Silhouette Alert

MaisonRose

We seem to be training new crew on the Silly, service in DR spotty and food ranging from v. Good to inedible.

Celebrity has switched to generic tea brand, so if you are picky bring your own!

No DVD on board so if you have a PRESENTATION TO GIVE BRING A PC WITH DVD PLAYER. They have a wire for MS products.

if you use an Apple you will need an adaptor for the conx to the screen.

Food has been mediocre to v. Good...rack of lamb, grilled chicken breast nice...pad Thai terrible. DR morning eggs, soft and poached overcooked.

Toast, English muffins and bagels low quality.

Long lines at the iLounges...screams of frustration over internet conx.

Cutbacks quite evident on ship.

Susan from port of Funchal. April 28 2014

Doesn't sound good. I was really looking forward to the Silhouette. Hope they have everything together by November. Loved the Eclipse last year, but was disappointed by both the Solstice last Fall and the Century in February. Am hoping this is not a trend, as some are saying.

Sorry to hear about this bad experience. Hope things improve before our June sailing.

Are TA's sometimes challenging because there are so many Elites on board and such a need for activity? I was surprised to hear on another thread today that the internet connection was so bad and folks were irate. Guess I would not have expected good connections in the middle of the Atlantic but that's probably because I am a newbie.

"Switched to a generic tea brand" Where was this served? A month ago there was many selections of tea in the buffet and good selection of teas that could be ordered in the MDR. And wonderful specialty teas in Cafe el Bachio

There was a new brand of tea on the Century in February. It was a brand I had never heard of before and was available all over the ship, in the buffet, in the MDR, at the Elite Afternoon Tea, etc. I tried three types, English Breakfast, Darjeeling and one other, and couldn't get any tea flavour out of any of them, no matter how long I steeped the bag. I drink my tea clear, and prefer it light, as opposed to strong, and am not a tea snob by any means, but this was probably the worst tea I have ever had. At the Elite Afternoon Tea, many people at our table were discussing how poor the tea was.

I love Celebrity cruises, and really do hate to complain, but I do feel that some of the changes I have seen lately are worth commenting upon, just to give a heads up to others. Coming from a Brit home, I do know that tea can be really important to some people, so if it a decent cup of tea is important to you, you might consider bringing your own tea bags along, or be prepared to get Tea Forte from Café al Bacio. I find it to be excellent.

I was surprised to hear on another thread today that the internet connection was so bad and folks were irate. Guess I would not have expected good connections in the middle of the Atlantic but that's probably because I am a newbie.

A ship's access to the internet is via satellite, which doesn't care where on the globe you are. The problems are mainly caused by the fact that everyone on board shares that same internet connection (which is why you'll normally have an easier time accessing the internet very early in the morning before others are awake).

I realize that some folks have to stay "connected" while on vacation for work and/or family reasons. Many others really do not. A couple of cruises ago, my spouse and I decided to go "unplugged." We realized how much time we spent on line (on things like Cruise Critic ;) ) that we could easily give up (and should give up) while on vacation. So we did not buy an internet package, and it was wonderful to give ourselves that freedom. Again, I totally understand that not everyone can do that.

There was a new brand of tea on the Century in February. It was a brand I had never heard of before and was available all over the ship, in the buffet, in the MDR, at the Elite Afternoon Tea, etc. I tried three types, English Breakfast, Darjeeling and one other, and couldn't get any tea flavour out of any of them, no matter how long I steeped the bag. I drink my tea clear, and prefer it light, as opposed to strong, and am not a tea snob by any means, but this was probably the worst tea I have ever had. At the Elite Afternoon Tea, many people at our table were discussing how poor the tea was.

I love Celebrity cruises, and really do hate to complain, but I do feel that some of the changes I have seen lately are worth commenting upon, just to give a heads up to others. Coming from a Brit home, I do know that tea can be really important to some people, so if it a decent cup of tea is important to you, you might consider bringing your own tea bags along, or be prepared to get Tea Forte from Café al Bacio. I find it to be excellent.

Hope thet retain Tea Fortevat Cafe baccio....how sad to have to bring your own tea to the ship!

I will hold judgement until I try it. There are other options if I don't like it.

I would be interested to hear what others think of the new brand of tea now found in the buffet, etc. It is also possible that the change in tea is temporary, and was the result of a supply problem, which can happen.

Christine, you are Elite Plus, right? You can get complimentary Tea Forte in Cova or Café al Bacio. My favourite place on the ship!

The complimentary specialty beverages are one of my favourite perks from the enhanced loyalty programme, and I take my hat off to Celebrity for doing a great job there.

We seem to be training new crew on the Silly, service in DR spotty and food ranging from v. Good to inedible.

Celebrity has switched to generic tea brand, so if you are picky bring your own!

No DVD on board so if you have a PRESENTATION TO GIVE BRING A PC WITH DVD PLAYER. They have a wire for MS products.

if you use an Apple you will need an adaptor for the conx to the screen.

Food has been mediocre to v. Good...rack of lamb, grilled chicken breast nice...pad Thai terrible. DR morning eggs, soft and poached overcooked.

Toast, English muffins and bagels low quality.

Long lines at the iLounges...screams of frustration over internet conx.

Cutbacks quite evident on ship.

