Tipping situation?

What is the suggested tip on RCCL? Is it possible to be altered at the purser's desk if we have poor service? On a TR I saw you could tip using envelopes, is this possible?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What is the suggested tip on RCCL? Is it possible to be altered at the purser's desk if we have poor service? On a TR I saw you could tip using envelopes, is this possible?

The automatic daily tip is $12 per person per day.

As long as you have not prepaid tips, you can go to Guest Services and modify the tips.

Yes tipping can be altered. IMHO why do people even consider they might have bad service before hand.

Everybody can have a bad day. Here is why I wouldn't even consider it:

1) I am basically waited on by someone who works 16 hr days.

2) I leave my cabin and come back to a clean room at least twice a day. Do we do that at home?

3) we are not cleaning up after eating 3 or more meals a day, let alone cooking it.

4) You have the crew who spend months away from their families, including their kids because the pay is still better than they could make in their native land.

A great book is Cruise Confidential that gives a great insight on the inner workings of an employee of the cruise lines. Was written by an American, and gives you a greater appreciation of what a work day/ week/month is like.

Yes tipping can be altered. IMHO why do people even consider they might have bad service before hand.

Everybody can have a bad day. Here is why I wouldn't even consider it:

1) I am basically waited on by someone who works 16 hr days.

2) I leave my cabin and come back to a clean room at least twice a day. Do we do that at home?

3) we are not cleaning up after eating 3 or more meals a day, let alone cooking it.

4) You have the crew who spend months away from their families, including their kids because the pay is still better than they could make in their native land.

A great book is Cruise Confidential that gives a great insight on the inner workings of an employee of the cruise lines. Was written by an American, and gives you a greater appreciation of what a work day/ week/month is like.

We are not expecting poor service, we had amazing service on Carnival. Yes I believe they deserve the tip. Has anyone noticed that tips are increasing every year? In my 2010 guidebook it lists as 10 bucks a person a day and now it is 12!?

We are not expecting poor service, we had amazing service on Carnival. Yes I believe they deserve the tip. Has anyone noticed that tips are increasing every year? In my 2010 guidebook it lists as 10 bucks a person a day and now it is 12!?

The price of most things goes up over the years with inflation. I can think of very few services that I am paying the same price for in 2014 as I was 4 years ago.

Do you still get paid what you were paid four years ago doing the same job? I hope not. The cost of living has gone up and so should pay.

Do you still get paid what you were paid four years ago doing the same job? I hope not. The cost of living has gone up and so should pay.

Good point.

On a TR I saw you could tip using envelopes, is this possible?

Additional gratuities can be made in cash to whomever you feel deserving by way of envelopes that are available at guest services.

Note that if you choose My Time Dining the gratuities are prepaid in full compared to early / late seating dining options which has the charges made daily to your SeaPass account.

The tips have not increased each year - the adjustment to the current amounts was one time in the time frame you indicate.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

What about doctors? I think they get paid less.

After awhile most careers top out. It has to! As far as MD's they also do less so I don't feel sorry. I know of a neurosurgeon who complained that he would not be able to retire because of the increases costs of maintaining his second home etc.. Whahhh. The staff on cruise ships work long hours waiting on people who make tens of thousands more than they do and they depend mostly on their tips.i just consider the tips part of the cost of cruising, and the occasional poor performer gets blessed along with the good ones but it all works out. :)

After awhile most careers top out. It has to! As far as MD's they also do less so I don't feel sorry. I know of a neurosurgeon who complained that he would not be able to retire because of the increases costs of maintaining his second home etc.. Whahhh. The staff on cruise ships work long hours waiting on people who make tens of thousands more than they do and they depend mostly on their tips.i just consider the tips part of the cost of cruising, and the occasional poor performer gets blessed along with the good ones but it all works out. :)

They do less? :confused:

It should be $15 per day. For me, it's just part of the cruise fare and I tip extra to those that have given me special service. DL and CL staff along with others that deserve recognition.

