was my first time on one of these super grand class ships and boy are they crowded. Lines everywhere. These ships are certainly not for cooler itineraries where all the passengers are inside

We did receive some of the Elite bathroom amenities, just once... They were never replenished even though we asked over and over

We did have fun and for the price paid, wasn't expecting much.

Thanks for the comments.

. The Captain showed up 5 minutes before the end of the party. In talking to a couple of people at breakfast the next day, we found out that this captain does only Cocktail parties, no pictures and show up just before end. Also there was no departure louge for elites and platium guest. Cruise was interesting though, and for the price we paid was a good deal.

Thats pretty lame. :rolleyes:

We never use the disembarkation lounge, never anyone checking at the door and its full so you can't find a seat. :rolleyes:

I would agree with your review as we too were on the same ship. I might add that the disembark was a miss. No crowd control, all groups fighting to get off at the same time. Customs held up, totally stopped for 40 minutes causing some anxious moments for early flights at LAX. We were

inviting to the most traveled cocktail party. We were assigned seats, a couple of officer CSR and future cruise came around to speak to guests.

Most traveled had 1437, and the top three had over 1,000 days. Not sure what the cut off was, but was probally high. The Captain circle person

Cameron Willians only talked to the top three. The Captain showed up 5 minutes before the end of the party. In talking to a couple of people at breakfast the next day, we found out that this captain does only Cocktail parties, no pictures and show up just before end. Also there was no departure louge for elites and platium guest. Cruise was interesting though, and for the price we paid was a good deal.

Agree about the disembarkation, hundreds on the pier waiting to get through one door and no one stopping people form getting off the ship and just making it worse. Was at the end of that cocktail party in Adajio, no one spoke to us. Awkward cruise in many places. Having just come off Celebrity Silhouette the difference in overall quality was vast

(Quote) Most traveled had 1437, and the top three had over 1,000 days. Not sure what the cut off was, but was probally high. The Captain circle person

We were on the B2B Coastal/Mexican April 5 to April 19. There were Most Traveled Luncheons on both of those cruises. We didn't make the first one but were at the second. The cut off was 328 days with the most traveled with over 1400 and second and third both over 1000. Probably the same passengers as at yours as I know 2 of the couples were staying on, not sure about the third. We had our pictures taken with Captain Foster and he stayed for lunch but left as desert was being served

Agree about the disembarkation, hundreds on the pier waiting to get through one door and no one stopping people form getting off the ship and just making it worse. Was at the end of that cocktail party in Adajio, no one spoke to us. Awkward cruise in many places. Having just come off Celebrity Silhouette the difference in overall quality was vast

The name of the bar is actually Adagio. See, everyone makes mistakes!

As for embarkation and embarkation, problems are usually due to surprise inspections or customs. It appears thAt you will be returning to Celebrity. I guess Celebrity never makes mistakes and spearhead smooth sailings. Enjoy!

As for embarkation and embarkation, problems are usually due to surprise inspections or customs. It appears thAt you will be returning to Celebrity. I guess Celebrity never makes mistakes and spearhead smooth sailings. Enjoy!

Never said celebrity does not make mistakes, but the quality of cruise was (to me) far superior on the silhouette then on the crown last week. And thank you for correcting my spelling, what a nice person you are, especially since the spelling of adagio is the point of this thread. It would have been so nice for anyone on that ship to say, yes, there were embarkation issues and we hope you enjoy your cruise. No one ever addressed it and it was a fail on the part of Princess.

It would be difficult to ever sail crown or her sisters again, she's a step down from the less populated ships that previously served the west coast

Edited by avalon1025

Never said celebrity does not make mistakes, but the quality of cruise was (to me) far superior on the silhouette then on the crown last week. t

Most ratings do put Celebrity higher than Princess. At one time, they were on par according to ratings, but that was several years ago.

I too was on this cruise and agree with most of what is being said. Arriving at the pier was difficult with two ships and a special celebration on the Iowa, it took 45 min to drive the last mile. So I will admit nerves were already frayed when we reached the pier to find long lines outside at noon with no one being allowed onto the ship. There was no crowd control and people were actually putting there hands on my walker to climb over me, and squeeze their way into line in front of me. Princess is not responsible for peoples bad behavior, but everyone was just left standing outside with no information or attempt to control the crowd.