Susan from port of Funchal. April 28 2014

Wow! Things must have changed drastically in two weeks times. We left the ship on April 13 and were very happy with our experience--staff, food, and entertainment. Music was a little loud in some public spaces but that's about the only complaint. Hope things improve for you.

I would be interested to hear what others think of the new brand of tea now found in the buffet, etc. It is also possible that the change in tea is temporary, and was the result of a supply problem, which can happen.

Christine, you are Elite Plus, right? You can get complimentary Tea Forte in Cova or Café al Bacio. My favourite place on the ship!

The complimentary specialty beverages are one of my favourite perks from the enhanced loyalty programme, and I take my hat off to Celebrity for doing a great job there.

I totally agree that the new Elite+ perks are great:) I was wondering about the tea because sometimes I like tea in the MDR. Maybe I can bring my Tea Forte (no agua) to the MDR lol

I was on this cruise, as well, and the tea was not good. I hate the thought of carrying our own tea, but I guess I will.

Wow! Things must have changed drastically in two weeks times. We left the ship on April 13 and were very happy with our experience--staff, food, and entertainment. Music was a little loud in some public spaces but that's about the only complaint. Hope things improve for you.

Agree. We were on the cruise just before the TA and had an absolutely fabulous week. Staff and service was outstanding; even more so apparent to us as we disembarked Silhouette to join Indy - there's another story :eek:.

I was on this cruise, as well, and the tea was not good. I hate the thought of carrying our own tea, but I guess I will.

I take my own tea, because some of the Celebrity waiters claim that they don't have the flavor that I like,

On the same sailing as OP. Don't drink tea, so can't comment. Other than the Terrible Pad Thai( do not know what it was, but not Pad Thai), & the non existent internet, we have found the food very good, & the crew excellent; typical Celebrity. Having a fantastic time. Different strokes for different folks.

A ship's access to the internet is via satellite, which doesn't care where on the globe you are. The problems are mainly caused by the fact that everyone on board shares that same internet connection (which is why you'll normally have an easier time accessing the internet very early in the morning before others are awake).

I realize that some folks have to stay "connected" while on vacation for work and/or family reasons. Many others really do not. A couple of cruises ago, my spouse and I decided to go "unplugged." We realized how much time we spent on line (on things like Cruise Critic ;) ) that we could easily give up (and should give up) while on vacation. So we did not buy an internet package, and it was wonderful to give ourselves that freedom. Again, I totally understand that not everyone can do that.

This is my 4th trans...the first three had excellent internet. Yes there were a

percentage of outs and busy times but in total more than 70 percent of the total cruise was highly satisfactory. On this cruise, less than 10 % has been

satisfactory. Yet the satellite connection has been nearly continuous as the

celebrity.com site was 95 % available and working.

Thank you for the update:) The Millie was in Asia and I guess we didn't get delivery of the new stuff lol

When we were on the Eclipse in February, we found a new brand of tea, Fields & Select. It is distributed in Singapore. I tried the English Breakfast regular and as another poster said it was very weak and flavorless. X seems to change the brand of tea each year. When sailing out of Southhapmton last fall they had a British Brand of Tetley Tea, both regular and decaf. They were very good, but are only used when a ship sails from Southhampton.

We just got off the Sillohutte yesterday. It was our 4th transatlantic and the first one with any internet problems. The frustration from the passengers and the I Lounge staff was at an all time high. I was up in the Lounge, late on night, I was the only one there, and I couldn't get on. Somehow everything got better the last half of the cruise, Sunday, the I Lounge was full almost all day, with people printing boarding passes and it worked for everyone I talked to.

That wasn't the only problem and, the rest, I'm sure were all caused by the cost cutbacks. Comared to what it was in the past, the Captain's Club party was nothing special. the entertainment was mediocre, for the most part, the service (from the kitchen) was slow. The menu was shortened. And to put it bluntly, the fish sucked!! My wife would normally have it 10-12 times on a 15 day cruise. She had it four times and gave up. Once, she sent it back because it was unedible, the other three was so-so. The other four people that sat with us felt the same.

Loud music wasn't a problem.

This was our 14th cruise with Celebrity, and our least favorite. This will not send us packing to some other line, but it will cut back on the number of cruises we take.

We would be willing to pay a little more if things would go back to the way they were a couple of years ago.

We had a great cruise because we didn't care about the internet or tea & just relaxed & enjoyed this gorgeous ship & meeting new friends. It was our 7th transatlantic on Celebrity & there are always some problems when you have so many sea days with lots of Captains Club members.

We did hear some complaining but think some folks just shouldn't travel!:D The crew was trying hard & it was obvious there are some cutbacks. We've tried other cruiselines & still think Celebrity offers the most for our cruise funds.

We splashed out but still got a good deal on an Aqua Class cabin. Dining in Blu was a treat as always. There were many offers from the specialty restaurants for up to 50% off but we really enjoyed the food & company in Blu this time.

In fact, we liked the Sihouette so much we're booked to go again on a B2B in August!

The people who shouldn't travel are the people who just sit back and not complain when things have changed, not for the better. Reminds me of the bobblehead dolls who's head just bobs up and down no matter what. I versed my complaints on the survey I received on line this morning. I hold Celebrity to a higher standard based on past experience and expectations based on those. This cruised did not meet OUR expectations so I voiced it. This board is for all comments, not just the positive ones. Im still a Celebrity fan and I too, have a B2B booked with them.