It's called inflation. If you thought Carnival service was great your going to love the service on RC.:rolleyes:

I say tip as you feel or what you can afford.Not what others tell you.Your question was can you change the auto tipping,yes you can change the amount or cancel it.Have a great cruise. :)

From personal experience (my husband is a physician) I can tell you doctors are working more and earning less than 4 years ago. DH leaves the house in the morning before the kids & I are awake, and doesn't get home till 9 pm or later. I'm not sure where pp is getting his/her erroneous information.

Oh, and no vacation home here. We live in a modest family home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It should be $15 per day. For me, it's just part of the cruise fare and I tip extra to those that have given me special service. DL and CL staff along with others that deserve recognition.

Just to be clear on one point, regardless of whether it should be $15 v the suggested $12, the Concierge Lounge and Diamond Club staff are not included in the flat daily gratuity rate and any gratuity to them - as with any additional gratuity to the wait staff and stateroom attendants - would need to be paid separately and in cash.

And the rate for suite guests (grand suite and higher) is $14.25 per person per day, with the additional amount going to the stateroom attendants.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Think about everything your buy plus car and house insurance, utilities, entertainment fees even fast food restaurants go up constantly so that is the reason tips have gone up a measly $2.00 per day.

I say tip as you feel or what you can afford.Not what others tell you.Your question was can you change the auto tipping,yes you can change the amount or cancel it.Have a great cruise. :)

And I say if you can't afford the minimum tip called for, you really can't afford to cruise in the first place. I consider what the cruiseline charges to be the minimum offered and superior service should be rewarded with additional tips. If you get what you consider poor service, speak up. We've asked for different servers a couple of times over the years. No sense suffering in silence.

We're actually debating whether or not Doctors are paid enough??????

I'm willing to bet that the amount that a Cabin Steward makes in a year is maybe a few days work for even the most underpaid Doctor.

Tip what you think the staff deserves. If you want to tip in all cash, then go to guest services and cancel your automatic withdrawl. I suspect you'll agree that the staff is underpaid and will tip more. The reason My Time Dining tips are prepaid is because too many people "stiffed" the staff! But do what you think is right.

And if you're one of those poor doctors who are underpaid, just choose one of the staff and give them a free office visit. That will about cover the entire amount that you'll give the entire staff for a week of excellent service. They won't be able to split it up, but maybe the staff member you select will be willing to share his tips with the other staff members to make up for it.

I'm willing to bet that the amount that a Cabin Steward makes in a year is maybe a few days work for even the most underpaid Doctor.

Like!

I find it to just be easier to consider it as part of the cruise and pay it ahead of time. Then if I feel someone goes above and beyond I pay extra. I love prepaying ahead. When I'm paying for 4 people I'd much rather just consider it as part of the cost and get it over with. Now what I hate is the service fees added on to everything now like concert tickets. Those fees are ridiculous but I feel the tipped amount per person per day on a cruise is a pretty small price considering what we would be paying in any other restaurant or hotel elsewhere.

It is funny that this turned into an argument about doctors. I feel like if they want to go to school and work as hard as they do, more power to them if they have nice stuff. I don't know one doctor who doesn't work his tail off though.

Debbie

Tip what you think the staff deserves. If you want to tip in all cash, then go to guest services and cancel your automatic withdrawl. I suspect you'll agree that the staff is underpaid and will tip more. The reason My Time Dining tips are prepaid is because too many people "stiffed" the staff! But do what you think is right.

And if you're one of those poor doctors who are underpaid, just choose one of the staff and give them a free office visit. That will about cover the entire amount that you'll give the entire staff for a week of excellent service. They won't be able to split it up, but maybe the staff member you select will be willing to share his tips with the other staff members to make up for it.

Include the the tips in with the price of the cruise.And they will rise and fall with the price of the cruise. Then everyone pays :)