The food was generally good to very good, with the exception of Horizon Court for breakfast. they had you order the omelet then stand there for 10 minutes waiting for it in the way of those trying to get their own breakfast. Other ship have had you sit down and give the slip with your order number on it to the wait staff, and they brought your omelet later, I wish the Crown had this. Also many ships have had a do it yourself Eggs Benedict station, I did not see this on the mornings we ate there.

The service in the bars was great, available but not pushy. The ship was very clean, and the staff was very friendly and welcoming.

The entertainment was good at night, but there seemed to be fewer activities during the day, maybe because there were only two sea days.

There was a big problem on the last morning because the doors to the dining room were blocked by equipment. When went to guest services to ask which dining room was open and they told us to go to the Horizon Court. Several guest were there and we pointed out that the disembarkation info said the dining room on deck 5 was open. They tried to call around to the dining room but could get no answer. An employee passing by said go behind the elevators and we could enter behind the closed and blocked doors. We did and found an almost empty room. We told them people couldn't find them and they just smiled.

There was no special room for Platinum to disembark, so we went to the assigned room for our tags. They called the first group early, and we were in the second group and waited, and waited, the smell of the fuel was so bad over half of the people were holding their nose or putting something over their nose. I went up to the desk where the girl had been and no one was there. People started leaving to get away from the smell and because no one was calling tags. Because of the smell and the fact that it was after our time I got my DH to try and wait outside the dining room with me and the girl was rushing in, she grabbed the microphone and said anyone still here from Gold 4 please go to 7 now. she had never called that number. When we got upstairs everyone was just pushing to get out and they were not checking luggage tags.

So getting on the ship was horrible, getting off was bad, but the cruise was wonderful and I would do it again.

Interesting. We were on the Emerald in January and had ours replenished without asking. However, you now only get a sub par bath gel and body lotion. The entire bathroom ensemble has been cheapened from the past. Princess has to watch these penny saving actions that get poor customer reviews, but have a large impact on customer satisfaction. Their bathroom soaps, shampoo/conditioner have now been "WalMarted." Not a good direction.

Please remember everyone has an opinion based upon their expectations. I go on a cruise with expectancy.

We recently were on the Royal and prior to the cruise, if you listened to the spectrum of reviews, you would have cancelled! However, the Royal was wonderful. The Horizon Court was the best out of 47 cruises and the aft balconies just right.

The bottom line -- go on a cruise with expectancy, not expectation.

Please remember everyone has an opinion based upon their expectations. I go on a cruise with expectancy.

We recently were on the Royal and prior to the cruise, if you listened to the spectrum of reviews, you would have cancelled! However, the Royal was wonderful. The Horizon Court was the best out of 47 cruises and the aft balconies just right.

The bottom line -- go on a cruise with expectancy, not expectation.

Very well pointed out.

We are booking the Royal for next year to try out. Even after reading the horror reveiws, I have read as many complimentary ones. Like buying cars, or picking an airline, I am going to find someone who will never fly or bye that one again. Just as I will find someone who swears they will never bye or fly anything else.

The Good:

Food was good, we ended up eating in Sabatinis and Crown grill each night

Embarkation, still no one knows why they let some people on then stopped for hours.

I love the position of Adajio and Sabatinis on the Crown/Ruby/Emerald sisters. One of my favourite spots on these ships. Always had pre-dinner drinks at Adajio before retiring to Sabatini's to eat. Wasn't the staff exceptional at Sabatini's on the crown!!

The Crown grill on the Crown princess would have to be my favourite restaurant at sea (at present - still more cruise line classes I haven't tried around the planet).

My Crown cruise was from Southhampton. The embarkation and disembarkation was done exceptional well to military precision. Given how I see the british organise the crowds of 100's of thousands at those Royal weddings, I'm not suprised who well they handle a few thousand onto a ship.

Oh dear, have a problem with Celebrity do we?

And just pointing out you have put "embarkation and embarkation" so you are right everyone does make mistakes.

Edited by dwhe